Checking in on my body work. - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Checking in on my body work.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • First Name:Jim
  • City:Bentonville
  • State or Province:AR
  • Interests:Shooting and antiques
  • Year: 1980
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 301
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:26 PM

Its been a few months and its still not done. Not sure what is going on. I keep getting different messages from the body shop. I know the decal kit is not in yet and because of the virus its behind. I picked up my truck for hail damage today and asked about the Pontiac. He said he was not able to get a bumper skin and so has a plastic welder and will repair it. What is a plastic welder? Is this legit? The shop owner told me that its better than new and that they don't do it because its labor intensive. Never heard of this before. Thanks.

Edited by edteach, 28 April 2020 - 02:28 PM.

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3029 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

Plastic welding is a legit process for certain plastics. In order to be welded, the plastic must be able to be melted. When the plastic melts, it's similar to welding steel. The broken areas can be repaired because plastic welders use filler rod to add new plastic to the part. The filler rod must be the same type of plastic that is being welded. Of course the heat level is much lower in plastic welding than steel welding.

However, many plastics on the market can't be welded because they are thermoset plastics. These plastics are cured with heat, and once cured, can not be melted. They will burn before they melt.

So, your job is to do a google search on plastics. Find out which are thermoset and which plastics are not. Then search firebird database and see what types of plastic were used on your 1980 bird. You'll then know which pieces are weldable.

#3 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2047 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:04 PM

As SeaDog said, 100% legit.  Had the cowl of my '85 Goldwing "welded" when the weak spots made themselves known and it worked out very well.  I wouldn't worry about it.  If this guy knows as much about 2nd gens as you've said, he knows the material is compatible with the process.  Trust the professional.  Hard to do when your baby is in their hands, but, they have the knowledge, skills, and equipment we do not.

Have a look at frankspontiacparts.com  Franks might have a good bumper cover available, if so, point him that direction.  Shipping may add days, but that's cheaper than adding hours.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users