Lookin' at Wheels - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Lookin' at Wheels

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Lookin' at which Wheels to get (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Just ordered my Wilwood brakes which are powder coated in red. I was going to do some solid centerline type wheels but now kinda wanna show off the brakes. Which wheels do you think look the best?

1. HolePro (4 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. HolePro2 (2 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Klassic (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. R3 (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. Revolver (2 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • First Name:Ed
  • City:Las Vegas
  • State or Province:NV
  • Interests:anything on wheels that goes fast
  • Year: 1976
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firechicken
  • Engine: 350-4
  • Transmission: TH 350

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

Probably going to get wheels from HoleShot.  15x7 up front and 15x10 for the rear with an extra set of 15x11 with bead locks for the track runs. I can custom order backspacing and different finishes for the 3 pieces of the rim.  Going to have go this route because wheel tubs and shortened Ford 9".  Gonna put her together and then measure for wheels.  If anyone has any suggestions or advice.  Feel free to chime in.

HolePro

Holepro_5_lug_rear_480x480.jpg?v=1498147

HolePro2

Holeshot_046_480x480.jpg?v=1498148658

Klassic

Holeshot_040_480x480.jpg?v=1498148805

R3

R3_with_HS-2_beadlock-POLISHED_480x480.J

Revolver

Holeshot_060_480x480.jpg?v=1498147538

Edited by 07 Boss, 14 February 2020 - 02:25 PM.

#2 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2023 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

In my eyes, rotors, calipers, tires, and paint all play a huge role in how wheels look on a car.  The R3 wheels tho look like something that belongs on a rednecks truck. Personally, I'd go for classic Cragar wheels, those ways look good to me.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#3 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

In my eyes, rotors, calipers, tires, and paint all play a huge role in how wheels look on a car.  The R3 wheels tho look like something that belongs on a rednecks truck. Personally, I'd go for classic Cragar wheels, those ways look good to me.

Well in the R3's defense it is pictured with that chrome bead lock on there.  Whichever set I get are going to have a black anodized bead lock on it for the track wheels but not for the street set.

I have Cragar SS wheels on there now and love the look.  Here is the issue.  The front is getting a new front suspension.  Not sure if the wheel will keep the stock orientation due to different spindle and hub set up.  May have to go with a custom offset in setting up the wheels with a good track and scrub radius and maintain clearances.  The rear is a whole other problem.  Actually same problem.  The rear will have mini tubs, a BMR torque arm suspension with relocated coil overs and watts link and a shortened Ford 9" with a slightly different 2.5" axle offset.  So in order to fit a 13" wide tire in there I'm going to have to probably go with a custom wheel offset.  I doubt I'm going to find some off the shelf rims with the perfect offset for my application and no wiggle room to just get something close.

Here is the R3 wheel with a black anodized bead lock in the style i'm going to get.  I think there are 5 different styles of bead locks with multiple options on the finish.

R3_W_HS-3_BEADLOCK_MACH_INSIDE_EDGE_480x

I will need bead locks for the track wheels and want to run the same style rims (without the bead lock of course) for the street.  I've run two different set of front and rear wheels at the track before and hate the look.

Edited by 07 Boss, 15 February 2020 - 02:12 PM.

#4 Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • First Name:Ben
  • City:Sydney
  • State or Province:Other
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 403 Olds
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:54 PM

I dont think anyone will be admiring your brakes through those. Don't get caught up worrying about what you think others might think, build your own car.

#5 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

I dont think anyone will be admiring your brakes through those. Don't get caught up worrying about what you think others might think, build your own car.

I hear ya.  It's probably mainly for me to see them and admire them.  I was originally going to go with some Centerline style drag wheels but after going over budget $1100 on my brakes I sure don't want to hide them.  Lookin for that old school ProStreet vibe so I picked these wheels as my choices.  The first 3 have a retro feel to them in their styling.  The R3's are similar to my RaceStars which I run on my Mustang.  And I don't really remember how the Revolvers made it on the list.  So as all of these wheels were not part of my original vision I'm just trying to feel out peoples opinions.  Honestly I could go with any of them but I'm leaning toward the 2 HolePro designs.

#6 tjs

tjs

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • First Name:tom
  • City:long beach
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:pontiacs,shooting and fishing
  • Year: 1969
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: RA III stroker(455)
  • Transmission: TKO 5 speed

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

2X Crager SS

#7 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:48 PM

I had a set of brushed aluminum Fenton slots on my '71 TA years ago (similar to the Klassic shown above, but aluminum), kinda gave it a road racer look, which went well with the rest of the TA looks, and very 70's period correct for a 1971 car. I had a set of Cragar SS's on a '69 Chevelle SS396 I used to have that looked great for a classic car. They gave that Chevelle that "show car" look, not the "race car" look like the Fenton wheels did. Now days you have the added choices of giant size wheel diameters and very low profile sidewall tires, which with the size of some calipers and rotors you can get these days, you need rims with all that inner diameter room just get around the massive brakes. So now you have to choose a wheel that will clear the brakes, that also you can see though the rims pretty good to show off your bad boy calipers and rotors, and they have to look good on the body style your car is (that is a matter of opinion anyway), along with making sure the wheel tire combo doesn't hit anything on the car when you turn or go over bumps, and provide good overall handling and traction performance as well. With all the different choices out there, there is sure to be something that is a perfect match for your car - when you see it, you will know.

#8 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:52 AM

I had a set of brushed aluminum Fenton slots on my '71 TA years ago (similar to the Klassic shown above, but aluminum), kinda gave it a road racer look, which went well with the rest of the TA looks, and very 70's period correct for a 1971 car. I had a set of Cragar SS's on a '69 Chevelle SS396 I used to have that looked great for a classic car. They gave that Chevelle that "show car" look, not the "race car" look like the Fenton wheels did. Now days you have the added choices of giant size wheel diameters and very low profile sidewall tires, which with the size of some calipers and rotors you can get these days, you need rims with all that inner diameter room just get around the massive brakes. So now you have to choose a wheel that will clear the brakes, that also you can see though the rims pretty good to show off your bad boy calipers and rotors, and they have to look good on the body style your car is (that is a matter of opinion anyway), along with making sure the wheel tire combo doesn't hit anything on the car when you turn or go over bumps, and provide good overall handling and traction performance as well. With all the different choices out there, there is sure to be something that is a perfect match for your car - when you see it, you will know.

Well I didn't go big brake (gonna have a parachute to help me stop), 11"rotors front and rear so I could fit 15's without any issue.  They will fit most 14's.  This company allows you to do custom backspacing on all their wheels.  They build them to your spec.  No low profiles are going on this car, we're going with as much sidewall as possible.  Hoping to get a 28"x13" or 29"x13" rear tires on a 15"x11" rim for the track.  Will probably run a a 10" wide rim on the street.  We're not planning on taking many turns at speed, it's all about straight line traction.

2X Crager SS

Should I have included these?  I suppose these are the closest to that cragar ss or 5 spoke look.

Sunflare_SS_480x480.jpg?v=1498151421

#9 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13600 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

With 15" wheels, you aren't going to see much of the braking components, no matter which design you pick.  For your street wheels, it's going to take a 5-spoke 17" design to show the brakes off.  I run 15" Weld Pro Stars, and you can't even see much of the skimpy stock 4th Gen brakes.

Attached File  IMG_0636.JPG   163.63KB   0 downloads

Are you sure you need the bead lock design?  Are you planning on running 7's?

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#10 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:57 PM

With 15" wheels, you aren't going to see much of the braking components, no matter which design you pick.  For your street wheels, it's going to take a 5-spoke 17" design to show the brakes off.  I run 15" Weld Pro Stars, and you can't even see much of the skimpy stock 4th Gen brakes.

attachicon.gifIMG_0636.JPG

Are you sure you need the bead lock design?  Are you planning on running 7's?

Yeah, you're not going to see much but at least you will be able to see them.  Spent $3K on brakes so I'm going to at least want to see them.  

Well I spin the rims on my Hoosiers at 12.5 PSI with 600 hp and no 2-step.  I will be doing nitrous launches with 800-850 hp and a trans brake with quite a bit less air pressure.  I got a feeling their gonna spin on the rims a bit.

#11 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13600 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

The 8 rim screws in my Welds have worked well w/ 800 HP / 800 lb-ft.  We've used the screws on a 1,350 HP 3,600 # 4th Gen running low 8’s, close to 168 MPH, and pulling 1.2X 60’s.  Might have used 12 screws on that one.  Never had a tire spin.

#12 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

The 8 rim screws in my Welds have worked well w/ 800 HP / 800 lb-ft.  We've used the screws on a 1,350 HP 3,600 # 4th Gen running low 8’s, close to 168 MPH, and pulling 1.2X 60’s.  Might have used 12 screws on that one.  Never had a tire spin.

I’ve used screws before with great success. These are all offered with the bead lock as an option and it would only be on the track dedicated rears. Call it lazy if you want, just easier to order them.

#13 Eastbound and Down

Eastbound and Down

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • First Name:Jason
  • City:Tuscumbia
  • State or Province:AL
  • Interests:Music, Cruising, Motorsports,
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Firebird Esprit
  • Engine: Olds 455

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:10 AM

The Klassic my man...

Edited by Eastbound and Down, 26 March 2020 - 11:11 AM.

#14 73Birdman

73Birdman

Not a Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1069 posts
  • First Name:Arquis
  • City:Chicago
  • State or Province:IL
  • Interests:fast cars, shooting pool , sports, loving the White Sox, Hating the Cubs, and fast cars
  • Year: 1973
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 400

Posted 01 May 2020 - 06:58 AM

If you made the financial commitment to purchase the red calipers, i say show them off.  I have SSBC's all around on my 73 and i paid a little extra for the red calipers.  Whenever people see my car, the red calipers always come up.  People love them!  and they really work !!!!  as far as your wheel choice.  I say go with a 5 spoke style wheel to show off calipers.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users