Firebird Nation: Do I have a 1999 Pontiac Firbird Limited Edition? - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do I have a 1999 Pontiac Firbird Limited Edition? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pnoneal 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Paul
  • City:Killeen
  • State or Province:TX
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: LS1
  • Transmission: Manual 6 speed

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I just bought this car for $14,000. The owner said he did have the seats recovered but that it was was one the 1600 LE models. How can I be sure I have an original 30th Anniversary Limited Edition?

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/pnoneal/P8180006.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/pnoneal/P8180004-1.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/pnoneal/P8180007.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/pnoneal/P8180005.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/pnoneal/P8180003.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/pnoneal/P8180002.jpg

#2 User is offline   GaryDoug 

• Ramblin' Wreck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Florida West Coast
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:EE from Ga Tech, but I can't fix your TV, so don't ask ;-)
  • Year: 1998
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: 4L60-E Auto

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Maybe these guys could help: http://www.30th-ta.org/
Posted Image
1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily

#3 User is offline   Nerojk 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Jason
  • City:Kingston
  • State or Province:ON
  • Year: 1986
  • Engine: 1976 Carbureted 350
  • Transmission: 5 speed B/W Hurst Shift

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

I took a look at that site and if yours is not a 30th T/A someone spent "way" to much to make it a perfect clone.

This post has been edited by Nerojk: 18 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

#4 User is offline   pnoneal 

• Pip

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostNerojk, on 18 August 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

I took a look at that sight and if yours is not a 30th T/A someone spent "way" to much to make it a perfect clone.

The only thing the guy said he did was have the seats recovered. I'm getting some flack from aonther forum saying it wasn't one of the 1600 made. I asked him if it was because of the seats but he hasn't responded. It has the LS1 Ram Air Engine. Has the 30th Anniversary embled below the air conrol knob as you can see in the picture, plus under the hood. Says it's a WS6 with High Performance Package. I'm not going to complain. I paid 14K for it. The regular ones go for $11K so that's not to much more IMO. I think it's one but would like to know if there is a way to actually verify it.

#5 User is offline   GaryDoug 

• Ramblin' Wreck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Here is an answer for one of the FAQs on the site I referenced before:

RPO Z4C, otherwise know as the 30th T/A Package, contained a multitude of things. First off all Z4C options were placed on top of the base 30th vehicle, an Artic White WS6 T/A Ramair car. The most notable off all the contents of this package were the 17" high polished aluminum wheels with medium blue tint. Dual two-tone blue stripes run the length of the car from the decklid to the front of the hood the end in the Pontiac screaming chicken. Convertible owners get a beautiful navy blue ragtop only available on the 30ths. White leather prado seats with blue stitching help provide a nice cabin for the driver with specially embroidered smooth headrests. White "perf" vinyl door inserts with blue thread topstitching set the door off. There are specific 30th T/A floor mats in the front, and for the coupes, there is a special leather cargo mat with beautiful embroidery. On the black rear trim panel is a white bird with TransAm lettering specific to only the 30th T/A. A unique blue WS6 emblem adorns the right rear of the car. Each door of the car has a 30th Anniversary badge on it; with cloissone blue, white bird, and chrome graphics. Each car also recieved a specifically numbered (4 digit) plaque underneath the radio above the additional accessory outlet.

There is also a member list with the series number for each. I wonder where that is located?

This post has been edited by GaryDoug: 18 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Posted Image
1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily

#6 User is offline   pnoneal 

• Pip

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostGaryDoug, on 18 August 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

Here is an answer for one of the FAQs on the site I referenced before:

RPO Z4C, otherwise know as the 30th T/A Package, contained a multitude of things. First off all Z4C options were placed on top of the base 30th vehicle, an Artic White WS6 T/A Ramair car. The most notable off all the contents of this package were the 17" high polished aluminum wheels with medium blue tint. Dual two-tone blue stripes run the length of the car from the decklid to the front of the hood the end in the Pontiac screaming chicken. Convertible owners get a beautiful navy blue ragtop only available on the 30ths. White leather prado seats with blue stitching help provide a nice cabin for the driver with specially embroidered smooth headrests. White "perf" vinyl door inserts with blue thread topstitching set the door off. There are specific 30th T/A floor mats in the front, and for the coupes, there is a special leather cargo mat with beautiful embroidery. On the black rear trim panel is a white bird with TransAm lettering specific to only the 30th T/A. A unique blue WS6 emblem adorns the right rear of the car. Each door of the car has a 30th Anniversary badge on it; with cloissone blue, white bird, and chrome graphics. Each car also recieved a specifically numbered (4 digit) plaque underneath the radio above the additional accessory outlet.

There is also a member list with the series number for each. I wonder where that is located?

Gary, that it some great information. It is white (not sure if Arctic White) with the ram air and the LS1 engine. The engine does have a rectangular air sucker (for lack of a better word) that matches up to the RamAir front panel. It does have the chrome wheels with blue tint. I will check the doorsfor white perf vinyl door inserts with blue thread topstictinng. The mats had 30th edition on them IIRC and yes the the cargo mat was white with teh 30th Anniversary eidtion embroidery. It has the WS6 blue emblem on the back. I will also check each door for the badge with blue and chrome graphics. I will look for the 4 digit plaue underneath the radio and above the accessory outlet. What's hyour thoughts from my pictures?

#7 User is offline   GaryDoug 

• Ramblin' Wreck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Looks good to me, but I am no expert on those. Why don't you sign up at 30th-ta.org and ask how they come by the series number? Then put yourself on their list.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   pnoneal 

• Pip

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostGaryDoug, on 18 August 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Looks good to me, but I am no expert on those. Why don't you sign up at 30th-ta.org and ask how they come by the series number? Then put yourself on their list.

I tried but the registration wasn't page wasn't working 30 or so minutes ago. I'll check later on or tomorrow. Thanks for all the great info.

Paul

#9 User is offline   lucifar 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:lucifar
  • City:San Jose
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:my car and computers...
  • Year: 1988
  • Make: Poniac
  • Engine: 2.8L
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

wouldnt the pink slip say anything? maybe look up a carfax?

#10 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

If it's a factory car, it will have "WS6" and "Z4C" on the service parts tag. No mystery there. You can also go to this site and put the VIN in and get the complete RPO code list, number produced, etc.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?

This info will not be on the title, and can not be decoded from the VIN. It has to be extracted from the service parts tag and/or the VIN data base.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#11 User is offline   pnoneal 

• Pip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostInjuneer, on 19 August 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

If it's a factory car, it will have "WS6" and "Z4C" on the service parts tag. No mystery there. You can also go to this site and put the VIN in and get the complete RPO code list, number produced, etc.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?

This info will not be on the title, and can not be decoded from the VIN. It has to be extracted from the service parts tag and/or the VIN data base.

Where would the service parts tag be on this car?

This post has been edited by pnoneal: 19 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

#12 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Usually in the glove box. If not, on the end of the driver's door, or in the console. It will look like this (this is not a Firebird tag, just a typical picture I found on the internet):

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/images/paint-codes/GMC-1.jpg
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#13 User is offline   GaryDoug 

• Ramblin' Wreck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

My 98 has it on the driver side door, but, but on a collector car, they may not have put it there for aesthetic reasons.

(Wonder why the system won't let me post an attachment for this topic??? Must be sick of looking at my photos ;-)
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   TransAmer99 

• Put the EVIDENCE in the Car!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • First Name:Jim
  • City:281 - Spring
  • Interests:Firebird & Trans Am Diecast
    Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors
    Firearms & Shooting
    N-Scale Model Railroading
  • Year: 1980
  • Engine: 1972 Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: TH-350, 2.41 rear

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Welcome for FBN, Paul. There should be a sticker on the driver's door above the latch mechanism with all of the RPO's listed. If you can find 'Z4C' listed there, that should be all the proof you need to know yours is an original 30th Anniversary car. All of the late-4th Gens had the sticker located there, regardless of whether it was a special edition or garden variety Firebird.
Posted Image

Rest In Peace, Pete, a.k.a. "Brother Rat" and Jay, our Firebird Brother!
Y'all two keep each other out of trouble up there, okay?

#15 User is offline   pnoneal 

• Pip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostTransAmer99, on 19 August 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Welcome for FBN, Paul. There should be a sticker on the driver's door above the latch mechanism with all of the RPO's listed. If you can find 'Z4C' listed there, that should be all the proof you need to know yours is an original 30th Anniversary car. All of the late-4th Gens had the sticker located there, regardless of whether it was a special edition or garden variety Firebird.

How do you know if it's the limited edition where they only made 1600? That's what sold me on the car but I showed the pictures on another forum and one person seems to think it's just a standard 30th anniversary edition. I'm picking it up at 10:00 A.M. tomorrow morning and I will look for the Z4C and WS6 on it. Does the Z4C indicate the limited edition of only 1600 made? I just want to have peace of mind that it was the Limited Edition model as he priced it as one. I looked on KBB and the value for a standard 30th edition was around 10-11K. I'm paying more than that for this one because he stated it was the LE version which makes it more expensive I assume.

Either way I'm still buying it because me and the wife both fell in love with it. I just want peace of mind that the guy didn't take advantage of me.

Paul

This post has been edited by pnoneal: 19 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

#16 User is offline   Nerojk 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Jason
  • City:Kingston
  • State or Province:ON
  • Year: 1986
  • Engine: 1976 Carbureted 350
  • Transmission: 5 speed B/W Hurst Shift

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

I might be wrong but there shouldent be any difference, a 30th is a 30th, I would be sure that they would make only a limited number and that would be the 1600, you should make sure that person even knows what they are talking about or are just blowing it out there a*s.

#17 User is offline   GaryDoug 

• Ramblin' Wreck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

What's the number on the dash plaque? Does it not conflict with those on the 30th-ta.org site?

Maybe print out their list and compare it when you pick up the car. There are some details even for numbers that they can't find currently.

This post has been edited by GaryDoug: 19 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   pnoneal 

• Pip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostGaryDoug, on 19 August 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

What's the number on the dash plaque? Does it not conflict with those on the 30th-ta.org site?

Hi Gary,
I pick it up tomorrow morning at 10am so I will check for the plaque and the sticker for peace of mind. You guys have been a great help with all my questions and I really do appreciate it.

Paul

This post has been edited by pnoneal: 19 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

#19 User is offline   pnoneal 

• Pip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostNerojk, on 19 August 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

I might be wrong but there shouldent be any difference, a 30th is a 30th, I would be sure that they would make only a limited number and that would be the 1600, you should make sure that person even knows what they are talking about or are just blowing it out there a*s.

Widipedia shows they made17,170 firebirds that year but only 1600 for the limited edition. Here's a quote from them:

1999The Big 3-0 A new 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Trans Am added a little distinction to the 1999 Firebird offerings. Otherwise, there were only minor changes. Formulas and Trans Ams now had a four-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment. Buyers could choose from it or a six-speed manual, which had a Hurst shifter. Traction control was available on V-6 Firebirds. Specific V-6 Firebirds also got a Torsen II slip-reduction rear axle as standard equipment. An Electronic Brake Force Distribution system and solenoid-based Bosch anti-lock brake system enhanced stopping capabilities. Also new was an upgraded sensing and diagnostic module to improve the passenger-protection system.
COLORS 10=Artic White, 11=Pewter Metallic, 13=Silver Metallic, 20=Medium Blue Metallic, 28=Navy Blue Metallic, 31=Bright Green Metallic, 41=Black, 79=Blue-Green Chameleon and 81=Bright Red.
Firebird Series F/ V6 The availability of GM's Traction Control system was extended to the V-6-powered Firebirds this year. All Firebirds with V-8 and some with a V-6 had a Zexel Torsen II slip-reduction rear axle. An Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) system replaced the old hydraulic proportioning valve for improved brake performance. Also new was a solenoid-based Bosch antilock braking system. An enhanced Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) recorded vehicle speed, engine rpm, throttle position and brake use in the last five seconds prior to airbag deployment. Standard equipment for the Firebird coupe included extensive acoustical insulation, dual front airbags, air conditioning, a black fixed-mast antenna at right rear, a brake/transmission shift interlock safety feature (with automatic transmission), power four-wheel disc brakes with four-wheel ABS, the UPC L36 3800 Series II 200 hp SFI V-6 engine, cruise control, electric rear- and side-window defoggers, Solar-Ray tinted glass, instrumentation (including electric analog speedometer, tachometer, odometer, coolant temperature indicator, oil pressure gauge, voltmeter and LED trip odometer), sport exterior mirrors (left-hand remote controlled, right-hand manual), a day/night inside rearview mirror with reading lamps, left- and right-hand covered visor-vanity mirrors, a Delco AM/FM stereo ETR radio and cassette (with seven-band graphic equalizer, touch control, search-and-replay, Delco TheftLock, clock, seek up/down, remote CD pre-wiring and four-speaker coaxial sound system), reclining front bucket seats, four-way driver and passenger front seat manual adjusters, a rear two-passenger folding seat, a four-spoke sport tilt steering wheel with adjustable column, the PASS-Key II theft-deterrent system, P215/60R16 touring tires with a high-pressure compact spare, the UPC MM5 five-speed manual transmission, controlled-cycle windshield wipers and bright silver 16-in. five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels. Model Number: F/S; Body/Style Number: 87, 67; Body Type & Seating: 2d hatchback, convertible-4P; Factory Price: $18,700, $25,320; Shipping Weight: 3,340, 3,465 lbs.; Production Total: 17,170

This post has been edited by pnoneal: 19 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

#20 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

If it's a 30th, it's a "limited edition" because they only made 1,600 30th cars. There are no variations on a 30th. There are NO 30th "not a limited edition" cars.

There are more WS6 cars besides the 30th. That option was available on cars that were not 30th cars. But to order the Z4C option, which applies to all 30th cars, you had to order WS6 first.

Read EXACTLY what we are trying to tell you. This does not need to be as complicated as you are making it.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users