4L60 problem - Resolved Drivetrain Issues - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo

4L60 problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 81frbd

81frbd

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • First Name:Rick
  • City:Detroit, MI
  • State or Province:MI
  • Year: 1981
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: Auto turbo 350

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hey guys, last night I was driving my 99 Yukon, I backed out of my buddies driveway to let someone out in front of me and then BAM! I lost all gears when I shifted into drive. I was able to pull into the driveway by shifting into 4wd. When I looked under the truck, I've got no driveshaft movement and no gears in 2wd but I've got gears in 4wd. Thinking it's maybe the snap ring on the output shaft but not sure. Hoping it's not the output shaft itself.

Anyone ever tear into these with that monster transfer case? Tranny's are not my strong point.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 79/6.6

79/6.6

Larry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • First Name:larry
  • City:Bristol,Tn
  • State or Province:TN
  • Interests:classic cars, Auburn Football, Good music, cool evenings, and sometimes....just sometimes, Johnny Walker Red.
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 6.6 olds 403
  • Transmission: Turbohydromatic 400

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

I would check the spider gear. Also you may have a bad rearend. In 4wd your front drive wheel is pulling, so you can move.
Posted Image

#3 xRacerXx

xRacerXx

Amateur "movie" director

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • First Name:No
  • City:Somewhere
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, fishing, Nascar, sim racing, anything that involves the smell of race fuel and burning rubber!
  • Engine: Olds 455
  • Transmission: Auto 200-4R 4 Speed

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

I would check the spider gear. Also you may have a bad rearend. In 4wd your front drive wheel is pulling, so you can move.

that would be my thought. If it moves in 4wd than transmission is working. Guess it could be transfer case. I don't really know how any of that works on a very technical level. There are some chains inside the transfer case, I've seen them apart. You positive the rear drive shaft does not turn at all? Does it act like it's stuck or like there's no resistance? If it's the rear end the drive shaft should turn unless the rear end is actually locked up. But you would have been dragging the rear tires back into the driveway in 4wd.
1979 Trans Am Anniversary Edition
Olds 455 Big Block
200-4R 4 Speed
Mondello Long Tube Ceramic Headers
Purple Hornies Glass Packs at headers
2 1/4 exhaust straight back
ET Slot Mags
Edelbrock Performer Intake
Aluminum 3 core radiator
Dual electric fans
Transmission cooler with fan
Stainless Steel Hoses
850 CFM Quadrajet, all manual, no choke

#4 81frbd

81frbd

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:30 PM

that would be my thought. If it moves in 4wd than transmission is working. Guess it could be transfer case. I don't really know how any of that works on a very technical level. There are some chains inside the transfer case, I've seen them apart. You positive the rear drive shaft does not turn at all? Does it act like it's stuck or like there's no resistance? If it's the rear end the drive shaft should turn unless the rear end is actually locked up. But you would have been dragging the rear tires back into the driveway in 4wd.

I don't think it's the rear end. No noise and my buddies driveway is about 100' long and the truck moved freely in 4wd. While in 2wd, the speedo ramps up to 60 mph like a tach and when I put it in park, I heard it grinding like a manual trans not in gear all the way. That's what makes me think output shaft. Either snap ring broke or shaft snapped off. Just curious if I gotta drop the whole trans case or can I get to it from the tail shaft.

Man I hate trans work and I give you Trans Techs alot of credit for knowing your stuff. That's why I'm asking you guys before I start messing with it.

Edited by 81frbd, 30 November 2009 - 05:20 PM.

• FBN Firebird Nation likes this

#5 FirebirdNoob

FirebirdNoob

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • First Name:Chris
  • City:Gladewater
  • State or Province:TX
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 403
  • Transmission: th350

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

I would definetly look at the transfer case myself. As it was pointed out, if the transmission was fried it wouldnt move at all, the rear end then it would drag the tires. But since you gotta drop the drive shafts to get to the transfer case anyways, when you drop the rear shaft just give the tires a spin while its jacked up make sure they spin free. Transfer cases are real easy to dig into and repair. So it shouldnt be to hard to figure out what's wrong.

#6 Klickmania

Klickmania

Thought about being apathetic but decided why bother?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • First Name:Spencer
  • City:Cowpens
  • State or Province:SC
  • Interests:Love anything involving muscle cars, rat rods, hot rods, street rods, Kustoms, pinstriping, low-brow art, movies and music.
  • Engine: 501 Pontiac Stroker
  • Transmission: Built T-56?

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

If the rear end went bad, the driveshaft would still move in 2wd. Has to be something internal. I would be willing to bet that you are right about your output shaft. It's either broken, or something regarding the output shaft is busted. That would allow the transfer case to work while in 4wd, and have every gear. Also, it wouldn't be the gears or chain in the transfer case since it's not used at all in 2wd and it worked flawlessly in 4wd. Could be the slip yoke/output shaft coming out of the transfer case. :beer:

- Spencer
  • FBN Firebird Nation likes this
Posted Image

- 1979 Pontiac Trans Am -

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Adams

"The less you know, the more dangerous you are." - Bill Flemming

#7 81frbd

81frbd

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for all your help guys.....it was in fact the "C" clip on the output shaft on the transfer case. $8.00 part and 15 minutes later, I'm back on the road. Sucks that such a little thing can ruin your day. Posted Image

#8 FirebirdNoob

FirebirdNoob

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • First Name:Chris
  • City:Gladewater
  • State or Province:TX
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 403
  • Transmission: th350

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:04 AM

Quick and easy repairs are the best one's!

#9 Klickmania

Klickmania

Thought about being apathetic but decided why bother?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • First Name:Spencer
  • City:Cowpens
  • State or Province:SC
  • Interests:Love anything involving muscle cars, rat rods, hot rods, street rods, Kustoms, pinstriping, low-brow art, movies and music.
  • Engine: 501 Pontiac Stroker
  • Transmission: Built T-56?

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

Glad you got it fixed! :lmao22: Moving this topic to resolved issues.

- Spencer
Posted Image

- 1979 Pontiac Trans Am -

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Adams

"The less you know, the more dangerous you are." - Bill Flemming

#10 Turtle816ddw

Turtle816ddw

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • First Name:Dustin
  • City:Kansas city
  • State or Province:MO
  • Interests:Cars
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: Trans am
  • Engine: 5.7
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:25 AM

Well I have a Trans am non four wheel drive I wish it was lol did a very small tire spin went into drive and nada no gears neutral seems all the way park works back up lights come on in reverse Idk can anyone toss ideas???

#11 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14077 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:45 AM

Noticed your new thread in the "Drivetrain" forum. No need for this post. The original poster has not been active on the site for more than six months.

http://www.firebirdn...ng-a-tire-burn/

Let's keep the responses all in one place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users