Firebird Nation: Smells like fuel why? - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smells like fuel why? Smells like raw fuel inside my car IDK why? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   zombiekilla95 

• Pontiac Firebird Tire Changer
  • PipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Byron
  • City:Riverside
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:Hot Rods and Muscle Cars ,T. A's
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7 Lt1
  • Transmission: 4L60E

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Drove my car yesterday to pay some bills it was very hot out and there was a lot of traffic and then on the way home i started to smell fuel didn't think any thing of it ,thought it was the car in front of me ,got home parked the car still smells like gas checked all around for gas dripping out nothing, I waited for the car to cool down and then opened the door to open the hood and then it smelled real strong like gas inside the car oh and when i was on the brakes the car seem like it wanted to go then it kept jumping like it wants to go.... its never done that before does any one know what it could be ?

This post has been edited by zombiekilla95: 10 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

#2 User is offline   djfirebird93 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery
  • Group: FBNCC Member
  • First Name:DJ
  • City:Jefferson City
  • State or Province:MO
  • Year: 1999
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800 Series II
  • Transmission: 4L60E Automatic

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Did you check the gas cap?
My bird is a working progress. New Marshall engine-forged pistons, upgraded rockers and stronger rods/bearings. Rebuilt transmission. New LSD. I wish money grew on trees :)

#3 User is offline   zombiekilla95 

• PipPip

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

View Postdjfirebird93, on 10 July 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Did you check the gas cap?

Yeah i did it looked ok but the gasket around it was cracked so i went out and bought a new gas cap i was trying to be cheap and just wanted to buy the gasket instead of the hole thing. Plus i like to buy the gas cap with the lock on it so it costs a little more $14.00 , did a quick test drive with the new gas cap and i didn't smell any thing idk it might have been the gas cap, it did look old the gasket around the gas cap was cracked i think that bought it back in 2006 or so i read some where that the gas caps last about ten years, probably not true then. I hope that it was the gas cap :crossfingers22:

#4 User is offline   TransAmer99 

• Put the EVIDENCE in the Car!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • First Name:Jim
  • City:281 - Spring
  • State or Province:TX
  • Interests:Firebird & Trans Am Diecast
    Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors
    Firearms & Shooting
    N-Scale Model Railroading
  • Year: 1980
  • Engine: 1972 Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: TH-350, 2.41 rear

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

When you do a complete fillup, do you keep adding fuel after the handle shuts off? You're supposed to stop at the first click. Adding more fuel can cause it do backfill through the vapor return line, eventually saturating the vapor canister. Or so I've been told.
Posted Image

Rest In Peace, Pete, a.k.a. "Brother Rat" and Jay, our Firebird Brother!
Y'all two keep each other out of trouble up there, okay?

#5 User is offline   djfirebird93 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

That's true, Jim.

The only reason why I suggest the gas cap is because this girl brought her 2005 Chevy Aveo in my mechanics place while I was there. But they were too busy to look at it. So I went out to look at it, and it smelled strongly of gas. Didn't find any leaks, so I checked the gas cap. All cracked and wasn't sealed. My mechanic had one at his shop, and the smell went away.
My bird is a working progress. New Marshall engine-forged pistons, upgraded rockers and stronger rods/bearings. Rebuilt transmission. New LSD. I wish money grew on trees :)

#6 User is offline   zombiekilla95 

• PipPip

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostTransAmer99, on 11 July 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

When you do a complete fillup, do you keep adding fuel after the handle shuts off? You're supposed to stop at the first click. Adding more fuel can cause it do backfill through the vapor return line, eventually saturating the vapor canister. Or so I've been told.

I never let it spill over , at first click i stop pumping gas oh and i didn't pump gas that day so that's why it was so weird .

#7 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Try and locate the source of the fumes. I had a cracked vent line on top of the fuel tank, the one that connects to the charcoal canister in the driver's rear fender. When I would stop at a light, particularly with the windows down, the smell of fuel in the cabin would be overpowering. Specially when it was venting 116-octane leaded VP Fuels C16 :) . With your car being at least 17 years old, there's a good chance yours is rotted away.

If you feel the smell is concentrated under the hood, check the vacuum compensation line for the fuel pressure regulator. That can flow raw fuel if the diaphragm in the FPR leaks. If you find fuel in the vacuum line, immediately check your oil for gasoline dilution.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#8 User is offline   zombiekilla95 

• PipPip

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostInjuneer, on 11 July 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Try and locate the source of the fumes. I had a cracked vent line on top of the fuel tank, the one that connects to the charcoal canister in the driver's rear fender. When I would stop at a light, particularly with the windows down, the smell of fuel in the cabin would be overpowering. Specially when it was venting 116-octane leaded VP Fuels C16 :) . With your car being at least 17 years old, there's a good chance yours is rotted away.

If you feel the smell is concentrated under the hood, check the vacuum compensation line for the fuel pressure regulator. That can flow raw fuel if the diaphragm in the FPR leaks. If you find fuel in the vacuum line, immediately check your oil for gasoline dilution.

Ok cool thanks for that info i did look at the vent line and the the purge valve ,charcoal canister yesterday and didn't smell any thing i just took the plastic piece that goes around the filler neck off and stuck my nose in there i didnt smell any strong fuel fumes idk the FPR i replaced about a year ago or so it should still be good right?

#9 User is offline   djfirebird93 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

View Postzombiekilla95, on 11 July 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

Ok cool thanks for that info i did look at the vent line and the the purge valve ,charcoal canister yesterday and didn't smell any thing i just took the plastic piece that goes around the filler neck off and stuck my nose in there i didnt smell any strong fuel fumes idk the FPR i replaced about a year ago or so it should still be good right?

It should be, yeah. If you don't notice any performance problems, I doubt the FPR will be the cause. Where do you smell it the most? Front or back? Driver's side engine, passenger, etc?

#10 User is offline   zombiekilla95 

• PipPip

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

View Postdjfirebird93, on 11 July 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

It should be, yeah. If you don't notice any performance problems, I doubt the FPR will be the cause. Where do you smell it the most? Front or back? Driver's side engine, passenger, etc?

When it happened it was hard to tell and then i thought it was the car in front of me and then when i got home it smelled like gas all on the drivers side near the back by the gas door , and then smelled strong inside the car ,i think that it was the gas cap since i put the new one on it hasn't done it again .but you know what i have not driven the car on the freeway yet , because when it first happened i was getting on the freeway and then i thought that the smell was coming of the car in front of me i had the windows down at the time so.... i am going to test it out on the freeway to see if it happens again.i think that might have to buy a new tool one of those fuel pressure meter just to make sure i have the right fuel pressure that's my best way to find out if there is anything wrong right?

#11 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

Check the vacuum compensation line on the FPR for wet fuel. Is it likely a newer unit failed? No, but check the vacuum line to rule it out.

Run the engine with the vacuum line off (maximizes fuel rail pressure) and feel around the tops of the injectors where they push into the fuel rails. A damaged injector upper o-ring will leak at that location. Checking how fast the fuel pressure drops when the pump shuts off will tell you if some component - injector, FPR, and fuel lines - is leaking.

When you loosen the fuel cap, has the amount of pressure released by the tank increased recently?

If the tank vent line or the pressure relief valve are leaking vapor, it's going to be concentrated under the car toward the center. I just know when my vent line was cracked, when I stopped at a light with the windows open, the smell was strongest inside the car.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#12 User is offline   zombiekilla95 

• PipPip

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostInjuneer, on 12 July 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

Check the vacuum compensation line on the FPR for wet fuel. Is it likely a newer unit failed? No, but check the vacuum line to rule it out.

Run the engine with the vacuum line off (maximizes fuel rail pressure) and feel around the tops of the injectors where they push into the fuel rails. A damaged injector upper o-ring will leak at that location. Checking how fast the fuel pressure drops when the pump shuts off will tell you if some component - injector, FPR, and fuel lines - is leaking.

When you loosen the fuel cap, has the amount of pressure released by the tank increased recently?

If the tank vent line or the pressure relief valve are leaking vapor, it's going to be concentrated under the car toward the center. I just know when my vent line was cracked, when I stopped at a light with the windows open, the smell was strongest inside the car.

Its funny that you mentioned this(When you loosen the fuel cap, has the amount of pressure released by the tank increased recently?) i was just thinking about how i have not heard any hissing sound of pressure when i take off the gas cap lately . Ok so is this a good thing or bad thing??:crossfingers22:

#13 User is offline   98firebird 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderator
  • First Name:Garrett
  • City:Clarkston
  • State or Province:MI
  • Interests:Driving..
  • Year: 1998
  • Transmission: 4L60E 4-speed Auto

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

View Postzombiekilla95, on 12 July 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Its funny that you mentioned this(When you loosen the fuel cap, has the amount of pressure released by the tank increased recently?) i was just thinking about how i have not heard any hissing sound of pressure when i take off the gas cap lately . Ok so is this a good thing or bad thing??:crossfingers22:

That is good. Pressure buildup in the fuel tank is NOT a good thing to have.
—Travel the road less traveled...

#14 User is offline   zombiekilla95 

• PipPip

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Post98firebird, on 12 July 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Ok cool..... that's a relief .....http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/B%29.gif

#15 User is offline   brarei200 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Brandon
  • City:Birdsboro
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:Firebirds
    Motocross
    Computers
  • Year: 1997
  • Engine: 3.8L v6
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

View Post98firebird, on 12 July 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

When I take my gas cap off it hisses at me... ???
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:13 AM

The fuel tank is designed to operate under pressure, pushing vent vapors through the charcoal canister. Some pressure is normal. If you have a fuel pump that is overheating, you will get a heavier vapor load, and the pressure may increase because the system can't handle all the vapor.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   brarei200 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
    Motocross
    Computers

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostInjuneer, on 13 July 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

The fuel tank is designed to operate under pressure, pushing vent vapors through the charcoal canister. Some pressure is normal. If you have a fuel pump that is overheating, you will get a heavier vapor load, and the pressure may increase because the system can't handle all the vapor.

If this is the case, what's the fix? Sounds like the fuel pump is overheating for me.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

View Postbrarei200, on 13 July 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

If this is the case, what's the fix? Sounds like the fuel pump is overheating for me.

Always tricky when you highjack someone else's thread. You never know who is responding to whom. Read what I said.

I said the system operates under pressure. When you open the cap, the pressure will escape = hiss. Normal, unless its a huge hiss, and the vehicle is experiencing problems like vapor lock or fuel smell at the rear of the car.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   brarei200 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
    Motocross
    Computers

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostInjuneer, on 13 July 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Always tricky when you highjack someone else's thread. You never know who is responding to whom. Read what I said.

I said the system operates under pressure. When you open the cap, the pressure will escape = hiss. Normal, unless its a huge hiss, and the vehicle is experiencing problems like vapor lock or fuel smell at the rear of the car.

Sorry :( I have a thread but it didn't get much attention and this is related

Define huge hiss....
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users