how long have you owned your Trans Am/ Firebird - Open Discussions - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

how long have you owned your Trans Am/ Firebird

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jet A

Jet A

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • First Name:nick
  • City:rock city
  • State or Province:GA
  • Interests:play drums for Red Dirt Mountain
  • Year: 1987
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: Chevrolet 400 sb
  • Transmission: 5 sp manual

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:12 AM

Just wondering how long people have owned their cars. I have owned 2 Firebirds. The first one was a 77 Formula light blue with dark blue striping, light blue interior, 403, 350 turbo trans. man I loved that car.. kept it until the bitter end until I couldn't any longer.. life, money, time, whatever could get in the way.. got in the way from me keeping it. Owned from 1992 to 1998.

My second one 2017 to present is a 1987 base Firebird. It's kind of fun to see the transformations the 3rd gens made from the 2nd gens. The biggest being the hatch vs trunk. The glass on the back of the 3rd's is so big and heavy .. but it's a pretty cool design. You can fit a lot more in a 3rd with the back seat folded down vs the trunk space of a 2nd although I use to fit my whole drum set in my 77 to get to gigs lol.. bass drum on the passenger seat, toms n snares in the back seats, cymbals and hardware in the trunk... miss those days.

#2 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 1996
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:51 AM

Nick, My 1996 T/A is my first one. I bought it in February 2017 with 97,000 miles on it, from the original owner. She always referred to her car as "her "96 Pontiac". I bought it because it only had 97K miles. When I saw it, I almost didn't take it. I test drove it and now it has 125,000 +. I had to do some repair to it, brakes, radiator, water pump twice, a/c compressor and several little things. I believe it is a keeper! Pete

#3 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2007 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:47 PM

Bought my '93 6-spd Trans Am on Jan 1st 2004 for $4,000.  It had 67,000 miles on it but the paint was in rough condition, the interior was beat up a little, and the guy thought the rear-end was shot because of a shudder when cornering.  Rear end just needed some posi-trac additive, but the clutch was so bad it couldn't do a burn out.   Now it has 189,000 miles, the interior is complete, and the paint is much worse but it is still a very strong performer and can smoke the tires and kick the rear out from 45MPH with a flick of the clutch.  It's been very reliable. Doesn't like ethanol tho.  I easily get over 20MPG city on E0 and am lucky to see 15MPG on E10.

When I was 16 I traded a high mileage Dodge Aries for an early '70s Esprit.  It was a good runner but a total  beater and rigged to high heaven.  So much so, it only had rear (drum) brakes.  Late one night I had to hit the brakes hard and ended up off road at speed and down into and up out of a 8 foot deep drainage ditch.  Car was dead.  Replaced the distributor at great cost as I didn't turn wrenches then and that got it going, but within a week it became apparent I had piggybacked a main bearing.  Traded it straight up for a '78 Lincoln Town Car Continental with a 460/4bbl.

I did own 3 other F-bodys.  An '80 4-spd Z28 I bought from a mechanic.  Not stock.  With the right tires, it could pull the front end up a foot or so, it ran mid-11s with 18yo me driving.  Still my favorite as I love the 2nd Gens and it was brown, but my '93 is definitely tied with it for 1st place.  Also has a '88 Camaro RS. Bought new.  2.8L auto.  Very disappointing all around.  The interior rattled, the rear main seal let go at about 13,000mi, and I drove it wide open everywhere and went nowhere.  I actually traded even for the '80 Z28.  Later on I also had an '88 IROC.  Very tame and boring after the '80 Z28.  Actually, my '93 is the closest I've come to that kind of power and straight line performance after owning 17 other cars and trucks not mentioned.  Overall, the F-body platform is my favorite, Pontiac or Chevy, but I do hold the Pontiac's a bit higher.

My '93 is also the longest I've owned a car, and if you saw how bad it looks you'd question my sanity but it is the most satisfied I've ever been with a car.  It's been extremely reliable, needed very few and inexpensive repairs, gets great fuel economy, handles AND rides very well, and is always complimented when I'm out in it. Also, the seats are very comfortable for my extremely jacked up spine.  That adjustable thigh support makes all the difference.  I'll have to buy German to get that anywhere else. I have driven the '93 extremely hard nearly every mile and it doesn't care.  I think it'll easily hit 300,000mi.

2nd gens are most certainly "my style".  I like round flowing design and loved how the front end wrapped around the round sealed beam headlights, so personally, I rank them: Early 2nd, 4th, 1st, Late 2nd, 3rd.  Not hating on the 3rd gen, definitely would have one, it's just my least favorite favorite.  My dream car is a 73 or 74 455SD 4-spd.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#4 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:41 PM

I've owned my 68 for 35 yrs   it is a unrestored car with exception of carpet and engine rebuild.   I owned another 68 before it but some guy hit me and totaled it so I stripped it for parts and junked it.   also owned a 74 esprit for my girl in the 80's

#5 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:31 PM

I've had a bunch of Camaros and Firebirds. My first street car was a '68 Camaro in '74 I swore I'd keep forever, it was stolen.  Currently have a '67 Camaro RS SS convertible and my '70 bird.

The Firebird was born as an Esprit. I bought it around '90 for $190.00, yes one hundred ninety dollars.  That's what it was listed for and I didn't argue. Was sitting in a backyard for 13? years before I bought it. I did a lot of work to it, raced it at various tracks from New England to FL.  It was in Popular Hot Rodding and Hot Rod as well as a couple other magazines before they all went out of business. I've had it 30 years and it's currently in the process of a bare metal rotisserie restoration with lots of upgrades. Here's a bunch of pics.

Scan_Pic0006.jpg

Scan_Pic0003.jpg

004.jpg

003_zpsgdurjirj.jpg

14less008.jpg

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#6 2twich

2twich

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:JP
  • City:East Aurora
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, Pontiacs cars, Colt pistols, craft beer
  • Year: 1969
  • Model: Firebird

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well, thanks for asking - back in 1988, I bought my '69 project/hobby driver that needed a lot of TLC - not more than 3 yrs into the project, a new family took priorities of  time and money, but the motor & tranny rebuild was finished along with new body parts including front valance, RF fender, hood, and a half-assed paint (I'm still mad about all the over spray).  Over the past two years the projected continued and with a lot more time & money we have her road worthy with a nice fresh interior (carpeting, seats reupholstered, and door panels).   One of the best upgrades was a disc brake conversion on the front, but she still wanders a little bit (steering linkage ?).    Maybe if it ever stops snowing here in the northeast, we'll get her out of her winter slumber.   In the meantime, my long term relationship of now more than 32 years keeps a smile on my face.  Take care fellow Firebird enthusiasts !  -2twich-

#7 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4161 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted 3 weeks ago

lol, where to start!!!!

1971 Formula (profile picture), my dad purchased it in 1977 as an extra car for the family to use. He put 70's custom paint on it, side pipes and turbine mags. We showed it and ton's of fun with it. After my sister and I moved away from home, the car sat till I convinced dad to sell it to me. life happened and it wound up sitting for a while. Did a complete restoration to show room that was finished in 2009. Was lucky enough to have the car featured in High Performance Pontiac and individual photos in several others. Have won some great awards over the years also.

1970 Camaro, 350 auto, gold and black with orange hood. I owned that car for about a year then traded it for a high fuel mileage roller skate type car.

1979 Camaro Z-28, 350 auto, black with red & orange stripes. Owned that one for about a year then traded it for the next one.

1984 Camaro, 4 cy 4 speed. California car that ate transmissions. when it needed the 4th one replaced. I was getting ready to move to the snow belt so off it went in exchange for a 4x4 pickup.

1968 Firebird Convertible, 69 b-body 400 and auto. I intentionally purchased this car to do as a resto-mod. It was supposed to have been a Cali car. Turned out only in Cali part of it's life. TONS of rust, well hidden by seller. So far it's been stripped apart, had most of the metal work done, need to finish welding in 1 floor pan and replace some patch panels in the rear quarters. Then it's ready to media blast and start putting it back together. I have a street/strip 200 4R transmission for it, 4 wheel disc brakes....... build post in the 1st gen showroom.

Fiance has a 79 10th Anniversary that needs restored.

We have a 1984 Trans Am that's basically all original. Needs interior redone and a paint job. Runs great other than needing a power steering pump.

1980 Trans Am, was a 301 turbo and automatic, now has a Buick 455. Don't ask, it came that way, lol.

and a 79-81 (not sure of the year), needs an engine and transmission as soon as we go get the car.

Then there's

supercharged 02 Grand Prix

03 Grand Am

And our newest project, a Nascar cup car that needs engine, transmission and a few other parts, lol. It will be getting headlights, tail lights and wipers to become a street legal race car.

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#8 WillE1980

WillE1980

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Bradenton
  • Year: 1980
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 3 weeks ago

I bought my 1980 Esprit back in 2015. I wanted a classic to restore with my dad for my first car--he probably restored and flipped 30 cars over his life from camaros to mustangs to chevells and so on. We were actually coming back from looking at a '71 Javlin that was completely rusted out when we saw the Firebird just sitting in the driveway with a government repossession warning stuck to the windshield. We came in, made an offer and I've had it ever since. Not much about the car was original, lucky for me it got a 400 dropped in it that my dad was able to work some magic on. The 1st and 2nd gen camaro and firebirds have always been some of my favorite cars, so she's been a kid's dream to drive around for the past 5 years. 

#9 2twich

2twich

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:JP
  • City:East Aurora
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, Pontiacs cars, Colt pistols, craft beer
  • Year: 1969

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nice story WillE - you sure can send me some southerly breezes to warm us up... sounds like you have a pretty cool Dad that enjoys working on cars with his family... good for you and welcome aboard !  -2twich-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users