Mysterious bolt - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Mysterious bolt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TJTA

TJTA

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • First Name:Thomas
  • City:Oakville
  • State or Province:ON
  • Year: 1980
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 4.9L
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 6 days ago

I would like to know what this bolt is for. Located behind the Right Front Tire bolted to the passenger foot well on one end and the other end is bolted to the transmission housing which bolts up to the block.  

I wanted to try and remove it to clean up the area with a wire brush, but had trouble removing it. When I turned it with a socket, It kept turning like a nut fell off the other end. What is on the other end of this bolt?

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • First Name:Ben
  • City:Sydney
  • State or Province:Other
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 403 Olds

Posted 6 days ago

It's just a giant self tapper into the steel. It's likely stripped the first thread so doesn't grab to thread out. Get a screw driver or similar under it to lever it as you unscrew it until it bites. Clean up the surfaces after for a good contact, replace screw with new or add a thick washer so damaged thread doesn't get used.

#3 TJTA

TJTA

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 3 days ago

So these self taping screws can be reused from what I'm hearing? Trying to save time running around finding a replacement in these times......long line ups everywhere. 

I have had some grounding issues and this is the only screw I haven't cleaned up for the fear of not being able to remove/replace the screw. 

Also, I'm painting the underneath. Will paint at the screws contact point cause grounding issue?

#4 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 3 days ago

So these self taping screws can be reused from what I'm hearing? Trying to save time running around finding a replacement in these times......long line ups everywhere. 

I have had some grounding issues and this is the only screw I haven't cleaned up for the fear of not being able to remove/replace the screw. 

Also, I'm painting the underneath. Will paint at the screws contact point cause grounding issue?

Yes, sand off paint/rust on frame where contact is made, clean the copper both sides, make sure under the bolt head is clean/rust free.  As Ben mentioned, a lot of times you can use a washer and snug the bolt up OK.  After install you can paint if you want because contact points won't get painted.  That ground cable is particularly important on the later computer controlled 2nd gens.

What kind of ground issues are you having?

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#5 TJTA

TJTA

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 3 days ago

I was having starting problems. The starter didn't want to turn over at times. I ended up changing the original starter to a mini high torque on the advise of my engine rebuilder.  The car starts much better now. Should mention that there is a 400 instead of the 301 that came with the car.  The only computer would be the ECU unit which is now disconnected cause that plug coming from the console through the firewall is not being utilized due to the new HEI distributor matched up to the 400.

So I don't have any other computer on the car at this point. 

Actually, the bolt I'm talking about is going through the passenger footwell. My concern was ( silly as it may sound ) is that the bolt is somehow into or close to the carpet area and the bolt wouldn't hold properly after reinstalling it.

Which side would the washer go between?  Bolt and wire or wire and footwell?

Edited by TJTA, 3 days ago.

#6 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 2 days ago

Bolt & wire.

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#7 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted 2 days ago

they make special washers for ground wires.   they have little bent tabs around edges to bite thru paint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users