Hesitates, Bogs down, wont start - Resolved V6 Issues - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo

Hesitates, Bogs down, wont start

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Firebird Newbie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

Well heres my problem, i have a 96 firebird, 3.8 series 2 slp cold air intake and flowmaster exhaust, manual trans, i've had the whole 100k maintanence thing done, fuel filter, coil packs, plugs, wires, EVERYTHING, now my problem is thins (i'm pretty sure their all related) right after i top off my tank my car starts up like a champ, starts the first time every time, however the lower i get on fuel, the more times it takes to crank it up, also (this happens no matter how much gas i have) when i'm just cruisin' along at under 2k rpms it feels like someone is lightly massaging my gas pedal, like its chugging and about 50% of the time when i get on the gas hard , no matter downshift of keepin' it in gear the car will just not respond, at all. like i hit a governer (no matter what speed i'm at either) just NO response like i took my foot off the gas, and i THINK it happens more often while i'm turning or right after i'm done turning. please help me out, i'd really hate to have to remember my 92 lebaron as a more reliable daily driver than my firebird!!!!!

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4079 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

I would test the fuel pressure regulator, and the pump.
Just kinda sounds like the engine is being starved for fuel to me.

Firebird Newbie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:31 PM

the pump sounds fine to me, i learned all about fuel pumps with my lebaron, now whats this fuel pressure regulator doo hickey, also i forgot to mention before that when i take of my gas cap i dont get the cool whoosh sound.....

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4079 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

Just because a pump runs doesnt mean that it is building good pressure.

The fuel pressure regulator is typically attached to an end of the fuel rail where your fuel injectors are fed from. It is connected to the intake vacuum, and when you engine is idling it has high vacuum which reduces the fuel pressure to the injectors, when you open the throttle the vacuum decreases and the regulator will allow more fuel pressure to the injectors. If the regulator is stuck then you may not have enough pressure, however even if the regulator is working fine if the pump is worn out then the regulator doesnt know and leans it out even more.

I suggest that you unplug the vacuum line from the regulator and cap the line off and then see if the car still bogs down.

Honestly though Im not so sure the regulator would cause the problems to the extreme that you are describing. I am still thinking about the pump.

Edited by hgffrank, 26 August 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#5 garneaux

garneaux

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1077 posts
  • First Name:Seth
  • City:Richland
  • State or Province:WA
  • Interests:Building my cars, Being with my family. Hanging with my friends.
  • Year: 1969
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

Replace your fuel filter its cheap easy and should be done any how.

Seth

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4079 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

Replace your fuel filter its cheap easy and should be done any how.
Seth

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you read the post?

The fuel filter was already replaced.

Firebird Tune up Technician

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

I would test the fuel pressure regulator, and the pump.
Just kinda sounds like the engine is being starved for fuel to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:14dunno: Kinda sounds like the pump, which is sort of bad news.

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4079 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

:14dunno: Kinda sounds like the pump, which is sort of bad news.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really bro, yeah replacing the pump sucks, but if you do like someone did on my car, and just buy an inline fuel pump, the task is oh so easy. Just leave the one in the tank and install the inline pump under the floor pan on drivers side, easily reachable and yet tucked out of harms way. I have put 50,000 miles on my car since I bought it and the pump is working fine to this day.

Firebird Newbie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

well i went to advanced auto parts and had my car scanned and NOTHING came up at all, no history or nuttin, and i gotz no warning lights on my car either, she thinks its the fuel pump too, my gas gauge (just noticed) gets more and more sensitive the lower i am on fuel, like just normal stop and go will make the needle go to and fro (look i rhymed) nothing major just SUPER sesnsitive, i bought a new gas cap, a last ditch effort at a cheap fix, i'm hopin' someone will give me a simple solution and by simple i mean cheap, but until then it looks like i'm gunna have to be gettin' me a new fuel pump in the near future.....mastercard must love me....

#10 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts
  • First Name:Clark
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Transmission
  • Model: Engine
  • Engine: Engine
  • Transmission: car

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

This may sound stupid, but are you sure your not out of gas?

Firebird Newbie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

no i'm good on gas, i've only used about 5 gallons from a full tank, and i'm using regular unleaded, dont matter which gas station i go to, same results.

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4079 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

I would put in a inline fuel pump and avoid having to drop the tank. If you are doing it yourself, you will find that its way easier, and the inline fuel pumps dont cost a lot. Exact price I dont know but I have looked before and they werent too bad. And if you are gonna have the work done at a shop you will pay way less by just having the inline pump installed as apposed to them having to drop the rear axle and tank.

Or if you do it yourself there is always the trap door method of cutting a door out of the floor pan and replacing the pump then re-attaching the plate that was cut out.

#13 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

I would put in a inline fuel pump and avoid having to drop the tank. If you are doing it yourself, you will find that its way easier, and the inline fuel pumps dont cost a lot. Exact price I dont know but I have looked before and they werent too bad. And if you are gonna have the work done at a shop you will pay way less by just having the inline pump installed as apposed to them having to drop the rear axle and tank.

Or if you do it yourself there is always the trap door method of cutting a door out of the floor pan and replacing the pump then re-attaching the plate that was cut out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if you can do that on a 4th gen Frank, have you ever heard of someone doing that on a 4th Gen?

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4079 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

I dont know Bob, but I dont think there is much difference between the fuel systems of the 3rd and 4th gen except most of the 4th gens have EVAP testing capability, so that would be the only difference I can think of. As long as the fuel pump was the right pressure then I dont see why it wouldnt work. I know on my car it doesnt have the EVAP testing capability but the system still works just liek it was designed, so I dont forsee any problems.

#15 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

I dont know Bob, but I dont think there is much difference between the fuel systems of the 3rd and 4th gen except most of the 4th gens have EVAP testing capability, so that would be the only difference I can think of. As long as the fuel pump was the right pressure then I dont see why it wouldnt work. I know on my car it doesnt have the EVAP testing capability but the system still works just liek it was designed, so I dont forsee any problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have always wondered if it would work, it sure would be nice it if would on a 4th gen. I remember discussing this in the past and someone saying it wouldn't work for some reason. I will have to see if I can dig up the post. I don't think there was a definite answer though.

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4079 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

The 3rd and 4th gen fuel systems were basically identical, and my car has been fitted with an inline pump, so I really dont see why it wouldnt work on 4th gens. Yeah find that topic and let us know, I am curious now.

#17 JoeCool

JoeCool

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5298 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:New Hill
  • State or Province:NC
  • Year: 2007
  • Make: Ford
  • Model: Explorer Sport Trac
  • Engine: 4.0 L SOHC V6
  • Transmission: 5R55E 5 speed automatic

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

I will agree it may be the pump. Or could be one or more bad injectors.
had a: 1997 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA but sold it...
my cars on CarDomain
My cars on FQuick.com
my MySpace page
Posted Image
Buy American... the job you save may be YOUR OWN!

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
George Carlin

#18 Navybrat

Navybrat

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • First Name:Steven
  • City:San Diego
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:I have owned 2 Firebirds,
    First was a 1989 with a 2.8 60 paired with a 4L60
    Second is a 1991 3.1 paired with a 4L60
    Plans for the 91 in works
  • Year: 1991
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.1 V6
  • Transmission: 4L60

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:26 PM

i did not read all the posts but
check rail presure pump flow and ring out the injectors i know on the 3.1 in my 91 they have to read over 10ohms across the pins any less then 10 they are bad more is fine i hade 3 go bad on me and it acted just like yours is fire run and die or it would fire die fire die and it drove me nutz just rule it out will all the tests before you go putting somthing in that is not needed (if one is bad over enough time it will kill others and posibly the brain)
Stock front to back(not for long) plans in the works.. Full time Student ITT-Tech C.E.E.T.. Proud father of a baby girl..

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:57 AM

Fuel pump :B): :rockon22:

Firebird Master Tech.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:00 AM

It is your fuel pump. :B): :rockon22: