Hooker Header Reviews? - Exhaust Product Reviews - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Hooker Header Reviews?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xxinlinexx

xxinlinexx

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • First Name:Jeff
  • City:Miami
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1977
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: Auto 4 speed

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

Anyone ever used these or know someone who has?

....Headers....
Posted Image

#2 Hartz

Hartz

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Davison
  • State or Province:MI
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: TransAm
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: 4-speed

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

Looks pretty much like the set I just put on my 79 TA 400. The installation was pretty straight foreword - of course I had just reinstalled the engine so none of the linkages, etc were hooked up yet. If the headers have a slot for the numbers 5 and 6 cylinders, be sure to install the header bolt part way and then slip the flange over the bolt when you install the header. Good luck tightening up the bolt after that! You may also have to bend the oil dip stick tube down a little bit for clearance. The biggest problem I'm having is finding an oil filter that will fit through the tubes - the PF24 filter has too large a diameter. I'm going to try a Bosch 3423 or an AC PF61. If they don't fit, it's going to be a remote mount filter.

#3 xxinlinexx

xxinlinexx

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • First Name:Jeff
  • City:Miami
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1977
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Transmission: Auto 4 speed

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:52 AM

Looks pretty much like the set I just put on my 79 TA 400. The installation was pretty straight foreword - of course I had just reinstalled the engine so none of the linkages, etc were hooked up yet. If the headers have a slot for the numbers 5 and 6 cylinders, be sure to install the header bolt part way and then slip the flange over the bolt when you install the header. Good luck tightening up the bolt after that! You may also have to bend the oil dip stick tube down a little bit for clearance. The biggest problem I'm having is finding an oil filter that will fit through the tubes - the PF24 filter has too large a diameter. I'm going to try a Bosch 3423 or an AC PF61. If they don't fit, it's going to be a remote mount filter.

I just purchased them so we'll see how the install goes, i'll post up any issues.

Have you figured out that Oil filter issue?
Posted Image

#4 Hartz

Hartz

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Davison
  • State or Province:MI
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: TransAm
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: 4-speed

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

I just purchased them so we'll see how the install goes, i'll post up any issues.

Have you figured out that Oil filter issue?

#5 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • First Name:Ron
  • City:North Haven
  • State or Province:CT
  • Interests:I enjoy working on my cars and fixing whatever needs to be fixed. If I could stay in my garage 7 days a week, I would be very happy!
  • Year: 1976
  • Model: Firebird Esprit
  • Engine: 5.7 liter
  • Transmission: th700r4

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

I had them on my Pontiac 400 for a few years. Granted this was a while ago, but I bet they have not changed from the ones from 10- 15 years ago. I used a Fram filter, but I do not remember the size. Certain bolts were very hard to get to and I do remember removing motor mount bolts and lifting the motor and trans up a bit so I could sneak the headers in initially. I also did have some problems with them overheating my starter and I had to fabricate a heat shield. Otherwise pretty much the same with most cheaper headers- The paint will burn right off and they like to rust. Otherwise a good cheap alternative to the more expensive brands. I also have a pair on the chevy 350 that is in my car for the time being. I stripped and coated them with VHT's ceramic header coating in flat black and it holds up pretty well. Where as the bolts were hard to get to on the Pontiac, on the Chevy I have spark plug clearance issues and hate Accel shorty header plugs because they burn way to cold and love to foul. Hope this helps.
"Built the way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it- LEAN, MEAN AND GREEN!!!!"
Check out my full restoration post at AGTA. http://allgentransam...hp?topic=2327.0

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • First Name:Dillon
  • City:Bloomington
  • State or Province:IL
  • Year: 1984
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: trans am
  • Transmission: 700r4

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

the new hooker header comps are JUNK lol they dont fit my 400 worth a crap it seems like they must of changed design because everyone with older hookers work fine my new ones sucked horribly. I didnt just get a bad batch i was sent another set saying they would fit perfect and still had the same issues. hope u have better luck

u must remove the oil filter bracket on the pass side and remove the starter on the driver side to install the headers.

on the 3rd bolt back on the pass side from the front let me know if u had clearnce too put in the bolt mine had to go in sideways because the tube is in the way

Edited by 78 TA, 11 October 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#7 Izzy

Izzy

Oil Filter Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • First Name:Ismael
  • City:South Gate
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:None
  • Year: 1967
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 326
  • Transmission: TH-350

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

Yo,

I'm running the Hookers, no problems except the bolt tightning deal...LOL....it's late now, so I'll check the oli filter that I have tomorrow...it's fairly small so it might work for your application, or might be the same as the ones you mentioned and might not work, either way..I'll get back to you guys...Laters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users