Firebird Nation: transmission problems! - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

transmission problems! shifting Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pjay 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:peter
  • City:argyle
  • State or Province:TX
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: 3.8l
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

when driving home yesterday on the highway going 70 my rpm was staying at 2,300 to just stay at 70 witch i don't thing that's normal then something blows off the bottom of my car like a ring i just herd it bounce......NOW !! its rpm at 70mph is 2,700-3,000. and if i rev it to try and get it to shift the rpm just flys up and wont shift i think its stuck in 4th gear!

WTF IS GOING ON?!

#2 User is offline   TheFireMan 

• V6 LOUD V6 PROUD
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • First Name:Jason
  • City:El Paso
  • Interests:Pontiac, Chevrolet, Hot Rods, women, punk, rockabilly, hip hop, whiskey, engines, machine mechanics, skating, weight lifting, paintballing, graphic design, interior design, metal work, tattoos, painting, art, sculpting, drag racing, autocross, money, beer, and life in general.
  • Year: 1998
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800 Series II V6
  • Transmission: Auto 4L60E

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

doing 70 at 2300 is normal, thats what i do to get home. Is it stuck in 4th or in overdrive? Our 4th gear is known as overdrive which is normaly what you drive in. Do you mean your car wont shift down from 4th? When in overdrive your car shifts automatically so if its stuck in fourth i would imagine that your car would always be reving really high when you start it? Im not an expert on transmission but thats my guess. Have you tried drving in any of the other gears and shifitng up or start high and shift down?
REDRUM
++++++++++++++++

1998 3.8L V6 FIREBIRD
++++++++++++++++
Rebuilt Engine ~ Pace Setter Headers and Y Pipe ~ 3" Hi-Flo Cat ~ 2.5" Magnaflow Catback ~ 1 Piece Aluminum Drive Shaft ~ 8.5 MSD Wires ~ 1.5" Drop ~ 180* T-Stat ~ 1 INSANE DRIVER
++++++++++++++++

201201 MILES
++++++++++++++++

#3 User is online   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

What rear gears? 4L60E in 4th with 3.42's would yield 2,140RPM at 70 MPH, with 26" tires. Given the typical tach error, you might see a reading of 2,300RPM.

With those same 3.42 gears, if it was stuck in 3rd gear, it would be running 3,074 RPM at 70 MPH. You might want to scan it for codes. First, there are codes for the trans that don't turn on the SES light. Second, there are engine/emissions codes that will prevent the trans from shifting into 4th (O/D).

You need to get under it and see if something "blew off", or if you just happened to hit and kick up some road debris, that damaged something.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

#4 User is offline   pjay 

• Pip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

pjay said:

1364615945[/url]' post='843617']
when driving home yesterday on the highway going 70 my rpm was staying at 2,300 to just stay at 70 witch i don't thing that's normal then something blows off the bottom of my car like a ring i just herd it bounce......NOW !! its rpm at 70mph is 2,700-3,000. and if i rev it to try and get it to shift the rpm just flys up and wont shift i think its stuck in 4th gear!

WTF IS GOING ON?!

I found out it was the p1870 code trans component slipping , will getting the trans go shift kit fix this problem....

#5 User is offline   TheFireMan 

• V6 LOUD V6 PROUD
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • First Name:Jason
  • City:El Paso
  • Interests:Pontiac, Chevrolet, Hot Rods, women, punk, rockabilly, hip hop, whiskey, engines, machine mechanics, skating, weight lifting, paintballing, graphic design, interior design, metal work, tattoos, painting, art, sculpting, drag racing, autocross, money, beer, and life in general.
  • Engine: 3800 Series II V6
  • Transmission: Auto 4L60E

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

THE BELOW INFO WAS PULLED FROM AN OBD @ FORUM FROM obdii.com

link-http://www.obdii.com...TML/003177.html

This GM service bulliten might apply to your vehicle:

TSB # 01-07-30-023A
Harsh 1-2 Upshift, SES, MIL, or CEL Illuminated, DTC P1870 Set (Replace Valve Body)
1996 Buick Roadmaster
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
1996-2000 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1996-2000 Pontiac Firebird
1996-2000 Chevrolet and GMC Light Duty Truck Models
1996-2000 Oldsmobile Bravada
with 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)
Built Prior to January 15, 1999 (Julian Date 9015)
This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-023 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).
Condition
Some customers may comment on a harsh 1-2 upshift and the Check Engine Light or Service Engine Soon indicator is illuminated.
Diagnosis
Typically, these vehicles will have been driven more than 32,000 km (20,000 mi) before this condition occurs.
The scan tool may show a DTC P1870 set as a history code.
A harsh 1-2 shift or DTC P1870, caused by wear in the control valve body, may be difficult to duplicate when the transmission temperature is below 93C (200F).
Cause
The condition may be due to wear in the control valve body. This wear occurs in the bore that contains the TCC isolator and regulator valves, and results in poor, or no, TCC apply.

Important
DTC P1870 is a type B code. The conditions for setting the P1870 DTC must occur on TWO CONSECUTIVE TRIPS (ignition cycles, with a drive cycle) before setting a P1870 history code.
When the conditions for setting DTC P1870 are met (first trip), the PCM commands maximum line pressure and harsh 1-2 shifts are the result.
This may result in a harsh 1-2 shift with no history code if the conditions for setting the DTC required for the second trip are not met, on two consecutive trips (Ignition cycles, with a drive cycle).

When the conditions for setting the DTC are met, on the second consecutive trip, a DTC P1870 is stored as a history code.
When the P1870 code is stored, the PCM will turn on the Service Engine Soon (SES), Check Engine Light (CEL), or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).
Correction
Install a control valve body with the revised TCC regulator and isolator valves. These valves are used in all transmissions produced after January 15, 1999 (Julian Date 9015), and all of the service parts currently available through GMSPO contain revised TCC regulator and isolator valves.

Important
If all of the following conditions are true, it is not necessary to rebuild the transmission or to replace additional transmission components beyond the control valve body.Transmission operation is normal before the transmission reaches operating temperature, or before DTC P1870 is set (no slips, flares, or missing gears).
The torque converter is not blue or overheated.
The transmission fluid is not burned or has no burned odor.
The transmission fluid pan contains no abnormal debris (clutch material, bronze, brass, or metal fragments

REDRUM
++++++++++++++++

1998 3.8L V6 FIREBIRD
++++++++++++++++
Rebuilt Engine ~ Pace Setter Headers and Y Pipe ~ 3" Hi-Flo Cat ~ 2.5" Magnaflow Catback ~ 1 Piece Aluminum Drive Shaft ~ 8.5 MSD Wires ~ 1.5" Drop ~ 180* T-Stat ~ 1 INSANE DRIVER
++++++++++++++++

201201 MILES
++++++++++++++++

#6 User is offline   pjay 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

so replace vale body and thats all? or can putting the trasngo shift kit keep me from having i valve body?,,,,,OR just do both? cause either way i want the shift kit ..

pjay, on 02 April 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

so replace vale body and thats all? or can putting the trasngo shift kit keep me from having valve body?,,,,,OR just do both? cause either way i want the shift kit ..

FROM HAVING TO BUY A NEW VALVE BODY^^

#7 User is offline   V6Hawk 

• Pontiac Firebird Tire Changer
  • PipPip
  • First Name:Chris
  • City:St. Louis
  • State or Province:MO
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: 4L60E Automatic

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

My tranny started shifting really hard after being driven a while a few ago, and had a transgo shift kit installed in it and it works wonderfully now and the shift kit is amazing. Really firms up the shifts. My valve body was going bad as well.
Pacesetter Headers, TSP Rumbler, Highflow Cat, 3.73 Gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac posi, Transgo Shift kit, SLP Airlid, K&N Airfilter, Free Ram Air Mod, BMR Strut Brace, 32mm Front Sway Bar, Firehawk Ram Air Hood, Tuned by PCMFORLESS ;D

#8 User is offline   pjay 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

V6Hawk, on 02 April 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

My tranny started shifting really hard after being driven a while a few ago, and had a transgo shift kit installed in it and it works wonderfully now and the shift kit is amazing. Really firms up the shifts. My valve body was going bad as well.

SO, you got a valve body and kit or just transgo kit and it fixed the problem with the valve body cause i dont want to buy both....ballin on a budget right now lol.http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/twocents.gif

and did you put the kit in your self ? if so do all the spring and seals go in just the valve body area?

#9 User is offline   V6Hawk 

• PipPip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

The kit comes with the valve body, you can find them on ebay! I really do enjoy the shift kit, it just overall improves the transmission.
I didn't do it myself I had a shop do it. When it comes to transmissions I don't mess with that. lol Cost me about 350 at a shop to get it put in, that included the price of the kit.
The valve body is only a problem in our 99 Firebirds.

This post has been edited by V6Hawk: 04 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Pacesetter Headers, TSP Rumbler, Highflow Cat, 3.73 Gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac posi, Transgo Shift kit, SLP Airlid, K&N Airfilter, Free Ram Air Mod, BMR Strut Brace, 32mm Front Sway Bar, Firehawk Ram Air Hood, Tuned by PCMFORLESS ;D

#10 User is offline   pjay 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

V6Hawk, on 04 April 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

The kit comes with the valve body, you can find them on ebay! I really do enjoy the shift kit, it just overall improves the transmission.
I didn't do it myself I had a shop do it. When it comes to transmissions I don't mess with that. lol Cost me about 350 at a shop to get it put in, that included the price of the kit.
The valve body is only a problem in our 99 Firebirds.

I dont think the online transgo kit HD2 dosent come with a valve body just the spacer and gasket un less i just dont see it in the picture

#11 User is offline   V6Hawk 

• PipPip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Im not sure about the HD2 kit, I didn't purchase that one.

#12 User is offline   1 rare firebird formula 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:andrew
  • City:lula
  • State or Province:GA
  • Interests:firebirds cars truck's guitar racing working music
  • Engine: 3.8 3800 series ll
  • Transmission: 5-speed hurst

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

i had these problems with automatics all the time i switched over to straight shift never have to worry about that again until my clutch or throw out bearing or slave cylinder messes up

#13 User is offline   Lou B 

• Pontiac Firebird Mechanic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Lou
  • City:Ocala
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, music, nice people
  • Year: 1993
  • Engine: 5.7

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I don't see how a "valve body" can "go Bad". The only moving parts are a couple of "sliding valves and some "check balls". A Valve might get stuck from dirt or old trans fluid being "gummy", but that can get cleaned out. (sticky check balls or stuck valve will change pressure causing a lot of problems), but replace the entire valve body ?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users