Firebird Nation banner

New member from PA frustrated trying to sell my car

389 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Joshs419 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I've just joined firebird nation because I am unfortunately selling my 98 firebird. I've had it for about 6 years now ar the years have upgraded and replaced various parts thanks to all the great tips and information I've come across on this forum. So right now I am basically trying to get in my 10 posts so I can post in the classifieds sections and if I can pick up any tips along the way that would be an added bonus. I've been trying to sell it on Craigslist but that is turning out to be more frustrating than anything for me, I don't think I've ever come across so many unreliable ignorant people in my life lol so hopefully I come across some good luck in the future because I'm at my wits end with trying to sell my baby right now. But any way my name is Josh, any tips would be greatly appreciated or even some car selling or buying stories from you guys' personal experience.

#2 ·
Sorry you're having such a rough go, Josh, but welcome to FBN. Also sorry you feel compelled to let her go, but supportive that you are looking for someone who can appreciate the car and have at least as much fun with it as you have.

Your post is pretty short on details, like pics of the car, miles, list of mods and what you're hoping to get for it. I can tell you straight off that a '98 V6 in tip-top condition and low miles will be lucky to top more than $3500-4k. It's a part of the market that is saturated with similar cars and and, unless yours is truly unique, appeals to a limited number of potential buyers. You are likely getting responses from people trying to get into their first car or entry-level American performance car. As a result, they are looking to invest the fewest dollars possible. You can look on sites like eBay, under 'Completed Auctions' to see what cars like yours are actually selling fo and which ones simply don't sell.

#3 ·
Yeah unfortunately I have to sell my baby because I need something I can do a lot of driving in because I'm getting a new job that requires driving. I didn't put all the details in because I wasn't sure if that was okay to do outside of the classifieds section but here is the information I posted on the Craigslist advertisement:

171,xxx miles
3.8l 3800 series II V6
T-tops
Motor rebuilt at about 150 000mi
Transmission rebuilt around 120,000mi
3.73 rear gears
Pacesetter headers
Flowmaster American thunder cat-back exhaust system
High flow cat
Zenitti 18 inch wheels
Alpine stereo and speakers

Selling my 98 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L v6 . runs and drives well. It has about 171,xxx miles on it but I had rebuilt the motor at about 150,000 due to a failed intake manifold gasket. While I had the motor out i had replaced just about every gasket and cleaned as much as I could . Transmission was rebuilt at about 120,000 miles. Throughout the time I've had the car I've upgraded and replaced various performance parts and some were installed by the previous owner. It has pacesetter headers, highflow catalytic converter and a Flowmaster American thunder cat back exhaust system. Installed 3.73 gears in the rear differential, Bilstein rear shocks, Edlebrock rear Panhard arm. I had the pcm sent out to be reprogrammed to adjust to the bigger gears in the rear end so the speedometer is correct. It has 18 inch zenitti chrome wheels which came with the car when I bought it, they have a few scratches on them but still look great when they're shined up. It has an alpine stereo with alpine type s front and rear speakers. I also have the stock 16 inch wheels with tires if interested. I may be missing a few things but that's most of the major things done with the car. Just recently had a new fuel pump installed, fuel injector and fuel pressure regulator. It needs to be inspected and will need some work for Inspection and emissions : the left turn signal doesn't return after making a turn so the multifunction switch will need replaced to fix this, it needs front pads and rotors , the egr valve hose had broken so it will need to be replaced and reconnected to the headers, there is an exhaust Leak towards the front of the car that will need repaired and the rear backing plates for the brakes are in rough shape so they need replaced as well. I believe that's all it will need for Inspection, I just had it checked out when I had the fuel pump and injector put in. The car has been around for a few years now so the interior isn't in pristine shape it could use some love, mostly just small things due to wear and tear. The carpet is still in good shape and the cloth seats don't look too bad either, they are just a little worn from getting in and out of the car but no tears or holes. Just about all the rough spots on the inside of the car are small things that can easily and cheaply be replaced, like center console lid, sunvisors, a couple plastic pieces little things like that. The underbody is in fairly good shape there is some rust spots here and there underneath but it's nothing major, what you'd expect for a car from 1998. I am asking $2500 and think that Is pretty fair. it's a fun car and had been great to me over the past few years but it just needs an owner who can put the time and love into it to make it great again. I hate to have to sell it but it is my everyday driver and I need something a little more practical and I can't afford to put the rest of the work into it right now. I listed this car as fair condition due to it being uninspected and the few things it needed be the way it should be.

So yeah its not perfect but with the right buyer a little time and effort it could be great again. I just don't have the funds time or space to do it all myself. I've had plenty of people contact me interested in the car but Noone ever comes through so it's been pretty annoying so far. I think 2500 is pretty reasonable to ask for the car and is about average from what I've seen what do you guys think? I also attached a few pics of the car I have a lot more but they're unfortunately too big to upload with my phone

Attachments

#4 ·
Looks like you've treated it pretty good, and I'd agree that it is a reasonable price you're asking. Have you listed anywhere other than Craigslist? You really need to find a local buyer, since transporting it could easily add another $500+ to the acquisition price. Do any of the car clubs in your area have newsletters or websites where you could post it?

On the other hand, $2500 isn't a whole lot of scratch toward a reliable daily driver. Any chance you could hold onto the 'Bird as a 'weekend car' and still swing a daily driver for your new job assignment? Just a thought, since neither of my 'Birds see daily driving duty.

#5 ·
Back when I was in the market for a car, if I came upon that ad I would be all over it. I think your price is solid and your car seems to have some nice advantages going for it. I would suggest that after detailing it, take as many pictures as craigslist will allow you to put up (24 I think) from angles that bring the best out in the car. Don't get too disappointed from all the idiots that come your way - that is a major chunk of the population. Hang in there and good luck!

#7 ·
Yeah I have always tried my best to keep it clean and do whatever it needed in the way of preventive maintenence or repairs. I do have a lot more pictures on the Craigslist ad that I took after details the car, of the inside and outside but maybe I should take some more. I've sold my last car on Craigslist so I kind of expected to deal with a lot of jagoffs from there but I didn't think it would be this bad lol. Actually I'm not sure about any of the local car clubs, I'm going to have to look into that thank you for the suggestion. I know 2500 isn't really enough to find me a reliable DD, I was planning on using what I receive from selling the car to put down towards my next one. I actually am supposed to be buying my new car today, I ended up taking out a loan and any money I get for the firebird is going straight towards paying that off. My great aunt is selling her 07 yaris sedan, it only has 35k miles on it and I'm getting it for 6700.it is by no means the car I want to be driving but it'll do for time being and is too good of a deal to pass up. I always planned on keeping my firebird and hoped to one day to be able to fix it up like new but unfortunately I don't have the time, space to keep or work on it and the funds to make that happen. So obviously it's been sort of an emotional ordeal for me as well. Hopefully one day when I have everything on track I'll be able to buy myself another firebird because I absolutely loved this car. But thank you all I appreciate the help and support and any other tips you all have go offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.