Firebird Nation: 2002 Firebird, 3.8 Stalls, Restarts hours later & Stalls - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2002 Firebird, 3.8 Stalls, Restarts hours later & Stalls Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jake 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Jake
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Convertible
  • Engine: 3.8 L
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002, Firebird, 3.8, auto trans., convertible with 180,000 miles. Over the years, I have performed regular maitenance and replaced the alternator, battery, tires, plugs/wires, battery and altenator, belt, gas cap, etc.. Recently, I replaced the water pump and intake manifold gaskets. I have a small oil pan leak somewhere. Need to replace original shocks as ride is very rough on rough roads lately. Recently, allowed fuel tank level to get very low before refilling. Overdue for fuel filter change.

Yesterday evening (about 50 degrees outside), the car died while driving down the road. It would not restart. No trouble lights. Wait 3 to 6 hours and car will restart and run for up to 3 or 4 minutes and then die. I am trying to determine what to fix and or replace. I have checked fuel pump and ignition relay switches under the hood and I have checked all the fuses under the hood and on the drivers side panel.

My research shows that it could be the crankshaft position sensor or the ignition module, or the fuel filter or the fuel pump. When I turn the key, I can not hear the pump but the tank is full and it will start if it has sat long enough. What is odd, is that it will start and run and then die after a few minutes, and then restart and run AFTER setting for at least 3 to 6 hours. It will not restart after a few minutes or a few hours, it must be at least 3 hours or more. Some say it could be the fuel pump getting too hot, others say it is a crankshaft postion sensor that is heating up causing a curve in the sensor that straightens out after it cools, allowing the car to start. Yet, others say I could have a huge piece of trash blocking the fuel filter opening when the pump is activated.

This is a daily work vehicle. I would appreciate any assistance figuring out what I need to fix and or replace. Thanks.

This post has been edited by jake: 17 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

#2 User is online   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Have you scanned it for codes? That would tell you if its the crank position sensor. Have you checked the fuel pressure? That will tell you if the problem is due to the fuel pump or filter.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#3 User is offline   jake 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Jake
  • Year: 2002
  • Model: Firebird Convertible
  • Engine: 3.8 L
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. However, I did not see your reply until later in the week (sometimes my computer will not load this site correctly-I get an Explorer "abort" message).

Follow up: Next morning after posting message and after car set all night, it would not start at all. Had Ignition module checked at local part store. They rechecked it and rechecked it. It was good. Scan tool was rented out. Part store said that it could not help me anyway, because my "check engine" light never came on, there would be no codes stored to read ("check guages" light came on after battery started getting low from trying to start it with hazzard lights on) .

Rented a fuel pressure guage. Connected it to fuel rail. No fuel pressure at all. Locals said it could be crank or cam sensors or fuel pump. I bought a used fuel pump assembly (could not buy just a pump). As I removed the tank, I tried the original pump. It worked but was weak. Put in new used pump. It "sounded" much stronger than original pump. Put everything back together (had to make a tool to remove siphon hose from gas tank). Problem was the fuel pump. Car starts and runs great (except it has a slight rough idle until it warms up).

While I had everything torn down, I also changed rear shocks, fuel filter, transmission fluid and filter, oil and oil filter and replaced broken telescoping antenna. Thanks for the help.

#4 User is online   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

For future reference.....

Bad info from the parts store - there are codes that do not turn on the SES light. You have to scan it.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users