97 Firebird V6 Auto performance boost - Performance Modifications - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

97 Firebird V6 Auto performance boost

Speed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Drewbird691

Drewbird691

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • First Name:Drew
  • City:Hi-Nella
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:93-03 Pontiac Fire birds and modifications
  • Year: 1997
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

I have a 97 4th generation 3.8L firebird that I just recently installed a new engine in. i would like to BOOST up its performance and keep adding things to it respectfully to enhance it. I would like to keep most of it STOCK. Basically I am looking for a performance muffler, speed chips, and perhaps a super charger of some sort. Anything someone has knowledge of that can assist me. this car has very little wear and tear and I'd like to make it a show piece at some point. Can anyone help me. I am NOT  a mechanic however I have friends who are. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks everyone!

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2944 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted A week ago

My suggestion is to sell your car and buy either a lt1 equipped 4th gen or a ls1 equipped 4th gen. You can buy a nice low mileage example of either one for around the same money you'll put into a supercharged 3.8.

And keep in mind that even with a supercharged 3.8, you'll still not have the torque that a 350 puts down.

#3 Drewbird691

Drewbird691

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted A week ago

I was trying to put slightly more into this one car for sentimental value reasons...It is a great suggestion...but i have already put a few too much into this car as it is....but thanks you!

#4 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13551 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted A week ago

Changing only the muffler will do little other than change the sound.  Very little if any performance gain.  The engine would respond best to headers, a high flow Y-pipe, a high flow catalytic converter, and a larger diameter intermediate pipe, then a less restricted muffler ("catback exhaust").

There is no such thing as "speed chips" for your car.  The only way to change the performance provided by the PCM (computer) is to have the PCM flash programmed by a knowledgeable tuner.  I doubt there is much to be gained on a stock engine.  If you make changes that can significantly increase performance, a PCM tune is required.

The best/easiest upgrade would be a "cold air intake" (CAI) that pulls cooler air from outside the engine compartment.  I don't know how easy they are to find for the 3.8L V6.  Gains will be small, but better than nothing.

A supercharger or turbo would provide more significant gains, but this power/torque gain increases stress on engine components, and may require replacement of expensive internal components like the pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft.  I doubt there are any "kits" available for the 3.8L V6, so it would take some design and custom build.

A new, more aggressive camshaft would probably compliment the CAI and "catback" upgrades.  But this requires significant work to install, can require upgrades to the engine's complete valve train (lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, valve springs), and requires a PCM tune.

Since you live in NJ, where they do emissions inspections, you have to insure any modifications will not create a condition that turns on the SES light, or increases tailpipe emissions.  If they pop the hood, or look under the car, any modifications that are visible have to have a CARB-EO exemption sticker/tag.

We used to have 3.8LV6 enthusiasts who had actually made some decent upgrades, but they all seem to have disappeared.  There is a website specifically for the GM 3.8L V6 that will have more knowledgeable members.

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#5 Drewbird691

Drewbird691

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted A week ago

Thanks Fred! you gave me a lot of useful info...As i can see we both live in NJ. So yes mild upgrades really..... I would like to find someone to help with CPU reprogramming part. I like the cool air in take idea....and the headers...You seem to know your stuff so I thank you!  Oh and by the way what are the websites specifically for the GM 3.8L V6 that you know of ...I will also look....I just really wanna tune what I have up and make it nice. Nothing crazy ...

Any more ideas please let me know anyone thanks a million!

#6 Drewbird691

Drewbird691

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 4 days ago

Would anyone know anybody in New Jersey or close to...that could reprogram the CPU of a 97 Pontiac Fire-bird V6 3.8L  for speed?? Thanks

#7 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2004 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 4 days ago

Any tuner can do it.  ...but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#8 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13551 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 3 days ago

Would anyone know anybody in New Jersey or close to...that could reprogram the CPU of a 97 Pontiac Fire-bird V6 3.8L  for speed?? Thanks

Go back to the second paragraph in post #4.  There is little if anything to be gained on a stock engine.  

You don’t need to find someone in NJ to tune the PCM.  With no mods, or even with common “bolt-on” mods, the tuning is fairly simple, and is typically done by a “mail-order” tuner.  You fill out a comprehensive questionnaire regarding your mods and preferences, you send the PCM to the tuner, he installs a tune supporting the data you sent him, and he sends the PCM back to you.  

Once you start getting beyond “bolt ons”, a mail order tune will probably get you to the 90% point, as long as you have found a knowledgeable tuner.  But change the cam, have the heads ported, go to forced induction, and you will get the best results with a dyno tune.  They strap you car to a dynamometer, and adjust things like ignition timing, A/F ratio, etc.  Not cheap, but if you've invested a couple thousand $$$$ in heads and cam, or much more for forced induction, it’s a necessity.

What do you plan to use this “speed” for? If you just want to be able to pull away from a stop light faster than you can now, simply change your rear axle ratio to 3.73:1.  If your car currently has 3.08 gears, it's going to feel like you added 20% more torque, off the line.  However, you will reach peak RPM sooner (your shift MPH will drop by 20% in each gear) and you will lose some fuel economy.  $200 for gears, $100 for an install kit, and $300-350 for labor.  And, you will need the PCM tuned for the new rear axle ratio, or the speedometer/odometer will be off, and your auto trans shift points may be screwed up.

What rear axle ratio do you have now?  Look at the service parts label for a three character alpha-numeric code starting with “GU”.  You will find GU2, GU3, GU4, etc..  That will tell you the gear ratio, and we can convert that code to a ratio for you.  

Next number to look at on the service parts label is “G80”. That is the code for a limited slip rear axle.  If you don’t find that code, any significant increase in power or higher numerical rear axle ratio is going to result in a “one-legged burnout”..... one rear wheel will lose traction and start slipping/spinning, and the other wheel will stop turning.  Car will sit there smoking one tire.  The limited slip differential corrects this so both wheels deliver torque to the pavement, and the car accelerates rather than sitting there going nowhere.  If you don’t have G80, you're going to have to add at least $450 to that gear swap, for a new limited slip carrier.

Two questions that are painfully interlocked - How fast do you want to go?  How much do you have to spend?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users