Firebird Nation: 1st Generation Production Numbers - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1st Generation Production Numbers

#1 User is offline   Firebird400 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:David
  • City:Stuart
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:Yes
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird 400
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: T-400

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

I know this is probably asked a lot, and i did find an old thread about. But I was wondering if any better production numbers have come out in the last few years?

I remember hearing a few years ago that a group had all the actual numbers, but it would take someone to manually go through them to figure out the breakdowns. Was this true?

I have a '68 Firebird 400, convertible with AC, also has Deluxe Interior, and several other options. I'm trying to get an idea of how many were built, even if it's just a "ballpark guess"

Thanks, David

#2 User is online   raguza123 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:Carmine
  • City:East Haven
  • State or Province:CT
  • Interests:working on cars, computers, gaming, movies and hiking
  • Year: 1981
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 305
  • Transmission: 4 spd manual

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

Have you tried the Pontiac Historical Society?

They have a lot of facts about the 1st gen's, or there are other sites with info too.

I have info on the 67 only from PHS

#3 User is offline   Firebird400 

• Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

View Postraguza123, on 25 July 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Have you tried the Pontiac Historical Society?

They have a lot of facts about the 1st gen's, or there are other sites with info too.

I have info on the 67 only from PHS

I tried, but could not find them online. Google didn't find a actual website for them, just mention of them in a lot other web-sites. But i thought they were more about just confirming what a VIN or car actually had as options, build date etc.... I'm really not looking for that info, I have original window sticker, both build sheets, protecto-plate....etc, so I know exactly everything about my car is accurate and original.

If you have a link to their site, please post it and i'll dig through it and see what i can find.

thanks,

#4 User is online   raguza123 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • First Name:Carmine
  • City:East Haven
  • State or Province:CT
  • Interests:working on cars, computers, gaming, movies and hiking
  • Year: 1981
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 305
  • Transmission: 4 spd manual

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

I believe this is the site: ( www. phs-online.com/index.html ) and you can find out all the info they have, they do have some production numbers for you. It may have changed, but it cost me $25 back in 1992 when I ordered my packet, hopefully they can help you.

#5 User is offline   Firebird400 

• Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

That's the site I went to, thought it wasn't the actual Pontiac historical society . Seems they only want to sell you documentation on your car or to sell cars. No free info on the site at all, or at least I could find. I know all about my car so they really cant tell me anything I don't know.
Thanks for the help but think phs is a dead end. Any other ideas? Anybody?

#6 User is offline   Firebird400 

• Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

I found this on-line, but I know it's several years old. Does any body have or know of any better production number breakdown than these?

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">For the '68 Firebird, here are some Production Totals. Note, some figures are from research by Fred Simmonds (PMD) while other numbers are estimates based on the Engine Production Log and Coupe -vs- Conv Ratio....

1968 FIREBIRD PRODUCTION
Coupes: 90,152Conv: 16,960400 Option 21,000* (est. based on 21,354 engines built)400 Auto (base) 11,000* (est. based on 11,151 engines built)400 4-spd (base) 7,500* (est. based on 7,563 engines built)400 Conv. 3,500* (est. based on coupe -vs- conv. ratio)400 H.O. 2,087400 H.O. 4spd 1,400* (est. based on 1,415 engines built)400 H.O. auto 650* (est. based on 684 engines built)400 H.O. conv. 350* (est. based on coupe -vs- conv. ratio)400 Ram Air I 413* (total engines: 414)400 Ram Air II 110* (total engines: 127)400 Ram Air Conv. 12* (per Fred Simmonds 7/89)

The site also said this:

"Obviously, the only sure way to determine exactly how many Firebirds were built with the H.O. option is to research the Billing History Files at PMD. This would require viewing (or scanning ?) all BH's from 1968, looking for Firebirds, then counting only those with the 348 engine option sales code. To break things down further, one would have to sort the count by body style code and trans option. This could be done given the interest by many enthusiasts out there. However, since these files are somewhat 'controlled' by a private company who sells the information, it's not likely to happen anytime soon."

Has anyone ever heard of this or know if it's ever going to happen?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users