Help with 4L60e Valve Body replacement in Charlotte area! - North Carolina - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo

Help with 4L60e Valve Body replacement in Charlotte area!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ah4567

ah4567

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • First Name:Ali
  • City:Charlotte
  • State or Province:NC
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8 V6
  • Transmission: 4L60e

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum, and sadly it is about a problem. I just bought my first firebird v6 auto. 2002. And after only 4 days of driving Lo and behold the P1870 trans slip code appears. I have ordered a new valve body, and all the necessary parts for a swap. (The Valve body is usually the culprit for the p1870). The procedure seems simple enough, but i am still very scared lol to tackle this. If there is any good samaritan on here that has experience with these trannies, please let me know. I obviously can't afford the mechanics so we can work together with a pizza and beer?

#2 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1465 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

You are on the right track by ordering a new valve body. Most of the time this is caused by a worn out TCC regulator valve bore in the valve body. Getting a whole rebuilt valve body will fix this issue. I recommend that while you have the transmission pan off and and the fluid mess cleaned up to change your valve body, that you install a Transgo 4L60E-HD2-C reprogramming kit. It has a replacement boost valve to make sure your transmission pump delivers good pressure to the apply pistons that will keep your clutches from slipping and burning out. Just follow the directions and watch a few you-tube videos about 4L60E valve body replacement to get familiar with the stuff you have to do. It is not black magic, it it just like working on any other part of your car. As long as you make it your business to pay attention to the details, everything will work out fine.

#3 ah4567

ah4567

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

Thankyou for the reply. Yea I feel confident about doing the job now after a few youtube videos. But It was my understanding that that transgo/sonnax kit was only needed on pre 2000 models. Supposedly GM fixed that faulty TCC bore on later valve bodies, fixing the pressure issue. The later valve body still has issues that cause the 1870 but not the famous TCC valve one. I could be wrong.

#4 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1465 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

After some checking on the internet, I also ran across information saying GM fixed the TCC Isolator/Regulator valve that causes the infamous 1870 slipping code in 2000. There are still other components in the shift kit like the boost valve and I think some accumulator springs as well as instructions on where to drill the separator plate. I hate to pull the pan because it always makes such a mess no matter how careful I am. So while I have thepan removed, why not do some extra stuff to make the apply pistons hold better. It seems like it is stuff in the lower part of the transmission that goes bad and causes line pressure loss, and then stuff in the top half where the clutch packs live go bad and you have to pull the whole transmission out then.

#5 ah4567

ah4567

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

That is a good point. I really need to take my car on a trip so I am only replacing what I have at this point, a whole new well rebuilt valve body. I'll take a look at the accumulators and the separator plate to see how they are holding up to give me an idea of when I WILL have to take the pan off again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users