Working on Custom Exhaust for my 91 Formula - Exhaust Product Reviews - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Working on Custom Exhaust for my 91 Formula

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ProjectBlackBird

ProjectBlackBird

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:Zach
  • City:Midlothian
  • State or Province:VA
  • Interests:I have a strong interest in computers,but I also really enjoy working on my car.
  • Year: 1991
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 5.0L V8
  • Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hey guys and gals. I have recently came into my new (to me) '91 Firebird Formula after I totaled my V6 2000 'bird. My main issue with the car is the exhaust. The previous owner decided to put Edlebrock mid length headers on the car, and then proceed to chop off the flanges and weld all of the piping instead, and any leak there was, there are exhaust clamps to "fix" the leaks. All of the piping is rusty from the headers to the muffler and since I've already started on working to get a custom exhaust done, I can't seem to find a decent Cat Converter to go with the system.

I want to use Flowmaster Direct Bolt on Cats for the true dual system I have in mind, but I already have a ground clearance issue with the stock Cat (which is gutted).

I've started the collection of parts with some Hooker Competition Shortys so that I can have some better ground clearance, but I'm unsure of using a direct bolt on part that isn't a "high flow" Cat.

So my main issue is this, Should I go with a direct bolt on cat from flowmaster, or get a universal one from them? Do they make any difference?

The whole system is Supposed to be as follows ( I'm going for just plain old 2.5in straight pipes btw, No Y or X or H pipe here)
  • Hooker Shorty Headers (which i'm getting ceramic coated)
  • Flowmaster "High Flow" cats
  • Flowmaster Super 10's
  • some form of rectangular exhaust tip (maybe Pypes or Flowmaster, haven't decided yet
I want the back of my car to look relatively like this with the end result, I know it's an 80's model...but they all share the same body, except for the front clip. (attachment provided)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users