79 ' bad fusible link? - Electrical - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

79 ' bad fusible link?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sammywayne23

sammywayne23

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Sam
  • City:Cedar Falls
  • State or Province:IA
  • Year: 1979
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 403 Olds
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:32 PM

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 79' TA. After climbing around the car for a while I decided to put a new battery in and see what I could get. I did have the lights come on but nothing else. It's a 403 car that is all original with 80k on her. I climbed underneath the car and snapped a pic of the starter..maybe you guys could explain what I am looking at? Are the 2 red wires coming off the post where the battery cable is tied to fusible links? Or are they further up those two wires? The engine bay on this car is very packed compared to the 50's cars I am used to...will take some getting used to.

Thanks for any input! 

Sam

Attached Files

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3073 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:24 AM

The fusible links on this era of GM car were at starter. You can test them by, disconnecting battery. Then remove wires from starter terminal. Using your multimeter set to resistance, move down wire from terminal about a foot. This gets you past the fusible part of wire.

Pierce insulation so you can touch bare wire with meter probe. Touch 2nd probe to bare terminal of wire. If link is good, you will get 0 ohms indicating continuity of wire being tester. If no continuity, link is blown.

Test all starter wires this way. After your done, clean wire and seal open area where you pierced insulation with some silicon sealant.

#3 sammywayne23

sammywayne23

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Sam
  • City:Cedar Falls
  • State or Province:IA
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 403 Olds
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:14 PM

So I did a continuity test on my wires and the wire running to my fuse box did have a bad fusible link. I ran to o'reillys and picked up a new one...soldered it in and voila, I had power again...now time to change fluids and check EVERYTHING. I'll post in the 2nd gen forum. I added a pic of what the wires going to the starter look like as this might help some other people with diagnosing.

Sam

Attached Files

Edited by sammywayne23, 23 April 2020 - 05:14 PM.

• ZumpTA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users