My 1976 metalime green Firebird Esprit with white one black interior - Second Gen Showroom - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

My 1976 metalime green Firebird Esprit with white one black interior

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • First Name:Ron
  • City:North Haven
  • State or Province:CT
  • Interests:I enjoy working on my cars and fixing whatever needs to be fixed. If I could stay in my garage 7 days a week, I would be very happy!
  • Year: 1976
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Esprit
  • Engine: 5.7 liter
  • Transmission: th700r4

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

I have been doing a full restoration on this firebird for the last 14 months. It now has a 300hp sbc. a th700r4 conversion and a 4:10 Eaton posi 10bolt 8.5 rearend. I will start with some pictures of interior. All components except the dash were removed from car; cleaned the vinyl with a good leather cleaner; restored the seat tracks; welded two small patch panels in the floor; resealed the floor top and bottom; intalled new carpet underlayment; converted the stock shifter to a four speed shifter by adding a shift works kit; install triple mechanical gauges in the center console using a piece from Fbody warehouse; mounted a older sunpro tach and mounted and wired the swithch for control of the locking convertor in the 700 r4. Here are some pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here are some pictures of the completely rebuilt rear of the car with donor inner rear valance, new tail panel, donor inner and outer rear quarter extensions, donor rear fram rail pieces; 4:10 posi all stripped and repainted; new gas tank; brake components; Eaton leaf springs; Oer mounting hardware and spring bushings; refurbished original stops and snubber; all new brake components with stainless lines over the rearend. Way too much too list
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i1184.photobu...76/P1010061.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...76/P1010064.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...76/P1010037.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...76/P1010041.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...76/P1010028.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...76/p1010026.jpg

the entire floor was stripped, reprimed in red oxide and painted with flat black. All reused and donor components were stripped; primed and painted and cleared

Edited by Greenbird76, 12 June 2011 - 08:57 PM.

• redfish likes this
"Built the way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it- LEAN, MEAN AND GREEN!!!!"
Check out my full restoration post at AGTA. http://allgentransam...hp?topic=2327.0

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy working on my cars and fixing whatever needs to be fixed. If I could stay in my garage 7 days a week, I would be very happy!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

The steering and front suspension were completely removed; control arms and spindles were stripped and sprayed with epoxy; New Trw coil springs; new bumps; new stops; new monroe shocks; new moog tie rod ends; new pitman arm; cleaned and painted original centerlink; Pressed in new ball joints; pressed in new rubber control arm bushings; new wearever rotors with painted centers and vents; rebuilt calipers painted steel blue; new rubber brake hoses; stripped primed painted donor 1 1/8 sway bar from 80 formula and intalled with energy susp. end links and bushings. Stripped most of sub frame; primed and painted satin black;

Before resto
Posted Image

After Resto
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Greenbird76, 14 June 2011 - 07:41 PM.

"Built the way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it- LEAN, MEAN AND GREEN!!!!"
Check out my full restoration post at AGTA. http://allgentransam...hp?topic=2327.0

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 98firebird

98firebird

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts
  • First Name:Garrett
  • City:S Yarmouth
  • State or Province:MA
  • Interests:Driving..
  • Year: 1998
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800 Series II
  • Transmission: 4L60E 4-speed Auto

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

Sweeeet! Looks real clean and modern underneath. Interior looks good too, nice combination. '76 is my favorite 2nd gen, shh, don't tell :)
—Travel the road less traveled...

#4 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

Here are some pictures of car the day of purchase in 04/2010. Car has not been registered since 2002 and odometer reads 85500. Rust was abound underneath, Someone had bodyfilled over the rust years ago and I had to cut out the bad panels and replaced them with rust free donor pieces; half of tail panel was falling about; inner tail valence was non existant; out rim of trunk pan was filled with hidden holes and rear portions of both frame rails were rusted through badly after I removed 20 year old mud. Amazingly north of hte rear wheels including the floor were in surprisingly good overal shape. At first I thought the color was as ugly as sin, but it began to grow on me and not many original cars are left with this color code and interior combo on the vin plate. I should of posted these pictures first, sorry
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The interior only has 1 rip in the drivers seat near the seat belt lever. Thats it. Headliner is orginal and clean. Back seat and passenger seat look like they were never r sat in. I have removed the interior since these pictures were taken and replaced the seatbacks with redyed ones from a 77ta; cleaned up and redyed the rear arm rests; replaced the package tray with REM piece; cleaned up and redyed the door panels. New Sail panels are down the road. The above pictures in this thread show most of the interior work so far. The rug was replaced sometime in the past 10 or so years and looks new
Posted Image

Edited by Greenbird76, 15 June 2011 - 06:15 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

Here are some pictures I just took of hte car. It is running and driving and will be a multi color bird for now. Paint will ba down the road. What do you guys Think? Not bad right?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

I was looking at those pictures and noticed how out of alignment the truck lid was :25signhellnoway: so i fixed it. Looks much better now. I wanted to post a picture but I am having computer issues. I going to do more body work today and cement in that trunk lid seal.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 96TA

96TA

just another car guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1705 posts
  • First Name:Albert
  • City:Port Saint Lucie
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:family, cars, racing
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6 Speed

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

Looks great, both inside and out.. The color is not the most popular color but for painting it will save time and money to keep with the original color. Are you going to put the spoilers on it? Great progress, keep up the good work.
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL
Remember there is always someone who needs the parts you send to the junkyard
Membership is what helps sites like ours succeed, SIGN UP TODAY!!

Membership Details can be found here: https://www.firebirdnation.com/club/

Posted Image
96 TRANS AM - SLP ceramic coated shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, SLP intake going in the bumper under the driverside light, Short throw shifter, Honeycomb tailights, Corvette styled 5 spoke rims with 315/35/17 Sumitomo rears 245/45/17 Fuzion HTI front tires, Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, Accel optispark, Skip-shift eliminator, more to come...

1975 Trans Am SOLD -& MISSED -- THE 75 MOD LIST - C.E. SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT, 3 WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND, ENERGY SUSPENSION FROM FRONT TO BACK, FLOWMASTER SUPPER 44 x2, LONG TUBE HEADERS, JEGS 3" EXHAUST PIPES, RUSSLES BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES FRONT AND BACK, TCI STREET FIGHTER 400 TRANNY WITH 2200 STALL CONVERTER, NEW WIRING, AND MORE TO COME

THE 95 TRANS AM SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#8 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thankyou. I like the color because it was not popular, only came out in 76 and wierdly is becoming popular now. Look at the color on Fords fiesta and focus. Not exact, but very close. I never had a firebird without a spoiler and thinks its cool because it is different. I have several parts car spoilers in good condition. I dont know. I have to see the car with its redone Rally IIs, Lettered meaty tires and factory aluminum trim- then I can make a decision.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

I wanted to share this with you guys. The first bird that I ever drove, well what was left of her, went to the scrap yard today. It was a 1980 Formula that was imported and sold in Canada. I PHS documented the car and was set on restoring it. But it was extremely rotted in the cowl and heater box area as well as the floor. My brother bought the car in 1991 for 1600$ and it was it pretty good shape. Years of sitting outside not running at my parents house took its toll on the car. The back half of the car was actually rust free. i used the inner tail valance, pieces of the trunk pan and the innier and outer rear quarter extensions to restore my 76 and parted her out. Alot of the car is in my attic of my garage. I have some pictures of the car when I was parting it out. The car had the 301 and th350 with a lame non posi rear end. I bought the Ponti 400 for $500 15 years ago off a friend. It was bored 30 over, has pink rods, 6x8 heads which have been mildly worked, and a ramair IV cam. ( I had a chance to get the Ramair IV heads and didnt pursue them because I am a dummy). The motor was in a race car that hit a wall at 100mph. The motor has gobs of torque and will eventually go into my 76. The motor is resting in my garage on an engine stand.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 cwi inspector

cwi inspector

Firebird Master Tech.

• 1337 posts
  • First Name:Bill
  • City:maryville
  • State or Province:IL
  • Year: 1979
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: trans am
  • Engine: 403
  • Transmission: th350 automatic

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Looks like you've done some excellent work on your bird. The pics of the front end rebuild looks very familiar. I completely rebuilt the front end of my 79 TA. Every thing is new. :12EMOTICHEERS:
Posted Image

#11 hdebo

hdebo

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • First Name:Harry
  • City:Branford
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: TransAm
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: 4spd

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

wow that looks great, cant wait to see that car in person
Posted Image

"A CAMARO LOOKS LIKE IT CAN KICK YOUR ASS, A TRANS AM LOOKS LIKE IT'S COMING OVER TO DO IT"
Harry

#12 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

I am working on a the little stuff that is needed in order to get her on the road. Last minute body work, interior work including replacing every body seal on the car including the inner and outer wndow felts. I had a complete window felt kit and some new OER door seals, window seals and a trunk seal that I bought 5 years ago for another project so I decided to give them a try since they all were for 1970-1981 firebirds. The trunk seal fit tight at first but has started to break in nicely after 4 weeks. the window seals needed about 2 weeks with the window up to start breaking in. The door seals on the other hand did not work out and i have to say they are just too hard of a rubber for this application. I had to slam my door so hard I thought I was going to break the glass. The cowl seal I bought from 1a auto is a metro unit and the material is a heck of alot softer and installed with ease. I ordered a pair of metro door seals from 1a auto today. They come with a 10 year guarentee and were $63 with free shipping.I will let you know how they fit.

Edited by Greenbird76, 01 July 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

I finished the cleanup and chrome accent install on the car. I remove any scale one the lower door panel and rocker panel by taking it all down to bare metal and plug welding a few small rust holes. Three coats of primer; base and a single coat of clear for now. I will wet sand it in a few days and apply another coat. I used some fern green I had and it doesnt look too bad for a driver. Full factory metalime green will come in the future. Here are some pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is the drivers side. I was up in the air about the fern green strip, but I am going to do it now the same hieght as the passenger side. The OER rocker moldings overall look good.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The wheel moldings were scavenged from my parts car and are a little weathered but will suffice for now. The passenger side was twisted pretty nicely when the car was hit in the rear but I did a pretty good job straightening it out. You can see it in the first pick.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Here are some outside pictures. The fern green does not look bad.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
this is where I got the passenger side wheel molding from. It straighened out pretty good, right?

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Greenbird76, 03 July 2011 - 12:26 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

Well, I finally got her legally on the road. This is the first time since 2003 that the car has been registered and on the road. Insurance and antique plates. I finished installing the new metro door hulk seals and the refurbished inner door panels as well as new window felts. I left the OER roof rail/ window seals in because they are finally starting to break in after 5 weeks. Those metro seals were $30 less thatn the OER seals I bought 6 years a go and are just such a much better material. Only a couple hours were needed and the seals are beginning to break in well. The best thing is they are warrantied for 15 years and I dont have to whale on the door to close it. I still have to cut out, patch and weld a rusty section of the inner door on the passenger side so i did not glue that seal in. In addition, I am in the process of painting( fern green) and clearing the rear quater panel extensions to cover up that primer. I am going to pinstripe the lines when I an done to give it a cleaner look. I will post pictures when all is done.

I was able to drive the car down the street for about 2 miles and all felt good. The engine had plenty of power and ran smooth; best of all the Summit 2.5 inch exhaust sounds awsome. The one bad thing that occured was the steel belt on the 20 year old rear tire gave out and I had to park it, hitch a ride 3 miles back to my house, locate another wheel and tire, load up my pick up and go and change the tire. All the tires I have are dry rotted and I am just going to have to get the new ones. I am putting 27 inch tall tires on her so I can further tame the 4:10 posi. The th700r4 also helps out alot in that department.

Edited by Greenbird76, 08 July 2011 - 05:45 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

I wanted to add some update pics to my showroom with the new tires and refurbished Rally IIs. I spent a few hours with a dremmel grinding down small nicks and scraps after I had them sandblasted of the old paint. I have 5 rims in total. I got the 5th one on Craigs list in good shape for $20. I also finsihed the passenger side lower door and rear qter extensions with a fern green paint and clear. I do not have the money to repaint the car in the stock hue so right now this looks ok and will protect all my work from rust. I also finished redying the lower plastic portions or the door panel and cleaned up the vinyl and added some new inner handle cups. Tell me what you guys think.
before resto
Posted Image
after resto
Posted Image
Interior was completely removed from car and lower door panels, seat backs, and rear arm rests redyed. Vinyl cleaned with a good leather cleaner.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Except for my cleaning, minimal redying, newer carpet, and new small accents- This interior is a 35 year old survivor. The car has only 85300 miles on the odometer and I believe it! Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The two greens blend in nicely together
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010289.jpg

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Bond80

Bond80

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • First Name:eric
  • City:Sydney
  • State or Province:NS
  • Year: 1980
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Really Great job!...just starting somthing very similar with mine.

#18 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Your car looks really solid. What color is the interior. Are you going to keep the yellow? Im keeping mine that metalime green.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:41 AM

Some new pictures of my ride- The quality is fair because I took them on my cell phone

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Again sorry for the poor quality pics!
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Greenbird76

Greenbird76

2nd gen. Firebird Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

Getting ready for the last cruise of the year with Charter Oak Firebirds tomorrow. I polished her up and cleaned the interior. In addition, I finally put on some mud/ rain gaurds on all 4 wheels and some chrome exhaust tips. Here are some pictures well quite a few. I also polished the chasis and drive line.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010055.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010052.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010051.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010044.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010045.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010043.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010041.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010038.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010036.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010035.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010034.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010032.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010031.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010028.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010029.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010021.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010027.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010023.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010022.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010020.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010100.jpg
http://i1184.photobu...on/P1010098.jpg

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users