4th Gen Firebird/Camaro Haynes And Chilton Manuals - Book Reviews - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

4th Gen Firebird/Camaro Haynes And Chilton Manuals

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts
  • First Name:Clark
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Transmission
  • Model: Engine
  • Engine: Engine
  • Transmission: car

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:18 PM

I have both of these books. When I am asked which one I like better, I say both. Seriously, you will need both. They both could be a lot better, but they are better than nothing.

I felt that both left out a lot of preliminary steps on repairs, but the Chilton seemed to do this more often. The Haynes manuals index is worthless. For example I couldn't find throttle body in the Haynes manual index There were a lot more, but this is the one that sticks in my mind the most. In addition, they could have more photos! I find that sometimes I am trying to figure out what part they are talking about because they lack needed photos I know there must be better books for this generation firebird and camaro, but I haven't found it yet! I have done this many times using these books

Firebird Tune up Technician

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:10 AM

I bought a Haynes manual for my 3.4 to change the valve cover gaskets. It wasnt worth the money at least not for a v6. They try to cover too many engines in the same book. Since it covers from 93 to 00 they have to cover 4 differnt engines. The book was telling me to do things that were impossable because they were mostly covering the V8 which was never metioned as LT1 or LS1. I give this book 2 out of 5 stars.

#3 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:05 AM

I agree, these two manuals are almost useless.

#4 Guest_Jon_*

Guest_Jon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:07 AM

I have both of these books. When I am asked which one I like better, I say both. Seriously, you will need both. They both could be a lot better, but they are better than nothing.

I felt that both left out a lot of preliminary steps on repairs, but the Chilton seemed to do this more often. The Haynes manuals index is worthless. For example I couldn't find throttle body in the Haynes manual index  There were a lot more, but this is the one that sticks in my mind the most. In addition, they could have more photos! I find that sometimes I am trying to figure out what part they are talking about because they lack needed photos  I know there must be better books for this generation firebird and camaro, but I haven't found it yet! I have done this  many times using these books

I have both for every car I own..... :thumbup:

#5 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

Its good to have them both if you are going to get them.

#6 Robert

Robert

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • City:Eglin AFB FL
  • Interests:My 89 formula, and my jeep. I love to 4wheel. I go shooting, collect guns, SCUBA dive, and of course spend all the time I can with my son.
  • Year: 1989
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 305 TBI
  • Transmission: 700R4

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:31 PM

I'll admit I have both of them and use them a lot. I've got them for all of my vehicles except the explorer. As I said before, I dont do ANYTHING to that thing yet. Although...the warranty is up when I get home.....
Posted Image
Black 89 Formula
305 TBI
Flowmaster American Thunder 3 inch Catback Exhaust
"My job is not to give my life for my country, but the make the other SOB give his life for his country"Posted Image

Firebird Oil Changer

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:17 PM

yeah i need a good one but one that mostly for the v6 maros and birds..that would be sweeeeet

#8 RamAirThree

RamAirThree

Autobody and Restoration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13490 posts
  • First Name:Lou
  • City:Queens
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:American Muscle Cars, Motorcycles (preferably Harleys), Good music, great friends, my woman and family and that includes the pets....... Is there really anything else in this world worth living for?
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: FORMULA 400 RAIII
  • Engine: 400 Ram Air III
  • Transmission: Muncie CR 4/3:90 12 bolt

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

I felt that both left out a lot of preliminary steps on repairs, but the Chilton seemed to do this more often. The Haynes manuals index is worthless. For example I couldn't find throttle body in the Haynes manual index  There were a lot more, but this is the one that sticks in my mind the most. In addition, they could have more photos! I find that sometimes I am trying to figure out what part they are talking about because they lack needed photos  I know there must be better books for this generation firebird and camaro, but I haven't found it yet! I have done this  many times using these books

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use professional books "Motor" is the name, they are excellent, but I also use alldata on the computer. That is awesome if you are lazy. :thumbup:
Posted Image
1 of 32 "Drag Packs" made, 1 of a handful left in the world!
1970 Formula 400 RAIII / Muncie close ratio 4-speed / 3:90 Limited Slip 12 bolt Rearend.
All original and matching number car.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

How much is the "Motor" book? Also, how much for the "AllData" one as well?

Firebird Mechanic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:53 AM

yeah you definitely need the chilton + haynes to get anything done... the steps are so ambiguous. They tell you to remove things, but you dont know what it is you are removing.....

They are good for specs, and to get a general idea of things you have to do if you are researching a project, and thats about it.

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

Invest in a service manual. They are expensive , but worth it. the Alldata is awesome. I used that alot in school.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

I have the complete manual on disk :thumbup: for 98 and up I believe...I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

#13 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:04 PM

Where did you score that?

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4079 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

Cant you buy a service manual directly from the manufacturer dealer?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:49 AM

I'll try to look into getting copies, I bought mine from a member of our car club...

Let me look into the feasibility of having him make more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users