Coolant Leak - General Engine (Non-Gen Specific) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Coolant Leak

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cstiger29

cstiger29

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • First Name:Sidney
  • City:CLARKSDALE
  • State or Province:MS
  • Year: 1998
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8L
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 4 weeks ago

I have coolant leaking from the holes behind the power steering pump of my Series II 3.8L. I just finished a refresh on the engine. I refreshed the engine because my intake gasket was leaking, but there was no external leak before. I also have a misfire code in cylinder #1 and 185 psi on that cylinder.

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2950 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 4 weeks ago

Did you do a compression test on other cylinders? That way you could see if they have about the same compression. Do test other cylinders.

I'm not real familiar with the 3.8 v6. You need to remove pump and see if those hole communicate with water jacket. If they do either something was left off engine. Or you may need to put a bolt or stud coated with thread sealer into holes if threaded.

I'm not going to comment on the 185 psi compression on cyl #1. But don't be running engine much. This is because, if coolant is entering that cylinder, engine could be hydro locked by the water. But I'm being cautious as it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, engines I've worked on that locked up do to water in cyl, had way higher compression.

So remove spark plug. Have assistant crank engine while you watch for coolant coming out of spark plug hole. And don't forget to get compression reading on a couple more cylinders.

#3 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13558 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 4 weeks ago

Is it possible the plastic elbow(s) for the heater hoses, located behind the belt tensioner are leaking?  Very common problem on the 3800 engine.  Metal replacement elbows, with improved O-rings are available.  

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#4 cstiger29

cstiger29

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Is it possible the plastic elbow(s) for the heater hoses, located behind the belt tensioner are leaking?  Very common problem on the 3800 engine.  Metal replacement elbows, with improved O-rings are available.  

That was the first place I checked. I already have the metal ones on there as I just refreshed the engine. They aren't leaking. The hole the coolant is pouring out of is threaded. I put a 8m fastener in it and it stopped. I going to the part store in the morning to find a fastener short enough to fit in the hole completely.

#5 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2950 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 4 weeks ago

Don't forget the thread sealant. I use the stuff made for plumbers.

#6 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13558 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 4 weeks ago

What exactly did you do as part of "a refresh on the engine", beyond repairing the intake gasket?  Looking at the 3800 engine repair in the factory service manual, the engine has external thread block plugs for the coolant jacket, and one of them appears to be on the passenger side of the engine, at the front.  Is that possibly something that was removed as part of the "refresh"?

Personally, I'd be a bit concerned about a threaded hole in the front of the engine that is "gushing" coolant.  Something was not reinstalled.

Not trying to pester you.... Unfortunately, while this site has a number of 3800 owners, we don't get many responses from them.  In this case you received responses from two 4th Gen LT1 owners.  I will freely admit I know little about the 3800,  But when the 3800 owners don't jump in, I'm just trying to fill the void.

#7 cstiger29

cstiger29

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

What exactly did you do as part of "a refresh on the engine", beyond repairing the intake gasket?  Looking at the 3800 engine repair in the factory service manual, the engine has external thread block plugs for the coolant jacket, and one of them appears to be on the passenger side of the engine, at the front.  Is that possibly something that was removed as part of the "refresh"?

Personally, I'd be a bit concerned about a threaded hole in the front of the engine that is "gushing" coolant.  Something was not reinstalled.

Not trying to pester you.... Unfortunately, while this site has a number of 3800 owners, we don't get many responses from them.  In this case you received responses from two 4th Gen LT1 owners.  I will freely admit I know little about the 3800,  But when the 3800 owners don't jump in, I'm just trying to fill the void.

Basically I removed everything but the camshaft and pistons, sent the heads off and went back with new gaskets everywhere. My assumption was that a plug was missing, but I don't remember removing one; nor do I understand why i would. Unless the previous owner removed it and replaced it with a fastener. This threaded hole is on the driver side. I removed most fasteners and plugged the holes before I painted the block. Being that it is behind the power steering pump, I can't imagine anything more than a plug was there. I put a 8m x 12mm fastener there and all is well as far as coolant leaks.

Now I'm troubleshooting rough idle and stalling that I assume is coming from a misfire. My scan tool is gave me P0155 (I think dont have it in front of me right now), P0301 and P0366. Did not have the last two codes before before I put the coolant in the engine. I'm assuming that maybe the coolant leaked on the camshaft sensor and made it go bad. Any suggestions? Going to try a new plugs and a wire set first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users