FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Flowmaster SS exhaust system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Transam396

Transam396

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • First Name:Dustin
  • City:dustinmr1970@gmail.com
  • State or Province:WI
  • Interests:Musclecars
  • Year: 1980
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Transam
  • Engine: 396
  • Transmission: 700R4

Posted 5 days ago

I have a 1980 Trans Am I just bought a stainless steel exhaust system from Flowmaster for $700 anybody have any tips or videos or any pieces of advice for installation? Looks like a little bit of a task but I always like the challenge thanks for any advice in advance

#2 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: auto-2 jetaway

Posted 4 days ago

I pieced the entire sys under car using jack stands and boxes to make sure how it all fit before actual install.   my flowmaster sys ran right down both sides of tunnel and clearence was close there and in the rear..... made sure everything was clearing and setting straight before assembly

#3 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 3 days ago

Just keep everything as close to the floorpan as possible, but not too close as the exhaust system moves a bit with engine torque. Is that a 396 Chevy I see you have? Do you have headers, if so how low are the collectors, are they '70 SS Camaro headers. Support the rear on the axle so the suspension is in the same position as it is when the car is on the ground so you can make a loop over the rear axle plenty high. Mock the whole system up using wood blocks, paint cans, books, etc. so you can adjust/twist everything for best fit and verify the pipes are coming out the back right where you like them then tack weld everything where it fits best. Take it out for a drive to make sure nothing hits, If all is good, and the pipes look good coming out the back, weld it all up. You may want to use band clamps in one location (I like them better than the old school C style clamps that crush the pipes) if you want to be able to remove the exhaust later on down the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users