Firebird Nation: 97 Trans Am cooling fan problem - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

97 Trans Am cooling fan problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   hazeleyes0220 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Amy
  • Year: 1997
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7
  • Transmission: Manual-6

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hello everyone. I have a 97 TA, the fans will not come on unless the AC or heat is on. It is making the car run hotter than it normally does, at times going between the half way mark-210 and the next line before in the red. I have checked the fuses and the relays and that didnt change anything, also changed the tstat...still no luck. Anyone else had this problem? Also curious, the manual says there are 3 fans on the car, which ones would be working that come on with the heat and AC?

#2 User is offline   rusnrno 

• Old and Slow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Russ
  • City:Reno, Nevada
  • State or Province:NV
  • Interests:*Edit- Free, single and loving it! My two grown children and my Grandson and Granddaughter. My Firebird, Snow skiing, MMA fighting, woodworking, home and auto electronics, camping, rafting, work, and sleep.
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: M6

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

You only have two fans on your car. One is the high speed fan and the other is low speed.
The low speed fan isn't programmed to come on until somewhere around 220 degrees.
Posted Image
RIP Jay
I miss you already Bro'.
RIP-Brother Rat
1996 Formula
LT1, M6,Eaton Posi, Moser Axles, 4.10 Gears
CC305 Cam, Crane 10308-1 Valve Springs, Crane 11746 NSA 1.6 Full Roller Rockers, Trik Flow pushrods, LT4 timing set, Accel injectors, OBD1 conversion, CATS tuning software,
ARP head bolts and rocker studs,
no AC, no AIR, PCM tuned by ME, Pacesetter LT headers, no cats, SLP fan switch, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI LCA Relocation Brackets, UMI Tunnel mount Torque Arm, Edelbrock Strut tower bar, Billet valve covers, Drop Zone 1.8" lowering springs, LT4 Knock module, MSD6AL Ignition, Taylor Wires, B&M Shifter, Hypertech 160 T-stat, Power Slot brake rotors, Ram Air hood(functional), TA front bumper, Home-built "Stealth" sub enclosures, Torque Thrust II wheels with 275/40/17s, Toyo Proxes Drag Radials

#3 User is offline   Sexy_ws6 

• Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Evan
  • City:Saskatoon
  • State or Province:SK
  • Model: Trans am ws6
  • Engine: 5.7 L
  • Transmission: 6 Speed Manual

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

:ditto: Which means it gets really hot under the hood when it's at normal operating temp.
Posted ImagePosted Image
"I don't care if you had a hang nail and you stubbed your toe that morning, what you ran at the track is what you ran, no excuses!!!!"

#4 User is offline   jas 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:John
  • City:Pittsburgh
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:Cars and motorcycles of any kind, Our 3 boys, a cold beer or 8 and how can I leave my lovely wife off this list
  • Year: 2001
  • Engine: LS1
  • Transmission: M 6

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Off topic but once again both Evan & Russ caught my eye with the white birds. I almost bought a white 99 but went for the black 01. Nice cars guys. sharp/clean looking.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Sexy_ws6 

• Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Evan
  • City:Saskatoon
  • State or Province:SK
  • Model: Trans am ws6
  • Engine: 5.7 L
  • Transmission: 6 Speed Manual

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

Thanks. Russ has more done to his and mine is still bone stock. :ditto: lol ( i hope we could help some Amy)
Posted ImagePosted Image
"I don't care if you had a hang nail and you stubbed your toe that morning, what you ran at the track is what you ran, no excuses!!!!"

#6 User is offline   jas 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:John
  • City:Pittsburgh
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:Cars and motorcycles of any kind, Our 3 boys, a cold beer or 8 and how can I leave my lovely wife off this list
  • Year: 2001
  • Engine: LS1
  • Transmission: M 6

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

I love bone stock my Camaro is other than shifter and exhaust. Cant say the same for my TA.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   hazeleyes0220 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:37 AM

Maybe I didnt word it right....the temp will go over 220...closer to the last white line before in the red and the fan still wont come on, so closer to the 235 mark. Another question...on the fuse box there are 3 relays for fans, think it was spot D F H. Thats where I came up with the 3 fans. So, any ideas what it could be?

#8 User is offline   wisdom 

• Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Account Disabled
  • First Name:Joe
  • Year: 1999
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: V8
  • Transmission: probably automatic

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

Bad sensor. I could tell a long tale of woe, but suffice it to say that the car has a number of sensors and if one that triggers a fan fails, you could experience thousands of dollars in damage.

#9 User is offline   hazeleyes0220 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

I just changed the temp sensor and it is still doing the same thing. The secondary fan kicks in at about 235 and cools it down to around 215. But shouldnt the primary fan kick in before that?

#10 User is offline   Chynna_Doll 

• Pontiac Firebird Tire Changer
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Chynna Brie
  • City:Midland
  • State or Province:TX
  • Interests:Football,BBQ's,cars,reading,shopping,fbodys, getting my car fixed right!
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.4L V6
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

I have the same problem! But mine only gets super hot when it idels. My fan comes on when it want to come on, it'll let it right about to 260 and I have to either turn on the ac or shut the car off. if I leave the ac on to long and then shit it off,when I need to use it again the fan WONT come back on. Ugh! Cars been like this for a while though, thinkin I need a new fan or something?

Attached File(s)

#11 User is offline   wisdom 

• Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Account Disabled
  • First Name:Joe
  • Year: 1999
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: V8
  • Transmission: probably automatic

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

This reply might show that I don't personally touch anything under the hood, but have you tried physically switching the fans?

#12 User is offline   msak 

• Pontiac Firebird Tire Changer
  • PipPip
  • First Name:michael
  • City:Central Washington
  • State or Province:WA
  • Interests:Star Trek, BattleStar Galactica, SCIFI, The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, Tennis, I like to read, and draw. I also try to make some time for my guitar.
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: Trans am
  • Transmission: M6

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

This sounds like the same problem that I have had with my 95 Trans Am. It would only over heat when idling, the fan wouldn't kick on until it was nearly in the red zone on the temp and that is bad. I was tinkering around under the hood and unplugged a sensor that ran to the Air intake between the throttle body and the box, it was rear facing, and had a blue plastic housing (I was removing the air box and had to unplug it). When I unplugged the sensor the fans kicked on when they are supposed to and I haven't had it over heat since.

It's bad that I've left it unplugged, but I don't have the time or money to get it looked it, but maybe you should try that as a quick/temporary fix.

Edited for: stupid spelling...

This post has been edited by msak: 03 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

#13 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

Have you tried to supply power directly to the fan to see if it will kick on? I know I have posted the troubleshooting chart for this issue, so you might want to check the tech article index to see if I listed it. If not, let me know and I will find it.

#14 User is offline   julidavillan 

• Pip
  • First Name:Julio
  • City:San Jose
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:cars, music
  • Model: Formula
  • Transmission: Manual 6-speed

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

I have the same problem with my 97 formula. A few differences. My fan does NOT kick on when I turn on the AC. they both turn on when I use a jumper at each relay respectively (low speed and high speed). So what I'm thinking is the fans work, there is power at the relay but the relay is not getting triggered. I figure bad temp sensor and I bought one. Have not put it in yet but I will do it this afternoon after work. I also am thinking that they should kick on with the AC regardless of the temp sensor working or not right? I also have 3 fan relays. Could the 3rd be the one that kicks them on with the AC?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users