Firebird Nation banner

89 formula firebird help

816 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  lxfallenxl 
#1 ·
Hello i have a 1989 formula firebird 305 v8 automatic that im having an issue with. I drove to the next town over, on my way back it stalled 7 times, started back up everytime. On the 8th time it completely died. I have power to my lights and everything still just no cranking and starting. Most the time it was stalling was when i started to slow down for a stop it would shut off. Got it pushed home. Had my battery and starter checked, battery was bad, and starter solenoid was bad. changed both and still nothing. The security light dont come on (just when you first turn the key like usual it turns on, but right back off) I have not a clue where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Automotive tire Audio equipment Electrical wiring Cable Auto part
Automotive lighting Hood Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior

Also while i was under the steering column looking through the wires i noticed there was a ground that has been cut. Not sure if it goes to anything important as i didnt find the other side to the wire. Not sure if it has anything to do with it not starting or if someone has wired in some add on and cut the ground when they removed it. any input is appreciated.

Attachments

#3 ·
Your saying that starter still doesn't turn engine over. If that is the case, make sure your battery cables are good. Ground cable from battery is attached to engine and is a good clean ground.

For your car to start there must be this chain of events. you turn ign sw to start, 12 volts goes out of electrical part of ignition switch to starter enable relay points. Relay is made up of 2 parts, (1) the points, which when closed will conduct battery 12 volts to next link in chain, (2) relay coil, which controls points closing. So we have 12 volts at one side of points, and a splice in wire from ign sw also gives relay coil 12 volts.

Other side of relay coil must get a ground to energize coil and close relay points. This ground is given by security module. So when ground is applied to other connection to relay coil, the coil is energized creating a magnetic field that closes relay points. 12 volts now goes to next link in chain.

This is the gear selector switch. This switch prevents starter from operating in any gear except park & neutral. So if gear selector is in P or N , switch closes and 12 volts goes to starter solenoid on purple wire. If everything is good with starter, battery, cables, starter turns over engine.

Any malfunction in any component, connector, wire, or splice in this chain, will prevent starter from working.

#4 ·
I had someone look at it before and said the ground was fine I'll look at it here in a bit and double check, is that all I'm checking is that the ground is good? I'm just confused as I why it would make it stall out that many times when it was running fine, just out of no where? Also I'm not to mechanically inclined yet so bare with me lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.