2.8 V6 Twin Turbo? - All Things V6 - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

2.8 V6 Twin Turbo?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Thatclappedsilverado

Thatclappedsilverado

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:Andrew
  • City:Huntingdon
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Chevrolet
  • Model: K1500
  • Engine: 5.0 V8
  • Transmission: NV3500

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:49 PM

Exscuse me if i sound stupid but im new to these forums.

My buddy has a 1982 Fireburd that we have dubbed the fireturd because its cause on fire twice now. and its overall just a turd. Its a 2.8 v6 auto, the car has around 260k on it but the engine is in pretty good shape for the age. I was thinkign about buying it off of him once i get back from basics, and i was wondering if anyone has done a manual swap and what transmissions would work on it and if anyone has done a turbo 2.8.

Its a junkyard car with a salvage title so i was planning on making either a road-coarse or drift build out of it, so its not really worth much of anything.

Anyways if anyone has done this and can tell me if it would  be a good idea to atleast use the chassis then that would be great, i dont know what to look for on these cars so any help is appreciated.

Side note, im gonna have a 305 laying around once i get my 383 built for my truck so if itheres nothing i can do to the 2.8 then ill build the 305 and throw a twin turbo cx racing kit on it

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2987 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 12 April 2020 - 06:42 AM

Welcome to the forum.

You said it yourself, car is junk. So why would you want to spend 1000's of dollars making a twin turbo with all the other mods needed to support the hp & torque.

By the way, the only manual trans that fits the 60 degree v6 is the weak sister t-5. To make the t-5 withstand the torque of the twin turbo, you'd have to buy a super t-5 which will add $2500 or more to the project.

Do your car a favor, shoot it and put her out of her misery. Then go out and buy a lt1 or ls1 equipped bird. A nice example would probably be less $$$ then modding the 82.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users