Looking for some Comfortable Aftermarket Seats - Interior - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Looking for some Comfortable Aftermarket Seats

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StuntThug

StuntThug

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • First Name:Thom
  • City:Senoia
  • State or Province:GA
  • Year: 1978
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LS3
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:32 PM

Maybe leaning towards a 4 point harness for the front seats also. Who has put in some aftermarkets that they like? Also for reference I am 6'1" and 260lbs.

Thom

1978 Bandit

Senoia, GA

#2 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2027 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:06 PM

Not aftermarket, but the 4th gen seats are extremely comfortable if you get the ones with adjustable thigh support.  I'm same height as you (in shoes) and I have a very messed up hip, back, shoulder, and neck from a nasty auto accident.  I looked for *months* at replacement vehicles. The seats were the killer.  Literally couldn't sit for 5 minutes without extreme pain.  Saw the Trans Am I have now, sat down, wasn't comfortable for me at all.  Adjusted the back and sides, better but still loading up my hip.  Adjusted the thigh support, SOLD!   See if you can find a 4th gen for sale around town and see if it has the thigh support, not all do, my neighbors 2000 T/A doesn't.  Try it though.  If you like it, shouldn't be hard to locate a set.

...my criteria for my next car is V8, stick, adjustable thigh support.  The first two are getting hard to find together.  That 3rd requirement, nearly impossible, but also the most important.  I may end up in a German car next, they are literally the only makes where all 3 are easy to come by.  Might also get a 'vette and move my seats into it.  They really are that good.  Don't count them out, just be aware it's a manual ratchet style adjustment and not power.  You lift it up by hand. Get it too high and the mechanism releases the latch and it falls back to flat, like an old patio/lounge chair.

Good luck, I know first hand how impossible comfortable is.  Trust me when I say I can't spend more than 30 minutes in 99% of car seats, but can literally sit all day in my 93 Trans Am.  Comfort is subjective, and I'm a special case, but I think if they work so well for me, they should be pure Heaven for everyone else once properly adjusted.

• StuntThug likes this

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#3 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2987 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:11 AM

My 95 trans am had the driver seat with the supports. They were operated by a small air pump under the seat.

• StuntThug likes this

#4 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4173 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:19 AM

A lot of people use 2004-2006 GTO seats in their resto-mods. They claim they are very comfortable. 

Good to see you here again Thom.

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#5 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2027 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • Year: 1993
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:14 PM

My 95 trans am had the driver seat with the supports. They were operated by a small air pump under the seat.

Well yes, a lot of cars have inflatable lumbar and side restraints. As does mine.  I'm talking about "thigh support".  The middle of the base of the seat from the front edge to about 8" back.  It literally lifts your knees and supports your thighs from underneath.

Not a power option, it's hinged at the rear and has a ratchet mechanism. 

Many might not even know it's there because there is no button.  You have to physically lift it up into position to set it, and lift it all the way up to release the latch mechanism to lower it.

My body is jacked.  That thigh support is the difference between driving for hours comfortably or screaming from extreme pain in a matter of minutes. 

It makes all the difference in comfort. 

Also, since it lifts the knees, it shortens the length to your feet to the pedals.  You can sit closer to the wheel.  It also supports the thigh real good when holding the clutch down.  Seriously, takes a huge load off the body.

I could have bought a very nice low mileage (57,000) 2000 Trans Am for $6,000.  It's  Arrest Me Red, don't like red but for the price, OK.  It has T-Tops, I hate T-Top cars, but for the price, OK. It has working A/C, I want A/C, it's an automatic, uuugh too many compromises but again, nice car, desperate seller, right place, right time.  I'm in.   ...go to drive car, adjust inflatable back and sides,  good, reach for the thigh support, doesn't have it.  Sorry Paul, I can't drive this car, so I can't buy it.  Paul asks why, I walk him to my house, open my car,  put the thigh support down, have him get in and get comfortable, then have him adjust his thighs.  "Holy S***!, that's nice!" Is an exact quote.

I don't know why some Trans Am's have the thigh support and some don't or if it was a early years option cut to lower cost. I just know that I looked at over 100 cars before stumbling onto the 93 T/A, and if a single one, even a 90s Geo Metro had the thigh support, that's what I'd be driving.  I literally bought the T/A for the drivers seat.  Sure, ideally I wanted a v8 and stick, but that is not what was important after my accident once I began walking again.  I got lucky with my 'bird all around.  Looking back, I guess I could have bought the 2000 from my neighbor, installed my interior and transmission, and enjoyed air conditioning.  ...but it would still be red and have t-tops. 

Layna:  thanks for the tip on the GTO. I've been looking at those but they are hard to find with under 70,000mi with a manual.  I'll have to sit in one and see if it too has the thigh support, that might sway my opinion about the Grand Am's and Toyota Corrola's offspring.  ;)

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#6 StuntThug

StuntThug

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • First Name:Thom
  • City:Senoia
  • State or Province:GA
  • Year: 1978
  • Engine: LS3
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:31 AM

A lot of people use 2004-2006 GTO seats in their resto-mods. They claim they are very comfortable. 

Good to see you here again Thom.

Thanks! Yeah it's been a while. I had some severe anger issues with my TA due to bad dealings with a mechanic. Had to take a break LOL. Good to be back!

Thom

1978 Bandit

Senoia, GA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)