Firebird Nation: Transmission Problems, help! - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.

1982 - 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transmission Problems, help! Trasmission not shifting right Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   soldaustin 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Rex
  • Year: 1985
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans am
  • Engine: 305 4 brl
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

My '85 T/A has the 305 4 brl and the 4 speed overdrive transmission. It has always worked so smoothly. The only problem I had was it was leaking and I took it to a transmssion shop to get it re-sealed. They didn't do it right and it leaked worse than before and they told me to come back in 2 weeks to have it checked the last time I took it in. Well I waited 3 as I don't drive the car much. Well I got there and they were closed by the IRS so I lost 375.00 and my car leaks worse than when i started! Not pouring but leaking on the drive, annoying. Ok, that is a little history. I have 119,800 miles on the car and am the original owner and have really taken care of it and spent a lot of money going through the car and replacing things as needed the past year or so. Runs great and smooth. I drove it 2 weeks ago for the first time in months and went about 60 miles round trip. It did fine overall. One glitch but I think we figured that out. Well I drove it Sunday and it ran fine but I noticed it seemed to shift hard into 2nd then was fine. Well I drove it about probably 25 miles or so and was fine. Today I drove it and it shifted hard into 2nd but did fine otherwise. It has sat since 3:00 today. At 9:00 tonight I left to go to a home a couple of miles from me. It wouldn't change into 2nd gear. I thought, crap maybe it is low on fluid. I turned around just one street down and came back. I checked the fluid and it was right at the arrow and mark that says add 16 oz. Are you supposed to add to the bend in the stick? I bought more and added about half a bottle and it is just below that. I drove it and it wound out and changed into 2nd hard, then 3rd normal. I can't get it to go into overdrive though. I drove it around a few minutes ago. It kept changing hard into 2nd and smooth into 3rd so I thought it might be ok. It just winds too far though before going into 2nd. I don't think it could have been low enough on fluid to have caused damage. I think the idiots who took it apart 2 times for the reseal did something to it. I do know I told them after I got it back it seemed to shift good but I now remember I told them it changed hard into 2nd. They said they woudl check it out when I brought it back but of course, I am screwed there. Any ideas? I know they must have done something to it. Maybe a vacuum line? Maybe something minor? I sure hope so as I have sunk too much into this lately and was just getting ready to spend on the new interior and carpet which will have to wait possibly forever if I have to put in a transmission. Thanks in advance for any advice.
My rides

1985 Trans Am I bought new
1985 Transa am 2 seater convertible
2004 Nissan Armada
2006 Mercedes 230 Sport

What can I say? I love cars!

#2 User is offline   BlkBird408 

• 3rd Gen Owner!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Lowell
  • City:Kansas City
  • State or Province:KS
  • Interests:Anything with cars
    Working out
    Target shooting
    Family and friends!
  • Year: 1989
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 408
  • Transmission: 700r4

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:55 AM

Rex I would suggest checking your TV cable adjustment as the TV cable controls your shift points. If you need a instruction on how to adjust it let me know.
1989 Firebird--408 engine, Stage 4 700r4 tranny, Strange Engineering 12 bolt rearend,
GTA crosslace wheels, BFGoodrich drag radials, Spohn lca`s and relocation brackets, subframe connectors
adjustable TQ arm, wonderbar, adjustable panhard rod, driveshaft loop, extreme duty driveshaft
KYB shocks/struts, Eibach sportline lowering springs, 97 Firebird seats, 85 trans am steering wheel
B&M Ratchet megashifter, Autometer tach and gauges and a few other goodies!!

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   soldaustin 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Rex
  • Year: 1985
  • Model: Trans am
  • Engine: 305 4 brl

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

Well I added some fluid and it changed ok yesterday morning except still hard on 2nd. It wasn't the cable for sure. It wasn't that much low either. I took it to another transmission shop by my house, a chain Cottmans . They checked it and of course said it was internal. Since it is 20 years old and has 119,000 miles on it, I wasn't surprised that much. They charged me 355.00 to pull it and tear it down just to tell me what was wrong. It had a broken spring or something that made 2nd shift hard. Also on the pistons, the retainer or whatever on one was broken. He said all in all though it was worn but ok. The bands were worn and they said it is just time. I thought ok, I buy that and I saw it torn down. So not so bad until they told me the price to rebuild...1,495! I thought that was too much since I have dumped so much into this car already lately. I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on the interior. That has to wait. I told them no way was I going to spend that. They said I could go with the premium service that was the same except they don't replace my valve body. Everything else is replaced as needed as far as hard parts. The warranty is 1 year instead of 2 for 1,195. That is still too high! I know people pay that, not me. It did include the 355.00 initial fee. Well I ended up negotiating with them and got the premium job minus the new valve body as mine checked out good and they were going to clean everything and make sure before it went back together that it was ok. They replace the Torque converter also. So after some haggling with their GM, I felt like I was played by a used car salesman. I ended up getting it for 818.00 including tax for a 90 day warranty but they said it is the same exact job just minus the longer warranty. I figure I will see any problems in that time hopefully and it saved a lot of money. I don't drive this thing much though. I think I might have put on 3,000 in the last 10 years as it was sitting up mostly. Now I will drive it more for sure. Thanks for the tips. I thought maybe the cable could be the ticket also until it shifted into gear ok as far as timing goes, the next morning when it was cold. Just hard shifting. I think for a rebuild that might not be so bad but it was a shock of a bill to come out of no where.
My rides

1985 Trans Am I bought new
1985 Transa am 2 seater convertible
2004 Nissan Armada
2006 Mercedes 230 Sport

What can I say? I love cars!

#4 User is offline   BlkBird408 

• 3rd Gen Owner!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:Lowell
  • City:Kansas City
  • State or Province:KS
  • Interests:Anything with cars
    Working out
    Target shooting
    Family and friends!
  • Year: 1989
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 408
  • Transmission: 700r4

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

Glad you got it fixed but yeah thats the only bad part about fixing up cars or anything for that matter something unexpected always derails your plans temporarily. But thats why we love it so much and just keep on doing it!! http://www.firebirdn...tyle_emoticons/default/woot22.gif
1989 Firebird--408 engine, Stage 4 700r4 tranny, Strange Engineering 12 bolt rearend,
GTA crosslace wheels, BFGoodrich drag radials, Spohn lca`s and relocation brackets, subframe connectors
adjustable TQ arm, wonderbar, adjustable panhard rod, driveshaft loop, extreme duty driveshaft
KYB shocks/struts, Eibach sportline lowering springs, 97 Firebird seats, 85 trans am steering wheel
B&M Ratchet megashifter, Autometer tach and gauges and a few other goodies!!

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Karr Kraft 

• Gearhead
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:Nicole
  • City:Florida
  • Year: 1988
  • Model: GTA Trans Am
  • Engine: 350 TPI
  • Transmission: 700R4

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

19Stroked89, on Aug 9 2006, 07:07 PM, said:

Glad you got it fixed but yeah thats the only bad part about fixing up cars or anything for that matter something unexpected always derails your plans temporarily.  But thats why we love it so much and just keep on doing it!!  http://www.firebirdn...tyle_emoticons/default/woot22.gif
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:waitasec: :rockon22: I have had to adjust my throttle valve cable on my 84/89 Birds, due to it shifting hard in all of the gears.
1982 Trans Am-350/700-R4(K.A.R.R.)
2002 CETA Daytona Parade Lap Car
1986 T/A Autoform Customs vert
1983 T/A KR replica
1979 Chevy Camaro 350/TH350
2008 Mustang GT 4.6 5 speed( soon to be KR replica)
1997 Ford F150 4x4 "Beast" Team Knight Rider replica
1998 Expedition " Dante"Team Knight Rider replica

#6 User is offline   fireduck350 

• Master Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • City:Rock Hill
  • State or Province:SC
  • Interests:Cars
    Dogs
    Army
  • Year: 1990
  • Model: Firebird Formula 350
  • Engine: L98 350
  • Transmission: auto 700R4

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

If you go into the tech articles area and look for the 4L60E rebuild, there are links on I think the last one of posts, of where to buy transmission parts online. A 700R4 and a 4L60E are the same transmission except for the valve body. Why they would change the valve body on a 700R4 is beyond me anyway. Just to let you know, for the type of rebuild that a transmission shop like that will give you, if you decided to but the parts yourself, you would have maybe $300 in parts. That would give you a full rebuild kit with new clutches and steels and new seals and gaskets. Plus a Corvette servo and new 1-2 and 3-4 accumulator pistons. Anyway, not sure where you are at, but if you have a transmission problem again, PM me and if you aren't too far, I'll try to help you out. You might say that I've built a few of these.
I will say that since you got them under $1000 you're doing pretty good for taking it to a transmission shop.
Posted Image
1990 Formula 350 w/SLP T-Ram
1978 TA w/Olds 455
1987 IROC
1970 Monte Carlo
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   GTZ&IROC-Z 

• Pontiac Firebird Tire Changer
  • PipPip
  • First Name:Gregg
  • City:Brampton
  • State or Province:ON
  • Year: 1988
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.0 TBI

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

very ggod price indeed and come to thimk of it ive noticed my tranny hard shifting lately too, im gonna look into adjusting this tv cable you guys are talkin about

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users