Firebird Nation: A few easy questions on intake manifold gasket installation - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A few easy questions on intake manifold gasket installation Also have some questions about cooling fans and electric chokes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Thebutt 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Clinton
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:guns, women, beer, awful b-movies, nice old cars, photoshop
  • Year: 1984
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 305 LG4
  • Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 Non WC

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have a few questions based on this weekend's adventures:

Doing an intake manifold gasket and pushrod cover gasket job and I understand that I'm supposed to use gasket sealant on both the intake and the cylinder head sides? Is there any sure-fire method to get everything lined up so I don't blow it with a vacuum leak and have to do it all over again?

Bought a new fan clutch, the thermal type. Should I use the current fan already on it (4-blade)?
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s125/poopubucket/Machines%20and%20misc/78%20Trans%20Am%20-%20red/fan01.jpg

Or should I use this one from my other 78 bird (7-blade)?
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s125/poopubucket/Machines%20and%20misc/78%20Trans%20Am%20-%20red/fan02.jpg

All I read is that some fans don't have the ability to attach to a fan clutch and some do. This is not my level of expertise though. I'm not even sure what type of fan originally came with the car so if the above fans don't work, should I buy a new one?

Picked up an electric choke element and want to remove the old-and-not-so -effective automatic choke and I understand you have to connect it to a "key on power 12v source". Where is the absolutely best area ont he wiring harness to "splice" this in?

#2 User is offline   Thebutt 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Clinton
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:guns, women, beer, awful b-movies, nice old cars, photoshop
  • Year: 1984
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 305 LG4
  • Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 Non WC

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Weird, no views or replies but that's ok because I have one answer:

1) Yeah, no sealant of any kind is to be used on intake manifold gaskets. The Fel Pro gasket set came with these little orange rings that I placed inside the large holes in the gaskets once they were replaced. This holds them in place while I lowered the intake manifold back on the engine. Word of advice--It's best to have a friend help to lower the intake as the s.o.b. is really heavy and you could probably bend/squash the new gaskets if you do it yourself.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users