Firebird Nation: Spark Plug Question - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spark Plug Question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tfrederick74656 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Tyler
  • City:Chalfont
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Convertible
  • Engine: 3.4L L32 V6
  • Transmission: THM 4L60E 4-speed Auto

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

Hello all,

So it's that time again...the time when I scramble to do maintenance before heading back to school. I'm thinking about putting in a set of Nology Silver (http://www.nology.com/silver.html) spark plugs, but I'm a bit concerned about the stated reach. Most of the plugs I see for the 3.4L engine have reaches between 10-12mm, but the Nology plugs reach 17.5mm! That difference seemed excessive enough to make me worried. I know a 17mm reach was common to the 3.8L and 5.7L engines. Are these simply mis-marked as being appropriate with the 3.4L, or am I just being paranoid for no reason? The model number listed as being compatible is the G4YS (Specs: http://www.racinglab...ilver-g4ys.html).

Thanks for any input you can provide!

#2 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

What do you feel you will gain wiyth those plugs? I have an 800HP race engine, running a huge shot of nitrous, and it runs best on a set of cheap, copper electrode Champion racing plugs, about $2 each. You wiill not see any performance gain by investing big $$$ in a gimmick spark plug.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#3 User is offline   WHITE-68 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderator
  • First Name:Bryon
  • City:Vacaville
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:Muscle Cars and Sports
  • Year: 1968
  • Model: Firebird 400
  • Engine: 465 CI Poncho
  • Transmission: Doug Nash 5-Speed

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

It will not put a hole in your piston, nor will it give you any gain in performance or MPG.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   GaryDoug 

• Ramblin' Wreck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Florida West Coast
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:EE from Ga Tech, but I can't fix your TV, so don't ask ;-)
  • Year: 1998
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: 4L60-E Auto

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Ignition circuits are high relatively high impedance, so a few milli-ohms lower resistance isn't going to be significant. Silver versus copper in this kind of application is electrically way overkill, and has no benefit. Now, if it can be proven that the silver will last longer than the copper, that is another issue. However, the original copper AC plugs in my 98 TA lasted over 90k miles without significant deterioration. While replacing them, I wondered why I was even doing it since they looked almost like new. FYI, gold is actually the best conductor, but totally unsuitable.

I would be concerned about the extra 6 mm length, not necessarily because of a possible conflict, but because the plug threads may extend beyond the threads in the head and become so contaminated with carbon and other deposits that they are difficult, if not impossible, to remove without some damage to the head..Before buying these, I would try to measure the thread depth in the head somehow, If it is indeed deep enough (17 mm), then the original 11 mm plugs will have left maybe 6 mm of threads in the head with deposits that will need to be cleared with a long thread chaser.

This post has been edited by GaryDoug: 09 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

Posted Image
1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily

#5 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Posttfrederick74656, on 09 August 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

First off, it's not a gimmick. A rip-off, yes. I will agree with you on that. However, any self-respecting chemist would tell you that silver has a much lower electrical resistance than any other metal. That's a fact. So gimmick, no. Worth the money...probably not. But that's not really what I care about.

When I buy anything, no matter if it's a roll of toilet paper or a house, I do my research. I find the best product out there (IMO) that I can afford, and I buy it. It's worked well for me in the past, so I keep doing it. I'm not some noob kid expecting to squeeze a few extra hp from some cheesy product, I just appreciate a (IMO) innovative idea.

I would, however, appreciate an answer to my original question: Is a 17.5mm reach spark plug in an L32 going to put a hole in my pistons?

Thank you in advance for any help! :)

Thanks for the condescending response. As a licensed professional engineer with 49 years of experience, I've got a fairly decent knowledge of the relative thermal and electrical conductivity of various materials. Gary - also an engineer - has explained the error of your analysis. I won't repeat it.

I guess if it costs more and has flashy advertising, it must be the best.

Since my attempt to help you offended you so much, I'll avoid your posts in the future.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#6 User is offline   tfrederick74656 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:Tyler
  • City:Chalfont
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: Firebird Convertible
  • Engine: 3.4L L32 V6
  • Transmission: THM 4L60E 4-speed Auto

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostGaryDoug, on 09 August 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

<br>Ignition circuits are high relatively high impedance, so a few milli-ohms lower resistance isn't going to be significant. Silver versus copper in this kind of application is electrically way overkill, and has no benefit. Now, if it can be proven that the silver will last longer than the copper, that is another issue. However, the original copper AC plugs in my 98 TA lasted over 90k miles without significant deterioration. While replacing them, I wondered why I was even doing it since they looked almost like new. FYI, gold is actually the best conductor, but totally unsuitable.<br><br>I would be concerned about the extra 6 mm length, not necessarily because of a possible conflict, but because the plug threads may extend beyond the threads in the head and become so contaminated with carbon and other deposits that they are difficult, if not impossible, to remove without some damage to the head..Before buying these, I would try to measure the thread depth in the head somehow, If it is indeed deep enough (17 mm), then the original 11 mm plugs will have left maybe 6 mm of threads in the head with deposits that will need to be cleared with a long thread chaser.<br>
<br><br>Thanks for the advice! I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. It's pouring outside right not, but I'll check it out when it stops, and report back with what I find.<br><br>And actually, both Silver and Copper are better conductors than Gold. Gold is just used more often because it is much less prone to corrosion. (<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity#Resistivity_of_various_materials" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">https://en.wikipedia...rious_materials</a>). I do realize that that your remarks are justified, as my Firebird, at 107k, is still running the factory copper plugs.<br><br>

<div>

View PostInjuneer, on 09 August 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

<br>Thanks for the condescending response. As a licensed professional engineer with 49 years of experience, I've got a fairly decent knowledge of the relative thermal and electrical conductivity of various materials.&nbsp;&nbsp;Gary - also an engineer - has explained the error of your analysis.&nbsp;&nbsp;I won't repeat it.<br><br>I guess if it costs more and has flashy advertising, it must be the best.<br><br>Since my attempt to help you offended you so much, I'll avoid your posts in the future.<br>

</div><div><br></div><div>My apologies if I've come off as condescending. I'm not looking to make any enemies on my first day here. I do realize that you have vastly greater knowledge and experience in this area than myself, however I do not appreciate being attacked on my first post on this site. I was looking for an answer to a simple, technical question about a specification I believed might not be appropriate for my vehicle, and all I received was flack about my buying choice. If I was looking for an opinion on the product I was buying,&nbsp;I would've asked for. I appreciate your feedback on said product, but it is your opinion, and I choose not to take it into consideration.</div>

This post has been edited by tfrederick74656: 09 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

#7 User is offline   WHITE-68 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm having trouble even making out your last response. I've deleted the 2nd remark from you as it has no value to this thread on the second post; and I think your question has been answered by 3 very knowledgeable people. In the future, be assured we are only trying to help, and not thinking for you or questioning your judgement. I hope you find what you need here and we are happy to have you. Fred is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world on 4th Gen. F-Body's you may want to reword your last response.

Bryon
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   WHITE-68 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

Gary you can Edit the post the rest was valuable, just edit the one section out by clicking on the edit Icon at the bottom right of your post.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   GaryDoug 

• Ramblin' Wreck
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Florida West Coast
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:EE from Ga Tech, but I can't fix your TV, so don't ask ;-)
  • Year: 1998
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: 4L60-E Auto

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostWHITE-68, on 09 August 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

Gary you can Edit the post the rest was valuable, just edit the one section out by clicking on the edit Icon at the bottom right of your post.

No I can't; there is no edit feature available for me. I don't know why this fact escapes most moderators. It isn't the first time.
Posted Image
1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users