FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Removal of front fenders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1967326HO

1967326HO

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • First Name:Rich
  • City:Fort Dodge
  • State or Province:IA
  • Year: 1967
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 326 H O
  • Transmission: 2 speed auto

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

So I am getting ready to remove the hood, front fenders and front valance. Does the front grill have to be removed to accomplish this? Any tips on the easiest way to go about removing all these components? I also have to remove the drivers door, which should be easy after the fender is removed, right?
Growing old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

#2 WHITE-68

WHITE-68

Firebird Master Tech.

• Global Moderator
  • 2,521 posts
  • First Name:Bryon
  • City:Sapulpa
  • State or Province:OK
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors, and Sports
  • Year: 1968
  • Model: Firebird 400
  • Engine: 465 CI Poncho
  • Transmission: Doug Nash 5-Speed

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Its Best to have some one helping you, unless your not worried about the paint.. Pull the bumper assy with grills, lights, etc. as one piece making sure you disconnect all electrical first. Then remove the lower valence and trim panels with the marker lights. Next take the fenders off one at a time, having a man (or a woman) at each end to hold it as to not let it fall or get damaged removing it. To make it easier to access some of the hardware it would be best to remove the hood latch assy. and covers surrounding it as well.

http://thefirstgensi...mtl/shtmtl.html
  • firebird_madness likes this
Posted Image

#3 68BIRD428

68BIRD428

Firebird Tune up Technician

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:DuBois
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:old cars, cruising, diesels, country living. making money
  • Year: 1968
  • Model: Convertible
  • Engine: 428 stroker 466
  • Transmission: TKO600 5 spd

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

So I am getting ready to remove the hood, front fenders and front valance. Does the front grill have to be removed to accomplish this? Any tips on the easiest way to go about removing all these components? I also have to remove the drivers door, which should be easy after the fender is removed, right?

You can leave the front bumper/ grill assembly in place when removing doors, fenders and hood. Doors come off without removing fenders. just remove bolts at hinges. remove hood and remove all bolts holding fender.

#4 1967326HO

1967326HO

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • First Name:Rich
  • City:Fort Dodge
  • State or Province:IA
  • Year: 1967
  • Engine: 326 H O
  • Transmission: 2 speed auto

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Its Best to have some one helping you, unless your not worried about the paint.. Pull the bumper assy with grills, lights, etc. as one piece making sure you disconnect all electrical first. Then remove the lower valence and trim panels with the marker lights. Next take the fenders off one at a time, having a man (or a woman) at each end to hold it as to not let it fall or get damaged removing it. To make it easier to access some of the hardware it would be best to remove the hood latch assy. and covers surrounding it as well.

http://thefirstgensi...mtl/shtmtl.html

You can leave the front bumper/ grill assembly in place when removing doors, fenders and hood. Doors come off without removing fenders. just remove bolts at hinges. remove hood and remove all bolts holding fender.

Thanks guys. This is so helpful. Hope I can repay another forum member someday with the help that I get from others on here.

Edited by 1967326HO, 10 September 2012 - 05:15 PM.

Growing old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

#5 JesusFreak

JesusFreak

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • First Name:Lee
  • City:Allentown
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1969
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: 400

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

Thanks guys. This is so helpful. Hope I can repay another forum member someday with the help that I get from others on here.

I know this is an old thread, but to continue this a bit.... I saw I think somewhere that you can remove the Fender and Inner Fenders together? Anyone have any pics or details on what bolts need to come out where to do this?

Also, I have two large phillips looking screws on the front inside lip of each fender, heads facing the hood. I assume these need to come out? Or do you unbolt the bracket bit that it seems to be attached to? Mine were painted over, so I've got to do some munching to get them out.

Thanks,
JF!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users