Firebird Nation: Need 02 Sensor Diagram - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need 02 Sensor Diagram Please help Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BrianElkG 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Brian
  • Year: 97
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8 Liter
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

Ok im having a misfire problem when im driving the car it simply misfires! My check engine light came on and its telling me i have a bad o2 Sensor, so im going to need to clean it or replace it! Can someone please send me a diagram on how to replace it! Thanks alot! I dont know much about cars but i want to try and do this!!

#2 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

Welcome to Firebird Nation! Do you remember the exact code? Which 02 sensor is giving you a problem? Also, I would check rockauto.com, they have excellent prices and excellent customer service.

#3 User is offline   Hooznext 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Gene
  • City:Fayetteville N.C.
  • Year: 1988
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: formula
  • Engine: 5.0 tbi (vin E)
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

BrianElkG, on Mar 22 2006, 11:00 PM, said:

Ok im having a misfire problem when im driving the car it simply misfires! My check engine light came on and its telling me i have a bad o2 Sensor, so im going to need to clean it or replace it! Can someone please send me a diagram on how to replace it! Thanks alot! I dont know much about cars but i want to try and do this!!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The code is telling you the circuit the problem is affecting and not actually the problem. A miss fire for example can cause a P0133 code, which is the o2 switching slowly. The o2's job is to read the exhaust and tell the computer through a voltage change, so the computer can adjust the air fuel ratio. A vaccum leak or miss fires along with others conditions can all effect the reading of the o2. Unless the code is refering to the o2's heater I would search for the reason for the misfire first! Also asking for help would be much better if the code was given to us. There is a possible twenty or so o2 codes available, and not knowing which one you have is hard to lead you in the right direction. Hope this helps, Gene.

#4 User is offline   csiamanis 

• 4th Gen Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:Chris
  • City:Belleville
  • State or Province:IL
  • Interests:I like cars, music, and billiards.
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Firebird Formula WS6
  • Engine: LT1: 5.7L 350
  • Transmission: T-56

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:26 AM

Hooznext, on Mar 22 2006, 10:00 PM, said:

The code is telling you the circuit the problem is affecting and not actually the problem. A miss fire for example can cause a P0133 code, which is the o2 switching slowly. The o2's job is to read the exhaust and tell the computer through a voltage change, so the computer can adjust the air fuel ratio. A vaccum leak or miss fires along with others conditions can all effect the reading of the o2. Unless the code is refering to the o2's heater I would search for the reason for the misfire first! Also asking for help would be much better if the code was given to us. There is a possible twenty or so o2 codes available, and not knowing which one you have is hard to lead you in the right direction. Hope this helps, Gene.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:vodka22: There should be one sensor off each exhaust manifold (two and total) that monitor burnt mixtures and a third after the catalytic converter (this one has nothing to do with air/fuel, yet the cat's working efficiency. Is there a missfire code also with the O2 code(s)? The codes you are getting would help out a lot.

This post has been edited by csiamanis: 23 March 2006 - 11:27 AM

#5 User is offline   slim_77803 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:Matt
  • City:Bryan Texas
  • Year: 1997
  • Engine: 3800 Series II
  • Transmission: 4L60E

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

I'm having the exact same problem. Its starting to fustrate me too. I put new headers, replaced sparks, new cat, and valve cover gaskets on and ended up with a left header o2 sensor and cylinder 2 misfire code. I replaced that o2 sensor for a cheap one from a junk yard and the codes went away for about a week. Then a TPS code, the same o2 sensor, and c2 misfire code came up again. I can't really tell a lack of performance or a misfire so i'm stuck with an engine light on til I can get a day to fool with it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• View gallery

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:18 PM

slim_77803, on Mar 23 2006, 12:11 PM, said:

I'm having the exact same problem. Its starting to fustrate me too. I put new headers, replaced sparks, new cat, and valve cover gaskets on and ended up with a left header o2 sensor and cylinder 2 misfire code. I replaced that o2 sensor for a cheap one from a junk yard and the codes went away for about a week. Then a TPS code, the same o2 sensor, and c2 misfire code came up again. I can't really tell a lack of performance or a misfire so i'm stuck with an engine light on til I can get a day to fool with it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you checked for vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, intake duct, etc? Also, did you replace the spark plug wires too? how about the fuel injectors? Can you explain the problem in detail? :vodka22:

Bob

#7 User is offline   slim_77803 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

I fixed an exhaust leak in the EGR and repaired a couple of the cracked vacuum hoses on the intake manifold. I did what the book told me to do and checked the FI with a stethlescope and they didn't have abnormalties in the clicking. I did not replace all the spark plug wires but i did temporarily replace cylinder 2 wire to check that wire. I also checked for corrosion and put that special grease in the boots. My air intake box is a little loose b/c I just put my stock parts back on and couldn't find all the large hose clamps. Very rarely can I tell that it miss fires so I can't tell any real patterns to it. Sorry.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   slim_77803 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

I started my car after it had been sitting in the cold(59 F) rain all mourning(8am-12pm) and the missfire problem came up. I could definetily tell the missfire problem. It was so bad that the service engine light was blinking. I drove it home, should I not drive it at all in this condition.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• View gallery

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

slim_77803, on Mar 28 2006, 10:46 AM, said:

I started my car after it had been sitting in the cold(59 F) rain all mourning(8am-12pm) and the missfire problem came up. I could definetily tell the missfire problem. It was so bad that the service engine light was blinking. I drove it home, should I not drive it at all in this condition.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What code is it throwing?

#10 User is offline   slim_77803 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

It is throwing a driver side header o2 sensor code and a cylinder 2 misfire code. I figured out that there is water dripping down a broken seal onto the top of the intake manifold where my cylinder 2 fuel injector is. There is a pool of water that collects there but I don't know the exact problem. I listened in to the clicking of the fuel injector and there is a slight difference between the others but I don't know what a bad fuel injector sounds like or if it is an electircal problem. What are your thoughts?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• View gallery

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

Have you changed the plugs and wires yet? Checked for vacuum leaks? Changed the 02 sensor with a new sensor and take it from there. Have you replaced the TPS? Did you reset the computer after installing the new 02 sensor?

#12 User is offline   slim_77803 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

I have changed plugs but not wires. I inspected the wires and they "looked" ok. I changed o2 sensors, resest the computer, and it ran fine for a week. Then, if I remember right, all three codes(TPS, o2, c2 misfire) came back after I washed my car(just the outside, not in the hood) and started misfiring bad like it did today. The TPS code goes away when I reset my computer but the other two don't. It is my strong belief that it has to do something with excessive amounts of water. I just don't know what. I'm going to try to get a buddies buddy(a mechanic) to look at it with his nice OBD II scanner and tell me what is really going wrong. If there is anything else I could do to help you to help me, just let me know. I greatly appreciate. There just aren't any work shops in this town that I can trust not to rip me off.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• View gallery

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

slim_77803, on Mar 28 2006, 06:57 PM, said:

I have changed plugs but not wires. I inspected the wires and they "looked" ok. I changed o2 sensors, resest the computer, and it ran fine for a week. Then, if I remember right, all three codes(TPS, o2, c2 misfire) came back after I washed my car(just the outside, not in the hood) and started misfiring bad like it did today. The TPS code goes away when I reset my computer but the other two don't. It is my strong belief that it has to do something with excessive amounts of water. I just don't know what. I'm going to try to get a buddies buddy(a mechanic) to look at it with his nice OBD II scanner and tell me what is really going wrong. If there is anything else I could do to help you to help me, just let me know. I greatly appreciate. There just aren't any work shops in this town that I can trust not to rip me off.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would suggest using the scanner to see if it can tell you anything before spending any money. It makes sense that the car would run fine for a little while after resetting the computer because the computer goes back to a default program and has to relearn and readjust the settings. I would change the TPS if you are getting a TPS code. Can you tell me what codes you were getting so I can look into them more?

#14 User is offline   slim_77803 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:52 PM

I finally went up to autozone and had my codes ran. Here they are P0122, P0420, P1406, P0302. Oh, and by the way, my car is getting worse. It boggs down almost completely when I go to accelerate it past an 1/8th of throttle. It boggs down sparadically in nuetral when I give it gas but not very much. It also has a slight off and on surge in nuetral. I'm guessing TPS mostly so I'm going to replace it but I don't know if that is the root cause of everything. What are your thoughts.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• View gallery

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

slim_77803, on Apr 8 2006, 04:52 PM, said:

I finally went up to autozone and had my codes ran. Here they are P0122, P0420, P1406, P0302. Oh, and by the way, my car is getting worse. It boggs down almost completely when I go to accelerate it past an 1/8th of throttle. It boggs down sparadically in nuetral when I give it gas but not very much. It also has a slight off and on surge in nuetral. I'm guessing TPS mostly so I'm going to replace it but I don't know if that is the root cause of everything. What are your thoughts.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

P0122 - Throttle Position Sensor circuit, low input - Test the throttle position sensor or replace it. Make sure all wires are not defective.

Po420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold, left bank - This could be a faulty 02 sensor or catalytic converter. Does the exhaust have a strange odor, like sulfur?

P1406 - I cannot find it.

P0302 - cylinder number 2 misfire detected. Check the spark plug wire and plug on the number 2 cylinder.

#16 User is offline   slim_77803 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

P1406- Exhaust Gas Recirculation position sensor performance

How do you test the Throttle position sensor itself? I think I know how to test the wire connection but not the sensor.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• View gallery

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

slim_77803, on Apr 8 2006, 08:14 PM, said:

P1406- Exhaust Gas Recirculation position sensor performance

How do you test the Throttle position sensor itself? I think I know how to test the wire connection but not the sensor.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many miles on the engine? I would probably just replace the sensor since it is fairly cheap and easy to do. You can test it with a DVM. I cannot remember the exact procedure, but it is simple and I will look it up for you.

#18 User is offline   slim_77803 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:36 PM

Thanks alot. Good people like you are why I'm so addicted to this website. I always love checking it during work and when I get home. :25help:

P.S. Is a DVM-digital volt meter or something like that? I know what one is I'm just not sure what the intials stand for.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   FBN Firebird Nation 

• View gallery

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:41 PM

Yes, you are correct, DVM, digital volt meter. Do you want me to post the procedure for checking the TPS or are you just going to replace it? Let me know and I will try to find it asap for ya.

Bob

#20 User is offline   slim_77803 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure its bad but just in case I would like to check it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users