Help Figuring out What my Engine Is - Part Numbers - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo

Help Figuring out What my Engine Is

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WillE1980

WillE1980

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Bradenton
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1980
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 3 weeks ago

I have a 1980 Firebird that I restored with my dad. He was sure that the car had a 400 in it, though it was not the original engine in the car. He passed away a few years ago though, and the car had been sitting while I was at college. I don't know much about the technical aspects of cars--that was all him, so I had taken it to a tires plus to get a few things tuned up because I'm trying to now sell it. The car runs very well and doesn't need a whole lot to be fully restored and I have easily over $10,000 in the car. So I was surprised when the mechanic at the shop told me I could only get about 3 grand for the car. I asked, "even with the 400?" to which he replied that it wasn't. It was either a 301 or 305. As I said, my dad thought it was a 400 and I trust his judgment (he restored tons of classics like camaros, chevelles, and novas over his life). But now that I'm selling it, I want to be 100% confident that I'm selling what I'm advertising. As I said earlier, it's not the original engine, so the VIN doesn't help. The VIN on the engine is not legible. I tried to research some codes, but I can't get to most of where they are supposed to be since all of the parts are on the engine and it's in the car. The numbers I was able to see were these:

- "1846667P" which was underneath something that said "firing order"

- "F 218" that was below the previous number

- 6X on the heads

I don't know if any of that is useful, but I've been researching how to tell what engine this is and I can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated!

#2 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2006 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 3 weeks ago

6x heads were used by the factory on 350,400,455.  Not sure if the could go on smaller engines tho.  Could the 667 be 557?  I can't find a 667 block code but know 557 was used on 400's. I think F218 means it was cast June 21, 1978.  I would probably side with your father and call it a 400, but, I don't know much about 2nd gens.  Just going on what I think I have picked up on from hanging around here.  I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Careful with mechanics, this one could be after the car.   Go to Hagerty.com and use the valuation tool to determine an actual fair value.  Be realistic about the condition using it, dont call poor fair, fair good, or good excellent. They track these cars and know what their true worth is in any condition.  Collectors seem to agree with their valuations.   You could also upload a bunch of photos to your gallery/garage or over a few posts here and the 2nd gen guys might be able to help you determine a value as well.

I'm just north of you in Pasco and might be interested with cash in hand.  So let me know what you want when your ready.

And sorry to add this bit, but, forget about having a single dollar in the car.  A car is worth what it is worth.  You could put over $100k into a Firebird and be lucky to immediately get $30k out of it.  There was a time when high dollar resto-mods were a hot item, but even those days are gone.  Unless Chip Foose, Boyd Coddington, or some other legend laid hands on it, lr it's something rare and special,it's just another 'bird and is valued as such.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#3 WillE1980

WillE1980

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Bradenton
  • Year: 1980
  • Model: Firebird
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 3 weeks ago

Ok, thank you for the help. I've taken a look a Hagerty and I'll post some pictures and information on the car and see if anyone can help with a value. I'm ready to sell as soon as possible, so feel free to take a look at my postings and we can talk about the sale. 

#4 War Bird

War Bird

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Brian
  • City:Jackson
  • State or Province:MI
  • Year: 1976
  • Model: Formula
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 2 weeks ago

On the drivers side of the block in front of the motor mount should be a casting that says 400. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users