Firebird Nation banner

20 amp fuse keeps blowing

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sea dog 
#1 ·
Hey guy's. Need your help in trying to figure out what's blowing my 20 amp fuse that power's my trunk/clock/glove box light. Its the couresty 20amp just below the 30amp breaker left upper corner. 1979 Silver Anniversary 400/4 speed. Any suggestion's would be great. I did start to isolate n disconnect wires one at a time. No luck as of yet.

Thanks

Nels

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
3 things cause fuses to blow. (1) a short circuit in the wiring. (2) Components that are bad and draw too much power or have a short in the component itself. (3) someone has added extra components to the circuit, thus drawing too much power.

Many times when components are bad, they will be OK when cold. But as they heat up, draw more power to the fuse blowing point.

Keep checking the wiring until you hit the circuit responsible for blowing the fuse. Then you can check wiring and components on that circuit out for shorts, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.