Transmission shifts out of O/D - All Things V6 - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Transmission shifts out of O/D

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mosseybige

Mosseybige

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Ethan
  • City:Aspermont
  • State or Province:TX
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

I have a 99 v6 Firebird with 141k miles auto trans. I was driving down the road today and the transmission kept coming out of overdrive. Here is the kicker tho. If you are just trying to maintain speed 65/70/75 mph O/D comes out, BUT if you give it just enough throttle for the car to gain speed it will shift back into O/D, but as soon as you try to let off throttle enough to maintain current speed, it shifts back out of O/D. I have checked fluid level and it is just fine, with NO leaks... Is the Transmission out/going out?

#2 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:09 PM

Are we talking the transmission shifts out of 4th down to 3rd, or is it the torque converter is falling in and out of lock up?

#3 Mosseybige

Mosseybige

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Ethan
  • City:Aspermont
  • State or Province:TX
  • Year: 1999
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:08 PM

Well that's what I'm curious of. When it was doing that I DID switch it manually from D to 3rd, and you could here the RPMS come up just a little. Sooo I'm not 100% sure. I have little Knowledge on the powertrains on these cars. I did have a 24v Cummins that the PCM had grounding issues and I had to put a Manual switch to for the Torque Converter lockup. Otherwise it would basically do the same thing go in, and out, in, and out.

#4 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13599 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:31 PM

The F-Body 4L60E changed lockup strategy from “switched” to “pulse width modulated” starting in 1995, so its behavior is not going to be comparable to a switched system.

I would recommend you download (free, thanks to GaryDoug) the 1999 factory service manual.  The transmission section has a lot of troubleshooting and diagnostic charts.

https://www.mediafir.../?40mfgeoe4ctti

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users