Firebird Nation: EVAP DIAGRAM!?! - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EVAP DIAGRAM!?! NEED HELP WITH EVAP COMPONENTS\WIRING DIAGRAM Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DUTCHKILL1308 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: New Member
  • First Name:MICHAEL
  • City:EL CAJON
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:GETTING MY BIRD FLYING AGAIN!!
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: PONTIAC
  • Model: FIREBIRD
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: AUTO

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:15 AM

DOES ANYONE HAVE A DIAGRAM OF THE EVAP SYSTEM FOR A 1995 FIREBIRD 3.8L V-6? I HAVE A PROBLEM! MY REPAIR MANUAL DOESN'T SHOW WHERE THE COMPONENTS PLUG INTO THE WIRING HARNESS. THERE ARE TWO COMPONENTS,AND SHOULD BE TWO PLUGS, BUT I ONLY SEE ONE. ANY HELP? THANX! DUTCH

#2 User is offline   joesperformance 

• Psycho Joe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:joe
  • City:Dayton
  • State or Province:TX
  • Interests:CARS!! What else is there?
  • Year: 1998
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.9l v6
  • Transmission: 6 spd

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

I've been searching the web for last 45 min and I cant find anything to help you out, I am finding for the Formula's and TA's, but not the v6.

This post has been edited by joesperformance: 16 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

#3 User is offline   DUTCHKILL1308 

• Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

View Postjoesperformance, on 16 February 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

I've been searching the web for last 45 min and I cant find anything to help you out, I am finding for the Formula's and TA's, but not the v6.

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP! I'M HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING TO THE BOTTOM OF MY SITUATION! (....next stop: pick-a-part!.....)

#4 User is offline   Beaverskeet 

• Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Beaver
  • City:phoenix
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Year: 1989
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7 l tpi
  • Transmission: manual

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:07 AM

i just had the same exact problem with a hose from my vapor canister. i have a 3rd gen though. you might be able to find a wiring diagram in the back of your haynes, if your problems are only electric. also, you might have a diagram on the inside of your hood. which wires are you trying to find?

#5 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

Did you check the emissions diagram on the radiator cover? That will show what components you have in your system, and where they are located. In the V8's (93-95) there is only one electronic component, and that it the EVAP purge solenoid with a single electrical connection. I would expect the V6 system to be the same. In 96 they added a vacuum detection switch. Is that the second component you are asking about? If not, you need to post some pictures of the parts and where they were located. The vacuum switch was added in 96 when they went to OBD-II and needed an additional diagnostic to show whether the EVAP system was working. The 3.8L engine was introduced in the middle of the 95 model year, but its possible they added the switch since they knew the engine was going to be set up for OBD-II the next year. There is no connection on the OBD-I PCM for a vacuum switch.

Is your engine the original engine? If someone swapped in a later model engine, it would have the vacuum switch, but there wouldn't be anywhere to plug it in. Have you scanned the PCM for codes? A disconnected component would set a code.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

#6 User is offline   DUTCHKILL1308 

• Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:21 AM

View PostBeaverskeet, on 17 February 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

i just had the same exact problem with a hose from my vapor canister. i have a 3rd gen though. you might be able to find a wiring diagram in the back of your haynes, if your problems are only electric. also, you might have a diagram on the inside of your hood. which wires are you trying to find?

One of the components is the Canister Purge Solenoid and the other is the EVAP canister vent valve. My problem is, it looks as though I only have the electrical connection for the Canister Purge Solenoid coming out of the wiring harness. I can't find the connector for the vent valve. I bought the car from a friend who rebuilt the motor, and then was hospitalized and in a coma for almost 2 months. When he finally recovered (thank god!) he had a hard time remembering how some of the motor\components went. I would NEVER buy a car that I've never seen run from a stranger, but I know I can trust this car to run; I bought it from a good friend who, due to health issues, can't remember some of what he did.My manual is very general, and has no diagram of the evap system, and the wiring schematic doesn't help much either. I need to see the evap system up close, so I know where to go. Probably need to go to a wrecking yard and see what I can see...... THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER!! ALL MY ALL!! DUTCH

#7 User is offline   DUTCHKILL1308 

• Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

View PostInjuneer, on 17 February 2011 - 03:08 AM, said:

Did you check the emissions diagram on the radiator cover? That will show what components you have in your system, and where they are located. In the V8's (93-95) there is only one electronic component, and that it the EVAP purge solenoid with a single electrical connection. I would expect the V6 system to be the same. In 96 they added a vacuum detection switch. Is that the second component you are asking about? If not, you need to post some pictures of the parts and where they were located. The vacuum switch was added in 96 when they went to OBD-II and needed an additional diagnostic to show whether the EVAP system was working. The 3.8L engine was introduced in the middle of the 95 model year, but its possible they added the switch since they knew the engine was going to be set up for OBD-II the next year. There is no connection on the OBD-I PCM for a vacuum switch.

Is your engine the original engine? If someone swapped in a later model engine, it would have the vacuum switch, but there wouldn't be anywhere to plug it in. Have you scanned the PCM for codes? A disconnected component would set a code.

IT IS THE ORIGINAL MOTOR, AND IS A 95 3.8L V-6. THE 95 WAS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE OBDll SYSTEM, BUT YOU MAY HAVE SOMETHING WITH THERE NOT BEING A NEED\CONNECTION FOR THE VACUUM SWITCH\CANISTER VENT VALVE. I THINK MY BEST BET IS TO SEE THE DEALER AND ASK THEM WHAT THEY KNOW, OR GO TO A WRECKING YARD AND LOOK AROUND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! I SEE YOUR POINT ON THERE NOT BEING A CONNECTOR FOR THE VAC. SWITCH, BUT IT HAS THE SWITCH, BUT NO CONNECTOR. VERY TROUBLING!! ALL MY ALL!! DUTCH

#8 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

I'm not so sure you have an OBD-II setup. 1996 was the first year for GM across the board. In 95 they installed a 16-pin OBD-II "style" ALDL connector, but at least on the V8 models, they still used an OBD-I PCM. I thought the 3.8L V6 was the same, but maybe someone who owns a 95 3.8L V6 can confirm whether it's OBD-I (two-digit DTC codes) or OBD-II (Pxxxx 4-digit DTC codes).
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

#9 User is offline   DUTCHKILL1308 

• Pip
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

View PostInjuneer, on 17 February 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

I'm not so sure you have an OBD-II setup. 1996 was the first year for GM across the board. In 95 they installed a 16-pin OBD-II "style" ALDL connector, but at least on the V8 models, they still used an OBD-I PCM. I thought the 3.8L V6 was the same, but maybe someone who owns a 95 3.8L V6 can confirm whether it's OBD-I (two-digit DTC codes) or OBD-II (Pxxxx 4-digit DTC codes).

I READ IN MY REPAIR MANUAL THE SAME THING, BUT THE MANUAL ALSO SAID THE ONLY WAY TO BE COMPLETELY SURE WAS BY THE UNDER HOOD STICKER. IT'S OBD-ll. THEY HAVE THE OBD-ll SYSTEM IN '95 AND '96 3.8L V-6 MODELS, AND THE OBD-l SYSTEM IN THE '95 AND '96 3.4L V-6 MODELS. FROM THE '97 NEW YEAR MODEL ON, IT'S ALL OBD-ll. IT TOOK A LITTLE RESEARCH TO LEARN ALL THIS, BUT NOW I KNOW WHY THEY ALWAYS LIST THE '95\'96 MODELS APART FROM ALL OTHER GEN. 4 FIREBIRDS. ALSO, I SOLVED THE "MISSING EVAC PLUG MYSTERY"!! THE CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID PLUG WAS UNDER THE VALVE COVER!! I BOUGHT THIS CAR FROM A FRIEND WHO, IN THE MIDDLE OF REBUILDING THE MOTOR, ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL. IT'S NO SMALL WONDER THAT AFTER 2 MONTHS IN A COMA, HE MY HAVE BEEN A LITTLE OUT OF SORTS FINISHING THE JOB! SOMEHOW, HE DIDN'T NOTICE THE PLUG WAS IN THE WAY WHEN HE PUT THE VALVE COVER ON!! I THINK I SHOULD BE O.K. FROM HERE. I THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS WHO HELPED TRY TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE WITH ME, AND I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED. WITH ANY LUCK, I SHOULD HAVE MY 'BIRD FLYING SOON!! THANX AGAIN TO YOU ALL!! DUTCH

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users