Standard vs. Deluxe Interior Trim? - First Generation Pontiac Firebird (1967 - 1969) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Standard vs. Deluxe Interior Trim?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JesusFreak

JesusFreak

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • First Name:Lee
  • City:Allentown
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1969
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: 400

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:35 AM

Guys, you all will be sick of me and my question in short order, but I'm at your mercy. ;-)

I want to order the body trim and weatherstrip kit for my car. There are different kits for the "standard" and the "deluxe" interior? What is the difference in the trim parts? The car has a standard interior, but if I'm replacing parts, maybe it's worth using "deluxe" bits? Am I safe ordering the "deluxe" kit, or is this just more hassle than its worth? Keep in mind, that I want to customize the interior to look a bit more "modern" vs. classic.

Thanks,
Lee

#2 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13861 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

When I bought my 68 brand new, we opted for the deluxe interior (white knitted vinyl) package. It included bright metal moldings for the wheel arches, and I think that was also how you got the bright metal inserts in the 6 fake louvers in each of the rear fenders.

Here's the 69 brochure:

http://paintref.com/...=&page=5&scan=5

Order the custom trim, and those buckets will be done up in knit-vinyl upholstery that breathes. (So you won't lose your cool.) The package also includes bright roof rail side interior moldings, wood-grain vinyl instrument panel trim, molded trunk mat, integral front armrests, padded interior door panels, assist grip and assorted interior and exterior trim.

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#3 tYk

tYk

Firebird Tune up Technician

• Supporting Member
  • 328 posts
  • First Name:Eric
  • City:Belton
  • State or Province:MO
  • Interests:Cars, golf, beer

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

Where are you ordering from? Can you paste a link or part number because I'm confused by the question? What does the weatherstrip and body trim have to do with the interior type on a 69? ( I know that's what you're asking too!)

#4 JesusFreak

JesusFreak

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

Where are you ordering from? Can you paste a link or part number because I'm confused by the question? What does the weatherstrip and body trim have to do with the interior type on a 69? ( I know that's what you're asking too!)

Classic Industries:

This is the "Deluxe" kit:
http://www.classicin...rts/*r5116.html

This is the "Standard" kit:
http://www.classicin...rts/*r5111.html

These are the kits with "OEM" style felts.

#5 tYk

tYk

• Supporting Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, I remember puzzling over this too, and I don't remember which we ordered, we haven't installed it all yet. I'll look it up next time I'm out at my Dad's place. I don't see what difference deluxe vs standard interior would have on the weatherstripping. Hopefully someone else will know, or Call Classic Industries and ask them.

#6 JesusFreak

JesusFreak

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:04 PM

Yeah, I remember puzzling over this too, and I don't remember which we ordered, we haven't installed it all yet. I'll look it up next time I'm out at my Dad's place. I don't see what difference deluxe vs standard interior would have on the weatherstripping. Hopefully someone else will know, or Call Classic Industries and ask them.

I called them and all they could tell me is that the "felts are different".

#7 fourthirteen

fourthirteen

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • First Name:B
  • City:East
  • State or Province:TN
  • Year: 1967
  • Model: See the above photo
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Manual, 4-speed, Muncie

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'd say it's a reference to the quality of the weatherstrip kit and has nothing to do with the interior trim level. For example, the deluxe felts may have rounded and smoothed ends while the standard felts may have straight cut ends.

#8 JesusFreak

JesusFreak

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:58 AM

They have other sets of kits that are a little less expensive. These two kits are labeled as having "OE" style felts that are "rounded". So that's not the difference from what I can see. The funny thing is the other "non OE" kits, are just one part, and then other vendors only seem to have one part. I'm going to order a standard kit and go from there.

Classics prices seem pretty good, but they are horrible for shipping on body panels.

#9 tYk

tYk

• Supporting Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

Shipping. . .I don't even want to know how much we've paid for shipping! I was looking in the Ames Performance catalog today and they show some different images of the window felts. Really not much difference that I can tell on the 69s, but on the 70's models, there are two different trim levels, one with a bead like the 69s have,and one with a "chrome effect" that is quite a bit different. I'm wondering if Classic Industries is confused on this somehow?

#10 FrankTinCA

FrankTinCA

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • First Name:Frank
  • City:Manteca
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:Family , Cars, and great wine (Red, but that's redundant) !!
  • Year: 1968
  • Engine: 1973 400, #15 heads
  • Transmission: 700r4 Automatic

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:38 PM

Get on CI e-mail list. At least 2x's per month, I get email coupons with 20% off or 15% off and free shipping. Every once in a while its 20% off and free shipping!!! I'll post the coupon codes when I get them. The latest one I have is "KEN14" for 20% off on orders over $199.99, but expires at midnight tonight. I find if I plan ahead, it's never too long of a wait.
Frank T.

Edited by FrankTinCA, 23 November 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#11 ocexpress

ocexpress

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • First Name:Carolyn
  • City:Huntington Beach
  • State or Province:CA
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

I also have this question as my car came with deluxe interior panels that needed to be installed. One issue I ran into is the window roll up stud seems to be too short with these deluxe panels installed. Someone posted there is a 1/4" difference in the two interiors? The standard has a shorter stud on the window crank mechanism. Still researching but also having trouble with the window felts don't fit right so may need to order the standard felts... ugh. 

Still researching... what a project. 

#12 fourthirteen

fourthirteen

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • First Name:B
  • City:East
  • State or Province:TN
  • Year: 1967
  • Model: See the above photo
  • Transmission: Manual, 4-speed, Muncie

Posted A week ago

The standards panels look a little thinner than the deluxe panels. Not sure why the felts would be affected though.
Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users