Firebird vs. Camaro Monsoon Systems - Automotive Audio Product Reviews - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Firebird vs. Camaro Monsoon Systems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 1993TransAm

1993TransAm

DELCO NERD

• Administrator
  • 1797 posts
  • First Name:Simon
  • City:Central Ohio Region
  • State or Province:OH
  • Interests:Firebirds, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, apparently Chevrolets too, E-bodies, W-bodies, professional automotive repair, automotive electronics and audio, body work, upholstery, detailing, weightlifting, NASCAR, baseball, football, heavy metal, big 80s hair/sweet mullets, and first and foremost my wife, family, friends, and the Almighty God.
  • Year: 1993
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1 OHV V8
  • Transmission: 4L60

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

In the very recent past, I've had Monsoon amplifiers from both a Camaro and a Firebird installed in my car. I've never read any side-by-side comparisons written by anyone with respect to differences, if any, in sound imaging or quality between the two systems. After listening to both systems, I noticed some differences and I'll share them here.

First off, I won't go over the wiring difference between the Camaro and the Firebird in its entirety because that topic has been beaten to death on numerous forums. I'll sum it up in one sentence: the Firebird system amplifies door midrange, subwoofer, and rear midrange speakers only, whereas the Camaro system amplifies all eight speakers in the car.

With the Camaro setup, I noticed right away that the door midrange speakers have more bass than the Firebird, where they have more of a true midrange bandpass. Also, the Camaro front tweeters are louder than those in the Firebird. Keep in mind that those are amplified in the Camaro.

The Camaro hatch speakers are extended range (full range), reproducing the entire bandpass of the head unit. The Camaros also lack a component tweeter in the hatch, unlike the Firebird. Also, the Firebird's rear hatch speakers are midranges, not producing any bass or treble frequencies.

The Firebirds normally have a dual voice coil subwoofer. The Camaro has a single voice coil subwoofer. Unwilling to purchase/experiment with a costly dual voice coil subwoofer, I had to be creative with how I wired the second bass channel in my car. Therefore, I will be unable to truly compare the sound difference between the two, but I assume that the Firebird system produces louder bass frequencies. (I relocated two of the four subwoofer channels to the 4" speakers in the hatch, converting them from midranges to woofers, and then I added a 3.5" midrange speaker to where the tweeter is normally located in the hatch panel. I bi-wired a pair of Clarion SRQ1732R 6.5" 2-way speakers in the sail panels, relocating the hatch tweeters to the sail panels. The Clarions are a massive improvement over the Pioneer G-Series speakers I had in the sail panels with regard to bass clarity and power handling.)

1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE

1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL
1988 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1990 Chevrolet Beretta Indy

1992 Chevrolet Corvette

2017 Honda Civic EX-T Coupe

"NERDS?  I MAKE NERDS JEALOUS.  NERDS THINK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT I DO."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users