FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Compression

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jensamin

jensamin

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • City:North Charleston
  • State or Province:SC
  • Year: 1997
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine: 350 CiD
  • Transmission: AT 4l60e

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:04 AM

Hey-
So I was looking at buying a supercharger today (man, im going nuts with this car), and was thinkin to myself "hmm, i bet that changes compression a butt ton".

I know that I've heard in some places before you start adding blowers, you wanna upgrade pistons, rods, and crank. Well, I was thinking about how I know changing combustion chamber volume will affect compression, and the LT4 heads have a 54.4 cc volume, compared to the 54 cc of the LT1. That should adjust compression slightly, right?

So basically, A supercharger would probably be too much for the stock pistons, rods, n crank, RIGHT? I mean throwing 6 psi of boost would be ridiculous combined with the other stuff going on in that motor. I guess I'm really just curious if you think the stock pistons could handle it. I dont know when im going to come up with another 3k for a blower, but if I did I know that before that I'd have to up my suspension and stuff, but could the MOTOR handle it?

Just interested. I'm already in too deep on this LT4, but I want to know how a supercharger would change compression. Also, the supercharger is just a belt driven air pump essentially, right? K, im done :dance:

Thanks. :dance:
jens

1997 Pontiac Trans Am, Holley 52mm TB, K&N CAI, MSD Ignition Coil, TB Bypass, Taylor OVC wires(finally got all 8!!!l),Granatelli MAF, B&M Shiftplus, UMI 3-Point SFC's, 1LE Intake Elbow, Jethot LT Headers w/ Y pipe, Hooker AeroChamber Catback Exhaust, LT4 Hotcam, 1.6:1 Bowtie RR's, LT4 Heads, LT4 Intake, PCMforless Programming, LT4 "Heavy Duty" Timing Set, Ford Racing 30# SVO Injectors, EGR/AIR Delete (I guess I lost the pieces Posted Image )

Coming Soon: Richmond 3.73:1 gears, 100Hp Dry Shot, AFR Hydra Rev Kit, Autometer Triple Gage pod (Cobalt series fuel press, nitrous press, A/F ratio), 2800 RPM stall, Tranny Cooler, Less Clicky Clicky from exhaust.

Posted Image

#2 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan

• Administrator
  • 36,186 posts
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

Here is some info on the topic from powerdyne

#3 Binksman

Binksman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

There are programs out there that can calculate the compression ratio of the .4 cc difference between heads. I'm sure it would have some difference since if you have your heads milled at all you are advised to get slightly thicker head gaskets to compensate.

Most supercharger and turbo kits available off the shelf for any vehicle are low enough psi that a stock engine in good shape will hold up to them. Most of the time, changing the bottom end is only needed if the engine is in poor shape to begin with or if you are going to be throwing 10 psi boost or more into the engine. Once you get into that territory though, you've got some massive power going to the ground, to the point where you need to build up the rest of the car to withstand that kind of power.

And you are correct, a supercharger is basically a belt driven air pump.

I forget what firebird forum I found this through, but it very interesting and is related to the compression topic.

http://somender-sing...tent/view/7/31/

While I have a spare LT1 sitting around the garage, I went ahead and grooved the domes on my aluminum heads. I did not raise my compression as the website suggested, but I think the stock compression ratio and replacement gasket thickness are close enough to what he calls for to see some positive results.

If grooving the domes of your heads do give the suggested results, you would be able to run MORE boost from the supercharger without otherwise modifying the engine. More boost= more air= more power :beer: GRUNT GRUNT GRUNT

#4 WS6RAY

WS6RAY

1st and 2nd Gen Master Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • First Name:Ray
  • City:Hacienda Heights
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:RACING!!!!!
  • Year: 1967/1989
  • Make: Pontiacs
  • Model: Firebird/Formula WS6
  • Engine: 461 Ponty/408 Chevy
  • Transmission: 4 speed/5 speed

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

Try this website.

http://www.turbofast...au/TFcompB.html
Your Ferrari won't run with these Injuns!!!
-----------------------------------------
1989 Formula 305 TBI----15.6@93 mph (March 2005)
soon to be 409 SBC and faster than 15's!!!!!
UPDATE: New 409 SBC 5 speed initial passes w/
2.76 open diff---13.64 @ 105 mph
1967 Firebird 400---------14.3@101 mph (September 2001)
soon to run with 461 and a tranny that won't grenade in a week!!!

#5 jensamin

jensamin

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • City:North Charleston
  • State or Province:SC
  • Year: 1997
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine: 350 CiD
  • Transmission: AT 4l60e

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

Man, that stuff is trippy with the grooved heads... i wonder how much he spends on blunts.

Its an interesting thought...... I just dont know if they guy I'd have port my heads has heard of this.

I assume since its a "spare" LT1, you didnt test this out?

Thanks

1997 Pontiac Trans Am, Holley 52mm TB, K&N CAI, MSD Ignition Coil, TB Bypass, Taylor OVC wires(finally got all 8!!!l),Granatelli MAF, B&M Shiftplus, UMI 3-Point SFC's, 1LE Intake Elbow, Jethot LT Headers w/ Y pipe, Hooker AeroChamber Catback Exhaust, LT4 Hotcam, 1.6:1 Bowtie RR's, LT4 Heads, LT4 Intake, PCMforless Programming, LT4 "Heavy Duty" Timing Set, Ford Racing 30# SVO Injectors, EGR/AIR Delete (I guess I lost the pieces Posted Image )

Coming Soon: Richmond 3.73:1 gears, 100Hp Dry Shot, AFR Hydra Rev Kit, Autometer Triple Gage pod (Cobalt series fuel press, nitrous press, A/F ratio), 2800 RPM stall, Tranny Cooler, Less Clicky Clicky from exhaust.

Posted Image

#6 Binksman

Binksman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:28 PM

Spare LT1 means I am 80% through an engine swap after the LT1 in my 94 Firebird got some bad bearings and leaked 1 qrt of oil a week through the intake gasket. I bought a 94 LT1 police version from Caprice with 1/2 as many miles as on my TA, swapped all the parts I could. I decided to stick with the aluminum heads from the TA after inspection proved them to be in good shape, and at the same time decided to groove the aluminum heads. If they crack or anything else that means I need new heads, I have the iron heads sitting bolted to the old TA engine sitting on a cart in the garage waiting to be used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users