Valuation of my 1980 Firebird - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Valuation of my 1980 Firebird

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WillE1980

WillE1980

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Bradenton
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1980
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:35 PM

I got a suggestion from another member of this forum to make a post asking for help valuing my Firebird. My profile has a gallery with photos that you can refer to. 

The care is a 1980 Esprit. However, it doesn't have the original engine. It now has a '78 6.6L 400 with an automatic transmission. The body is in great shape--there are no rust holes and it's all steel. There's no bondo and I had the whole body taken care of during my ownership. The hood, right and left fenders, trunk deck, the radiator manifold (I think that's what it's called), and driver's side floorboard have all been replaced. The car runs well--sometimes you have to pump the gas a little to get it into the engine before you fire it, but I'm under the impression that you have to do this for many old cars. There's A/C that blows, but it doesn't get very cold. The lights all work great. The interior is mostly good--there's just a good amount of cosmetic work to be done. The biggest issue is that the dash is cracked a good bit, though there is a cover for it. The carpet doesn't match the rest of the interior (it's sky blue instead of navy). The gas tank, fuel lines and carburetor all got replaced. 

I would say it is very close to, if not, good. Hopefully I'm not being biased but I think especially cause of the body it's pushing good condition. Hagerty says that an '80 Esprit in good condition (fair, good, excellent, concours) has a value of $8,700. Keep in mind that it has the 400 though, so that should have an effect on the value. 

Any ideas on what would be a fair price for this car?

#2 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4175 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:37 AM

If you are wanting a valuation for insurance purposes, you're best getting a professional appraisal. They can accurately assess the value as the car sits now. 

Hagerty's valuation should be fairly close. It's their business to keep up with prices by region. Prices can be different in areas of the country.

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#3 WillE1980

WillE1980

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Bradenton
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1980
  • Model: Firebird
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:44 PM

Ok, I've heard Hagerty offers good estimates. I'm looking to sell and I want to give a fair deal but make sure I can get what the car is worth, too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users