Firebird Nation banner

Car starts hard on cold starts only

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  brarei200 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys I have an issue,

My car starts hard (as in cranking over for a while and bogs down at start, and it's not cold outside, it's summer, lol) on the first start of the day when the engine is cold. It does not do it when warm, although i can smell gas sometimes when starting it warm. After it starts hard though, it clears up and it seems like there are no issues what so ever with the car when driving. I have no idea where to start on an issue like this. 134,XXX miles, maybe the fuel pump is going?

I put my scanner on it and I have no codes at all.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I have no SES light

Thanks guys!
Shea

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Use your scanner to see what the coolant temp sensor says the temp is when you try to start it cold.

Engine off - check the fuel pressure after the pump primes, then shuts off. Watch how fast the pressure drops after shutoff.

Does the engine start any faster cold if you put the accel pedal on the floor before you turn the key to start, and hold the pedal on the floor until the engine starts?

Does the engine start any faster cold if you cycle the key on/off a few times before trying to start it?

#9 ·
I can't find coolant temp on my scanner's live feed. (It's not an expensive scanner)

I don't have the proper tools to check fuel pressure, maybe I could get it in sometime or order the tester and do it myself, but I have no idea what to order.

Yes, it does start faster if I put my foot on the accel pedal.

Yes, it does start faster if I cycle the key on/off.

Thanks for the reply's guys!

#4 ·
Sounds like you may have a fuel pressure issue. As Fred said, check the pressure first. That will give you the best indication if there is a fuel related problem.

#6 ·
The first one (Actron)is the only one to consider. Appears to have the correct fitting to connect to the Schrader valve, and has a button to relieve the fuel pressure. No idea of the quality of the pressure gauge itself, but most Actron stuff is decent.

Reactions: brarei200
#7 ·
The first one says it for TBI vehicles that do not have the fitting on the fuel rail. The one I bought that works on my 98 (cheapo one, can't recommend it really) says it will not work on TBI GM cars. Must be a different fitting? Or maybe an adapter is included?

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
The "adapter" for TBI converts a non-Schrader valve fitting to the -4AN configuration of the Schrader valve, so the fitting that is in the end of the hose will screw onto it.

•Large easy to read 0-60 psi scale
•36" flexible connection hose
•Adapter fitting for GM TBI systems
•Solid brass fittings
•Pressure relief valve for safe, clean testing
•Instructions in English and Spanish
•One Year Factory Warranty
An alternative would be the Actron CP7818, without the adapter.

#11 ·
Idk man, but it works. Maybe I have a loss of pressure in the fuel system before startup and that helps build pressure? Definitely not a guru here though, just taking a guess.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, so my scanner read 86 degrees F engine coolant temp on a cold start yesterday, and that was in fact the temperature outside. Then after that it just slowly started to climb after the engine was warming up.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.