Speedo is possessed - Resolved V6 Issues - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo

Speedo is possessed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Damenous

Damenous

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • First Name:Cody
  • City:Kokomo
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1994
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.4
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

I don't know if this is a V6 specific issue or not, or if I am the only one to have this issue but this is whats going on. 0-50 my speedo works just fine. If I go any faster it stalls and goes all haywire. I tried replacing the cluster and it didn't do anything, I next thing I am going to try is the VSS. But after that I don't what I should change should it not work. Also another issue, if I should go 60+ My transmission feels like it wants to go into neutral or hold in third gear making my RPMs 3K or more. If I go to accelerate more than a lil nudge it does drop to neutral. Please tell me this is not an expensive tranny fix...Thank for the help.

#2 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13960 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

The VSS reads a reluctor gear on the tranny tailshaft. Sounds like there may be some sort of excessive movement in the tailshaft at higher speeds, causing erratic readings by the VSS.
  • FBN Firebird Nation likes this

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#3 Damenous

Damenous

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

So how much about do you think it would run to get that fixed, cause I can only do a little more than basic repair...don't really want to touch the transmission.

#4 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13960 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hard to say what it would cost. Its not a common problem. Pulling the tailshaft housing off the tranny would be required, and someone that knows a lot about auto transmissions would have to evaluate the condition of the reluctor gear on the output sahft, and check for excessive play in the output shaft - both end play, and side-to-side movement.

Have you checked to see if the VSS is setting a trouble code in the PCM?

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#5 Damenous

Damenous

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Well I just got the VSS installed and that was the problem. I guess that it was not sealed right and the transmission fluid eroded the connector causing it not to work. So yeah this is resolved...Thanks for all the support.
  • FBN Firebird Nation likes this

#6 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts
  • First Name:Clark
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Transmission
  • Model: Engine
  • Engine: Engine
  • Transmission: car

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the update Cody, and am glad to hear you got it fixed. :12EMOTICHEERS:

#7 Damenous

Damenous

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

oh yeah so am I, and I guess the replacing the sensor also fixed the transmission issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users