2001 firebird 3.8 v6 voltage drops under braking - Electrical - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

2001 firebird 3.8 v6 voltage drops under braking

Electrical problems Belt drive Dropping volts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Itbod

Itbod

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Ian
  • City:Austin
  • State or Province:TX
  • Year: 2001
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8 v6
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:20 AM

Howdy, topic title basically explains it. Sometimes when I let off the gas and press the brakes, the volts will drop below 14 amps into the red zone for a few seconds and then kicks back up. This happens more frequently when I have headlights on or heater running and using more electricity. I just bought a new belt, and going to replace the tensioner this week. I'm replacing the tensioner because my belt has slipped off when driving in heavy rain a few times this year. Only other concern worth mentioning is my power steering pump is starting to squeal. Dont think the power steering pulley should cause the belt to slip but who knows. Wanted to self diagnose before just taking to the dealer. I will update when I work on it tomorrow. Thank you for the help!

#2 Itbod

Itbod

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Ian
  • City:Austin
  • State or Province:TX
  • Year: 2001
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8 v6
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:42 AM

Forgot to mention another symptom is when it is cold out and I start in the morning, the car will start first crank but volts will again hang in the red zone then kick up to 14 after a few seconds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Electrical problems, Belt drive, Dropping volts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users