Firebird Nation banner

Security light?

658 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sea dog 
#1 ·
What exactly is this light? It pops up on my dash from time to time and wont let me start my car and takes a minute or two to shut off. It started maybe a year or so ago not sure why. Then i got a keyless entry/remote start put in a little over a month ago and it stopped doing it up until a week ago. Does anyone know how to fix this problem so it stops happening. It pops up at really bad times is why i am asking.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
The security lamp is telling you the security anti-theft module cannot read the correct resistance value of your ignition key. Make sure the key is clean at the resistor pellet and that it isn't damaged. But the most likely cause is a contaminated or badly worn set of contacts in the ignition/steering lock cylinder. You must either replace the cylinder or bypass the contacts with a resistor of the same value fixed into the wiring.
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Attachments

#4 ·
Be sure to read the whole vats/security article on shoebox's site. It will give you a good idea of what's going on. The resistor bypass trick works on 95% of security problems. For the other 5%, you can either tune vats out of pcm, or get a 50 hertz vats bypass module. The 50 hertz module sends the 50 hertz signal to pcm so it will enable the fuel injectors.

But in either pcm tune or vats bypass module, you would have to bypass the starter relay so starter would work. THis is easy, however, as you just cut the small yellow wire at starter relay, splice in wire and run to a good ground.

50 hertz vats bypass module available @ www.bakerelectronix.com It's about $40

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.