Broke front caliper bolts - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Broke front caliper bolts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ramwood93

Ramwood93

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • City:Lewistown
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: V6
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:20 PM

I was trying to replace my brake pads and wheel hub assembly, and ended up breaking both caliper bolts. I can't slide the caliper back far enough to go over the broken bolts, and I can't remove one of the pads to give me enough room to move the caliper over the broken bolts to remove it. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Attached Files

#2 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2048 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:51 PM

All I can think of is drilling it down to the point you can remove the caliper and get a bite on it with vise-grips, or if there is enough room, cutting it with a hacksaw blade without the hacksaw. That would be slow and miserable tho. Maybe there is another method I'm not thinking of someone else could suggest.

Worst case you may just have to bite the bullet and destroy the calipers in one way or another and buy new ones or go to the junkyard for a used set.  After exhausting all other posibilities, a hammer to shatter the caliper casting or cheap ($20 or less) angle grinder and cutting wheel from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool isn't going to hurt.

Cleanest extraction I see tho is drilling.

Strange you got the bolts backed out so far before they snapped.

...maybe if you had an angle grinder you could cut the pads out without damaging the caliper, but even then you might not have the room to slip the caliper past the bolt.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#3 Ramwood93

Ramwood93

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • City:Lewistown
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: V6
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:13 PM

I think I only moved the bolt by a couple threads from the looks of it. The bolt is also the slider, it looks like all the threads go into the bracket, and not the caliper. It's amazing how quickly a simple job can turn into a nightmare. I was already thinking about busting the pads or the caliper,but I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good caliper. It didn't appear to me like there would be enough room to even get a drill with a bit in the wheel well to drill straight.

#4 SoCalTA

SoCalTA

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • First Name:Jorge
  • City:Agua Dulce
  • State or Province:CA
  • Year: 1997
  • Engine: LT-1
  • Transmission: M^

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

a couple things come to mind ... try and get BP penetrating onto the threads .. see if over time it can wick its way to give some relief.

if not .. try and see if you can heat the caliper to see if that expansion can help relieve the bolt ... and allow you to possible drill through the bolt perpendicular to it and maybe get something  in to turn it...

maybe you have to go the long way and take so of the associated suspension pieces off to give you more clearance ....

NOTE - totally empathize with you ... I've been trying to take my headers off for several weeks ..and nothing about it is easy .... you hope it does .. but never seems to ... always a gremlin willing to piss on your parade .. 

Edited by SoCalTA, 09 May 2020 - 06:19 PM.

#5 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3033 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:14 AM

spray penetrating oil such as pb blaster, not only on threads, but also into bolt hole in caliper. It's the corrosion on bolt shaft that is holding caliper on. When using oil to free caliper, hit it softly with a small hammer. This sets up vibration that can help the oil break the rust free.

As bad as corrosion looks in pic, I would repeat the spray & tap procedure every couple of hours. Do this for 1 day. Then spray & tap 4 times the 2nd & 3rd day. Hopefully caliper will slide off with some taps with hammer.

When you put everything back together, even if you have to get a new caliper, use new bolts coated with anti seize compound.

You can tell if a fastener is going to break, when removing it. The high fricton will generate an enormous abount of heat. So if bolt is hot to the touch, stop trying to remove it and spray it down with pb blaster or equivalent.

#6 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 1996
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:59 AM

Steve, Check with auto parts store or Harbor Freight for a Screw/ Bolt Extractor Kit. Sometimes it will have reverse drill bits in it. Otherwise regular drill bits and a right angle drill motor. Sometimes you can use a flex shaft with a collate on the end to drill with. Take your time, drill straight, penetrating oil while drilling, when turning the extractor tool tap on the end to help break the bolt free. Good Luck, Pete

#7 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted 10 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

take the two caliper bracket bolts out and you can remove caliper and bracket then seperate them to work on it

• tom99 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users