Stuck Hood - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Stuck Hood

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KrikitKoyote

KrikitKoyote

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • First Name:Nathan
  • City:Kimberley
  • State or Province:BC
  • Interests:Fast cars and metal guitars
  • Year: 1979
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:27 PM

Hey guys, complete rookie here. I don't have much mechanical experience, but I grew up in a racing family, and I've always wanted to build a car I could drive to the track, have some fun with for the day, then drive home (provided I don't have too much fun and blow it up!). To that end, I recently bought a '79 Firebird to play with. It's been hot rodded before I ever got my hands on it, and I'm still working on figuring how much of it has been worked on. On the surface, none of the bodywork is aligned. All the doors are off, and the hood is WAY out. I knew this, but in a lapse of judgement I closed it all the way for the first time. Now I absolutely can not get it to open, even a little bit. Is there any better option before I drill a hole in it to access the mechanism? Bearing in mind this hood is already dented and bastardized with a bad hood scoop that I am not a fan of. I've also noticed in my research that these hoods seem to be notoriously difficult. Has anybody found a better solution to the stock latch?

#2 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:34 PM

see if you can remove the grill inserts and unbolt latch.   or try to access from below    or get out the cut off tool and hack it apart

#3 Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • First Name:Ben
  • City:Sydney
  • State or Province:Other
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 403 Olds

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:17 AM

Get someone else to put weight on front of hood while you pull cable. Otherwise, as mentioned, pull grille. But that still only gives you access to what the cable pulls on.

#4 KrikitKoyote

KrikitKoyote

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:05 PM

The grille is already out. The hood latch cable in fact is not there at all, and reaching through the grille is currently the only way to pull on the latch. I've had someone put weight on it, even going as far as standing and jumping direcly on it.

#5 KrikitKoyote

KrikitKoyote

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 08:09 PM

Found a great solution, worked beautifully. A jack with a board allowed me to apply pressure under the hood right in front of the latch without damaging anything. I was able to pull the hood release cable and apply pressure with the jack and push the hood up. I immediately removed the latch mechanism to clean it, and reinstall it after I've properly aligned the hood. It turned out the hood was shifted way off to the side, so it was held down by pressure against the latch. Make sure your hoods are straight before you slam them closed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users