What is the cheapest aftermarket fuel pump I can find? - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

What is the cheapest aftermarket fuel pump I can find?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jdcraft92

jdcraft92

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • First Name:Josh
  • City:Springfield
  • State or Province:MO
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Firebird
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7 LS1
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 09 March 2020 - 01:35 PM

So I was already planning to sell this 2002 Firebird I bought that turned out to be a lemon. I just found out the fuel pump is bad which can be a pretty expensive fix. If I was planning to keep this car I would get the Oem part but Im selling this car so aftermarket is fine. One mechanic told me that my cheapest option was buying off Amazon. I tried looking and Im not sure which to get though? Can someone please tell me what part I need? The car is parked and wont start right now, so I wanted to just get it started and drive it to the mechanic. Ive heard that you can jack it up and knock on the fuel pump or something to start it, but Im not sure how. Does anyone know how to do that?

#2 jdcraft92

jdcraft92

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

Found this and I think it might be what I need?

Electric Fuel Pump Replacement for Chevrolet Camaro Pontiac Firebird 1999 2000 2001 2002 V6 3.8L Module Assembly w/Sending Unit E3369M https://www.amazon.c...i_-1RzEbT90BH12

#3 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2021 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:19 PM

Think long and hard about what you're asking, then seriously consider selling the car at a discount.  Starter fluid will prove it runs.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#4 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 1996
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:23 PM

Josh, Are you sure the fuel pump is bad? There are a few things that will keep the fuel pump from turning on. There are several threads telling you what and how to check. It is a bit of work to change the fuel pump so you should make sure it is bad before just changing it. I personally think it is a disservice to the next owner to just throw the cheapest part in it. Before the car sells, you might be changing it again. Many stories about cheaper not being better and the fuel pump is one of them. Good Luck, Pete

#5 jdcraft92

jdcraft92

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:04 PM

Im not 100% sure if it is bad. The shop it was towed to just said it was bad. Also, Im not trying to trick anyone when I sell it either. I would buy plenty off aftermarket parts for other cars because they were cheaper and I feel like most car owners do. The only reason I would buy oem for a Firebird is because I want to keep a Firebird long term.
The car died when I was driving it home. My dad and I spent a couple hours changing the headlight connector piece that had melted and that drained my battery quite a bit. First I added gas, but it didnt seem like it had enough power, so I jumped it and finally got it to start and run for a few seconds. We tried starting it quite a few times which I thought wasnt the best thing to do but I thought it would start and be OK. Then I finally had to get it towed and the shop said the fuel pump was bad.

Ive never used starter fluid before and Im trying to read about it online. Could you explain the best way to use it please?

Edited by jdcraft92, 09 March 2020 - 05:07 PM.

#6 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2979 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

You should hook car to an obd 2 scanner & read codes. Some don't light the ses light. And there are codes that will keep pump from working and / or keep fuel injectors from opening.

Go to the following link and download the 2000 service manual. It will have a complete list of codes. What makes them set, and what pcm does when code sets. Also troubleshooting for each code.http://www.mediafire.../?40mfgeoe4ctti

#7 jdcraft92

jdcraft92

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:54 PM

Thank you, Robert! I would rather use my mechanic nearby that I trust but the car broke down a ways away and the towing distance covered by my insurance didn’t go that far, unfortunately. I know that there are a lot of shops that will try to rip me off and while I’m pretty sure that is what is wrong, I’d like to be sure. The car is at the shop right now, but I can try to read what you sent and I can ask them about it. I have an extra set of keys and could go down there tomorrow, but I don’t have a scanner.

#8 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2979 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:10 AM

Everyone that owns a computer controlled car should also own a scanner. Even if you let shop do all your repair work. An obd 2 scanner that will read codes is pretty inexpensive. Usually in the $40 to $50 price range.

If you go deluxe  and want one that reads abs & SIR codes, as well as doing running sensor scans, then cost goes up into the $100 to $200 price range.

#9 jdcraft92

jdcraft92

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:39 PM

Ok, I will look into that. The coronavirus has hit nearby and everyone is worried right now, so my dad doesn't want to come get me to take me down to try to work on the car. He said to just let the "professionals" deal with it... What you were saying was smart, Robert, and I'm hoping they don't screw me over for more money. I could call the shop and ask about the code and see if they could check for a certain thing if you think it would help? Either way, you can't put a price on your health and safety I suppose. I certainly can understand that the virus isn't good, but I think it may be getting blown out of proportion. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the coronavirus? I know it isn't related to Firebirds at all, but I was just wondering... My college is shut down and more and more businesses are being shutdown around here.

Edit: Well now since of this state of emergency that President Trump declared or whatever, it maybe is more serious than I thought. Many people, including myself at times, have this false sense of security and think that they will somehow know if something bad is going to happen.

Edited by jdcraft92, 13 March 2020 - 01:26 PM.

#10 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2021 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • Year: 1993
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

My son and I both had it last weekend.  Lasted 3 days from onset of symptoms.  Coughed my guts out, had a 103F fever.  That's it.  The FLU is most certainly a more miserable experience on several levels.  From this, we bounced back as quick as we came down with it.

I beleive 100% that this is being blown way out of proportion.  If you're not over 70 or have serious underlying health issues, it's truly not a big deal in any way shape or form.  ...unless of course you buy into the fear and misinformation in the news and on social media, then, well, it's the end of the f*ing world. Go hide in a hole.

Otherwise, go out, live life, get sick, and let your body fight it off and develop the antibodies as it has evolved to do.  It's actually healthy!

Just stay away from grandma and grandpa for a while.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#11 jdcraft92

jdcraft92

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:40 PM

That is exactly what I've been saying to people, Tony. Were you actually diagnosed with the coronavirus for sure, or did you just have the symptoms? I've felt like crap lately and have had some symptoms according to online. But it is hard to tell just going by what you read online. Anyway, people have died yes, but it is such a small percentage, and the people at risk are mostly, if not all, are older people. After my motorcycle wreck in 2014, one of my surgeons a few years ago had told me that I had the body of a 70 year old man. Which I think was a bit exaggerated and I certainly have healed greatly since then, so I don't think that is still the case if it ever was at all. I have some lasting physical/mental conditions/trauma, but I think it is a lot different. I am still always careful though. There is a great deal of panic now. I'm not sure what will happen. People think that we are so advanced as humans due to all of all technology and stuff, but I believe that will change once you remove all that stuff. When people get scared and desperate, I think it won't be long before the start killing each other like savages...

#12 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13598 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:50 PM

It's the mortality rate that is of concern.  With the current, seasonal “flu” (for which there is a vaccine), the death rate is 1 for every 1,630 persons who contract it.  Current corona virus numbers from WHO indicate 1 out of every 30 persons who contract it have died.  In my age bracket, the mortality rate is 1 out of 7 will die.  Hard for me not to take this as a serious problem.  Seems irresponsible to minimize the magnitude of the threat.

And definitely off topic - should not be addressed in a “tech” forum.

#13 jdcraft92

jdcraft92

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:26 PM

I apologize, Fred. My understanding was that it was around 1% of people dying. I understand what you’re saying and I will not continue to talk about it on this forum though.

#14 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2979 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:53 PM

I'm older @ 66 years old & have 3 serious heart conditions. I'm a prime candidate to kick the bucket if I contract corona.  I'm staying home as much as possible. When I do go out, it's early in the morning before the crowds hit the stores. Luckily I have no doctor appointments until the end of April. Doctor office is a prime place to pick up the corona virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users