4th gen seats into a 2nd gen? - Interior - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

4th gen seats into a 2nd gen?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fireforeffect

fireforeffect

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • First Name:Jason
  • City:Sykesville
  • State or Province:MD
  • Year: 1978
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am WS6
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:44 AM

Searched the forum, nothing returning. Has anyone installed 5th gen seats into their 2nd gen T/A? My '78's seats are sagging and beat, I bought a pristine set of leather 4th gen power seats I want to install. 1st thing I notice is the bolt patter is way off, so requires an adapter bracket or for me to make adapter plates. Before I go the "no man has gone before" route, asking here. Any insights/experience is valued. Not worried about wiring the seats, will wire on a separate fuzed curcuit. I'm 6'4", lumbar support and thigh bolsters are a must... 

#2 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13600 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:01 AM

Do you mean 4th Gen Firebird seats?  There is no 5th Gen.

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#3 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2982 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:09 AM

Did you mean 5th gen camaro or corvette?

You Might be able to fit your 5th gen seats into car. Mark where to drill bolt holes in floor boards. Then you can simply bolt new seats in place. That is if 5th gen seats have both parts of seat track on seat. Some cars have the bottom piece of track welded to floor boards.

#4 fireforeffect

fireforeffect

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:37 AM

4th gen, sorry. Seats came out of a 2000 T/A w/ 12k miles on it before it was parted out. Might be why I didn't find anything searching... mea culpa. 

#5 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2982 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:49 AM

Since 4th gen seats have holes in track to mount to studs already on floorboards of 4th gen f-bodies, My suggestion would be to fit seats onto floorboards. Then mark where bolt holes are.

Then weld 5/16  or 8mm studs onto floorboards. Attach seats to floorboards with 5/16 or 8mm nuts nuts. The sizes I give are the sizes of studs and hole in nuts. Not the wrench size used to tighten them. And don't mix US and metric sizes. All studs & nuts should be 1 or the other.

But first, make sure 4th gen seats fit in your car with center console installed, and make sure ,with door panels installed, can shut without hitting seats.

#6 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13600 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

I'll edit the topic title to read “4th Gen”

#7 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2982 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:02 AM

If you decide to weld in studs to 2nd gen floor pans, keep in mind that studs are much thicker than floor pans are. When you weld, have the stud held in place. Then weld a bead on the floor pan around the stud. This will require a low power setting on welder.

Once you have the bead of weld on floor pan, you can turn welder power level up high enough to weld the stud to the bead already laid down. If you tried welding stud directly to pan, the high setting needed to penertrate stud would burn through the thinner metal of pan.

And always disconnect both battery cables before welding, if using an electric welder.

#8 fireforeffect

fireforeffect

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

If you decide to weld in studs to 2nd gen floor pans, keep in mind that studs are much thicker than floor pans are. When you weld, have the stud held in place. Then weld a bead on the floor pan around the stud. This will require a low power setting on welder.

Once you have the bead of weld on floor pan, you can turn welder power level up high enough to weld the stud to the bead already laid down. If you tried welding stud directly to pan, the high setting needed to penertrate stud would burn through the thinner metal of pan.

And always disconnect both battery cables before welding, if using an electric welder.

Outstanding advice, many thx. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users