Firebird Nation: Spark Plugs are a PITA on the 3.8 - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spark Plugs are a PITA on the 3.8 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   farawaystare 

• Farawaystare
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Justin
  • City:Barstow
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:I'm interested in spending time with my wife and kids, working on cars, and the internet. I enjoy teaching my children how to be responsible adults and how to work on cars so that they will be able to save in the long run.
  • Year: 1996
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800 Series II
  • Transmission: Manual 5 sp

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:21 AM

So, the other day I thought I'd go ahead and start teacher my 13 year old daughter how to change the spark plugs on my 1996 Firebird. Well, my bird has the Pace Setter headers on it, needless to say I go to change the 1st plug on the passenger side and realized that there was no room for the rachet. That was problem number 1, so while I was messing with that issue using the socket and a wrench to get the old on out, I had my daught go ahead and gap the plugs. I figured that once I got it loose I'd go ahead and let her do the rest of getting that plug out...haha! That wasn't gonna work at all. I didn't have room to get the damn socket out! Needless to say I ended up having to change the plan and sent my daughter on her way being that this was obviously not gonna be a job for a novice, even though typically it would be. So, I ended up loosing up the header to try to get this socket out with no avail. Well, I took me a good while to realize hey dummy why don't you push the socket all the way back in and just hand tighten the plug back down. So, that is what I did. After all that fun..haha!...I decided that this is gonna be a PITA to do the rest of them and decided it would be a good idea to remove the rubber piece in the socket to make life a bit more pleasant to get the job done. Well after that first plug and the leason learned everything else went fairly smooth. Got the rest of them out, retightened the header which btw got rid of my exhaust leak as well. What fun it was. I really wish it would've been an easy job so that I could teach my daughter how to do this being that she'll be getting the car for her 16th bday. Oh well, she's gonna be doing the rear brakes as soon as the weather gets a little bit better. Just had to vent a little. Hope everyone has a great day!
Justin McCarrell aka "SGT. Mac"

#2 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:21 AM

Ya, and the headers make the job easier too. Plugs are a real PITA on the 4th gens.

#3 User is offline   jn56 

• traitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Account Disabled
  • First Name:Jesse
  • City:Auburn
  • State or Province:MA
  • Year: 1987
  • Model: Formula 350 WS6
  • Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
  • Transmission: 700R4 w/ shift kit

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:36 AM

Yes, a 4th gen Fbody is the last car I would use to teach someone how to change plugs. I hated doing it on my '95. My 87 is 1000x easier!

#4 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:John
  • City:Lafayette
  • State or Province:LA
  • Interests:Just working on cars and taking care of my daughters.
  • Year: 2000
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LS1 Owns You
  • Transmission: Manual T56 6 Speed

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

It depends how many times you do it as well. The first time I did the ls1 it took me 8 hours. But now I can do it in 30 minutes. Just takes practice.
Sold but not forgotten. 443rwhp/411rwtq, 12.11 at 115.57mph, 5% Black Tint all the way around, Black C6 Z06 Deep Dish Corvette Rims, Ventslide Black Taillight Covers, Pacesetter LT Headers with TSP Rumbler Exhaust, SLP Airlid with Holley Powershot Airfilter, SLP Smooth Bellow, Tuned By Ragin Racin, Descreened MAF EGR/AIR Delete, No CATS, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eibach Lowering Springs, SLP Bilstein Struts on the front, Comp Drag Shocks on the rear, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI Adjustable Torque Arm w. Driveshaft Safteyloop, Pro 5.0 Shifter with a Lou's Short Stick, SLP Line Lock, Powerslot Double Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LS7 Clutch with LS2 Flywheel, Mcloed Adjustable Master Cylinder,Taylor 10.4mm Race Wires, LS6 Intake and PP 85mm Throttle Body, Track Rims & Tires(Rear Weld Rims and M/T ET Streets, Front Summitracing Sports and Nexas Skinnies), PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads, ARP Head and Cam Bolts, Torquer V2 Cam, 37lb Fuel Injectors, LS7 Lifters, Harden Pushrods,Yella Terra Roller Rockers, JP LS2 Timing Chain, Ported LS6 Oil Pump, LS6 PCV System. Moser 9 Inch Rearend with 4.11 gears 31 Spline Axles and Detroit Tru-Trac Posi Unit.

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   F-body dude 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:kurt
  • Year: 1998
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:04 AM

After 4 hours and considerable blasphemy my V-6 had new plugs in it. Then I found SLP has a nifty spark plug socket for the forth gens. It's worth the 30 bucks just to save the aggravation.

#6 User is offline   Millions 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Nokesville
  • State or Province:VA
  • Year: 1995
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

I need to change my plugs bad. I dont have the cash to take it to a shop. Do you go at it from the top or bottom?

#7 User is offline   96firebird 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Chris
  • City:Dayton
  • State or Province:OH
  • Year: 2002
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L - LS1
  • Transmission: A4 4L60E

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

I need to change my plugs bad. I dont have the cash to take it to a shop. Do you go at it from the top or bottom?

both top and bottom. the driver's side isn't too bad, it's the passenger side that is a PITA.
96 Firebird - Sold
K & N CAI Borla Catback
95 Trans Am - Sold
Pacesetter LT's ORY TSP Rumbler Moroso CAI Airfoil TB By-Pass TrickFlow Intake Elbow Stock 3.23 1/4 - 13.44 @ 103.70
99 Camaro Z28 - Wrecked (RIP)
SLP LM1 Lid
Stock 2.73 1/4 - 13.5 @ 103.60
02 Trans Am - DD
SLP LM1 Lid 85mm TB TB By-Pass FRA Stock 2.73 309 RWHP / 337 RWTQ 1/4 - 12.82 @ 108mph
Mods with Dyno Tune 325 RWHP / 347 RWTQ

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   F-body dude 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:kurt
  • Year: 1998

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

It helps out immensely if you can get some help to change 'em. One to work the top and the other to work the bottom.

#9 User is offline   rebelboy_23 

• Pip
  • First Name:matt
  • City:catawba
  • State or Province:SC
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

it gets easier to change them the more times u do it. Just dont put cheap plugs in it cause u dont want to have to change them all the time just because you wanted to save money. It is not worth it. I learned the hard way!!!!!

This post has been edited by rebelboy_23: 28 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users