Firebird Nation: 94 TransAm: Trunk flooded! - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

94 TransAm: Trunk flooded! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Aquanet 

• Pontiac Firebird Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Gabriela
  • City:Los Angeles
  • State or Province:CA
  • Year: 1994
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: V8
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

It's been raining cats, dogs, and raccoons all week and I just noticed today that my trunk was flooded! There was about 1" of water, scooped it out but I'm sure tomorrow morning there will be more. Rain is supposed to finally move out by Thursday, will tear our carpet and check out any damage.
Please provide me som insight as to what the hell happened, lol. Thanks in advance folks!

#2 User is offline   bird21 

• Firebird Tune up Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:john
  • City:portland
  • State or Province:TN
  • Interests:Pontiac firebird, GTO's, fiero's
    Chevy trucks and camaros!
    football,fighting,cars.
  • Year: 2000
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: 3800 v6
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

which part of the trunk is flooded?
do u have any galss or window seals? there suppose to be some all the way around the glass.
dumb question but are u sure your trunk is closed all the way?
Posted Image

Posted Image

• k&n cold air inatake
  • k&n oil filter
  • pacester headers, shortys
  • flowmaster dual exhaust
  • high flow magnaflow cat

#3 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Simon
  • City:Central Ohio Region
  • State or Province:OH
  • Interests:Firebirds, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, E-bodies, W-bodies, professional automotive repair, automotive electronics and audio, body work, upholstery, detailing, weightlifting, NASCAR, baseball, football, heavy metal, big 80s hair/sweet mullets, and first and foremost my wife, family, friends, and the Almighty God.
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1 OHV V8
  • Transmission: 4L60

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:09 AM

Bruja,
This might be a long shot. Are your tail lights badly delaminated? Can you see the outer surface of the lens separating from the rest of the tail light assemby? Is there a lot of visible moisture inside the lenses?

My original tail lamps were so bad that on one side that I actually had standing water inside the lens. The only thing between water in your tail lamp assembly and your trunk is the rubber-like gasket that seals the lamp sockets against the assembly. I know the rain in Socal has been ridiculous lately!

Also, if you open your hatch and look at either corner nearest the rear of the car, you should see a black ramp-looking thing on each side. That's the drain channel for the recessed lip that surrounds the hatch so water doesn't just sit there. The channels drain water down on top of the outer edges of your tail lamps. If the tail lamps are sealing properly, the water just runs down around them and down the surface of the rear bumper (if you hand wash your car you'll notice how water likes to "hide" around your tail lamps when you go to dry it). If the tail lamps have been removed, which in the life of a 16-year old Trans Am I can almost guarantee has happened, whoever replaced them may not have done it correctly. When you pull the carpet away from the rear of the car in the trunk compartment, you'll see several black plastic wing nuts screwed onto threaded studs. Carefully remove the speaker trim panels on either side, paying a little extra attention to the passenger side with the spare tire. (You will likely have to loosen the spare tire and move it as well.) There are wing nuts for the tail lamps on the outboard edges of the assemblies. If someone replaced the assembly and skipped a step properly securing it, the outermost stud on the passenger side would be the one skipped. Again, these are long shots, but unless your hatch wasn't closed all the way or your weatherstripping is badly damaged, you should not have an inch of water in your trunk. Let us know. :crossfingers22:
"Simon, you finally moved on from those punk-a** V6s and turbo 4-cylinder cars." -- Mike R.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am..."Abygail"...Black...5.7L LT1 OHV V8...4L60
U1A CD player, '02 Firebird Monsoon Amplifier (12 speakers!), HUD, '91 Grand Prix UK3/NP5 steering wheel, SiriusXM, etc.
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE..."Robbyn"...Neon Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
UB3 digital cluster, UP3 CD player, 10-disc changer, DIC, HUD, AQ9s, SGS switch, Firebird Monsoon amplifier (10 speakers!), etc.
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE..."Missy"...Bright Aqua Metallic...3.1L L82 OHV V6...4T60E
Pontiac Firebird UW2 amplifier, sail panel tweeters (8 speakers), UP3 CD player, GT tail lights, GT exhaust, etc.
1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Troféo..."Norma"...Light Driftwood Metallic...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Olds Alero UQ3 amplifier coming???
1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL..."Stormi"...Bright Red...3.1L LH0 OHV V6...4T60
UB3 digital cluster, UQ3 amplifier, Audio Bass Control slider, U1C CD player, Driver Information System, leather AQ9s, etc.

1992 Buick Riviera..."Josephine"...Sapphire Blue Firemist...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Buick Century Monsoon amplifier coming???

1988 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz..."Emma"...White...4.5L LR6 OHV V8...440-T4
Delco/Bose Gold Series CD player!!!!! N-Body Monsoon configuration in the works...gonna bang!
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34..."Summer"...Medium Maui Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
Not pictured - Delco CD player, Chevy Camaro Monsoon amp coming???

WANTED: 1990 CHEVROLET BERETTA INDY - Know anyone who has one? Let me know! Let them know!
"NERDS? I MAKE NERDS JEALOUS. NERDS THINK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT I DO."
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Aquanet 

• Pip

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

This is why you guys are awesome!

Trunk was indeed closed all the way, I didn't check out the stripping because it was dark out and pouring rain but my brother did mention to me he saw water IN my tail lights. I see blue skies peeking out today so I shall take part in the suggestions and take a look and see!

The part that was flooded was the very back, where the "trunk" dips down.

I'll report back soon!

#5 User is offline   88gtman 

• Pontiac Firebird Mechanic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:"Scott"
  • City:Pensacola
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1998
  • Engine: LS1
  • Transmission: Auto 4 speed 4L60E

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

Try having a friend run a hose over the rear hatch while you get inside and look for a source of the leakage. More than likely a seal or weather stripping around the back glass. With that that much water getting in it shouldn't take long to find the leak.
Speed Kills. Drive an import live forever.

98 Pontiac Trans Am A4
Granatelli air lid, Pro Products 85mm Throttle Body, BBK SSI Intake Manifold, TSP Long Tube Headers, TSP ORY, Hooker Areo Chamber Catback, Custom Tune, BMR LCA's, BMR strut tower brace, Founders adjustable torque arm, RPM slotted rotors, and EBC Red Stuff brake pads.
1/8th mile - 8.7593 @ 82.72mph before Throttle Body, Tune, Headers, Y pipe. New times will be listed when I can get to a track.

#6 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Firebirds, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, E-bodies, W-bodies, professional automotive repair, automotive electronics and audio, body work, upholstery, detailing, weightlifting, NASCAR, baseball, football, heavy metal, big 80s hair/sweet mullets, and first and foremost my wife, family, friends, and the Almighty God.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

I'm curious to hear how this one turns out. Keep us posted.

The more I've thought about this, the less likely I believe it to be weatherstripping-related. You said the deepest portion of your trunk is wet. Is there any other wet carpeting back there? Reach into the recess on the driver side (where that "shelf" is and feel around in there. Is the shelf carpeting wet? Is the rear deck carpeting wet (the flat area between the back of the rear seat and the close-out panel)? If you had a weatherstripping leak, it would have to be pretty bad and I believe the likelihood of other carpeting being soaked would be high. A leak located at the rear of the hatch is unlikely, because again, the way water channels and drains off of the car back there, it doesn't accumulate along the rear portion of the weatherstripping, and the weatherstripping sits a good 3/4" or so above the top of the tail light and filler panel assemblies.

On the subject of trunks, isn't the trunk space great in these cars? Just "large" enough for a suitcase, a few sacks of groceries, or a very short person.
"Simon, you finally moved on from those punk-a** V6s and turbo 4-cylinder cars." -- Mike R.
U1A CD player, '02 Firebird Monsoon Amplifier (12 speakers!), HUD, '91 Grand Prix UK3/NP5 steering wheel, SiriusXM, etc.
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE..."Robbyn"...Neon Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
UB3 digital cluster, UP3 CD player, 10-disc changer, DIC, HUD, AQ9s, SGS switch, Firebird Monsoon amplifier (10 speakers!), etc.
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE..."Missy"...Bright Aqua Metallic...3.1L L82 OHV V6...4T60E
Pontiac Firebird UW2 amplifier, sail panel tweeters (8 speakers), UP3 CD player, GT tail lights, GT exhaust, etc.
1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Troféo..."Norma"...Light Driftwood Metallic...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL..."Stormi"...Bright Red...3.1L LH0 OHV V6...4T60
UB3 digital cluster, UQ3 amplifier, Audio Bass Control slider, U1C CD player, Driver Information System, leather AQ9s, etc.

1992 Buick Riviera..."Josephine"...Sapphire Blue Firemist...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Buick Century Monsoon amplifier coming???

Delco/Bose Gold Series CD player!!!!! N-Body Monsoon configuration in the works...gonna bang!
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34..."Summer"...Medium Maui Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E

WANTED: 1990 CHEVROLET BERETTA INDY - Know anyone who has one? Let me know! Let them know!
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Aquanet 

• Pip

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

View Post1993TransAm, on 22 December 2010 - 02:39 PM, said:

I'm curious to hear how this one turns out. Keep us posted.

The more I've thought about this, the less likely I believe it to be weatherstripping-related. You said the deepest portion of your trunk is wet. Is there any other wet carpeting back there? Reach into the recess on the driver side (where that "shelf" is and feel around in there. Is the shelf carpeting wet? Is the rear deck carpeting wet (the flat area between the back of the rear seat and the close-out panel)? If you had a weatherstripping leak, it would have to be pretty bad and I believe the likelihood of other carpeting being soaked would be high. A leak located at the rear of the hatch is unlikely, because again, the way water channels and drains off of the car back there, it doesn't accumulate along the rear portion of the weatherstripping, and the weatherstripping sits a good 3/4" or so above the top of the tail light and filler panel assemblies.

On the subject of trunks, isn't the trunk space great in these cars? Just "large" enough for a suitcase, a few sacks of groceries, or a very short person.

LMAO, yes the trunk space is enough to stash away a very short person. Muahahaa.

So, mystery solved! A wingnut was missing from the threaded stud on the far right of the passenger side (next to the spare tire) and I did see visible moisture inside the lens. My dad ended up taking the carpeting out to let it air dry so no more indoor pool inside my car for the time being lol. Now my next problem with the trunk is that the hatch/door that doesn't hold up on it's own, have to use a stick, sooo not classy lol.

Again, thank you all, FBN to the rescue. :12EMOTICHEERS:

#8 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Glad you figured it out, Bruja! You can replace the gas shocks that hold the hatch open and it will be as good as new. They fail eventually - you get to see just how heavy that hatch really is then.

You should be able to find a replacement wing nut at a junkyard. They may still be available through GM too (most fasteners are). I strongly suggest obtaining an OEM replacement and not trying to put something else on there, or you'll have this problem again.

Keep in mind that you may have two separate issues with regard to moisture, tail lamp assemblies, and your trunk getting water in it. The water in the trunk probably was caused by the missing wing nut. The visible moisture inside the tail lamp assembly may have been caused by the partial separation of the outer lens of the tail lamp from from the rest of the assembly. Over time the bonding agent deteriorates and the lens slowly starts to peel away, typically from the top down, and from inboard outward. I've read that people have removed that outer lens and re-apply adhesive, but if you can figure out a way to remove that entire outer layer of brittle plastic without chipping or cracking it, let me know.

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   96firephoenix 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • First Name:AJ
  • City:Indianapolis
  • State or Province:IN
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Writing, Photography, Beer.
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800 Seres II
  • Transmission: Tremec 5sp Manual

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

just for the record, there's a drain plug in the bottom of that well that you could have pulled out. at least there is on my 96. glad you got it figured out.

from what I've been told for 93-95, the high-rise spoiler was an option on TAs rather than standard equipment, and I can tell you from my experience that water puddles on the base hatch and if there's a leak in the window seal, it would pool into the trunk

#10 User is offline   Aquanet 

• Pip

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

View Post1993TransAm, on 27 December 2010 - 10:50 AM, said:

Glad you figured it out, Bruja! You can replace the gas shocks that hold the hatch open and it will be as good as new. They fail eventually - you get to see just how heavy that hatch really is then.

You should be able to find a replacement wing nut at a junkyard. They may still be available through GM too (most fasteners are). I strongly suggest obtaining an OEM replacement and not trying to put something else on there, or you'll have this problem again.

Keep in mind that you may have two separate issues with regard to moisture, tail lamp assemblies, and your trunk getting water in it. The water in the trunk probably was caused by the missing wing nut. The visible moisture inside the tail lamp assembly may have been caused by the partial separation of the outer lens of the tail lamp from from the rest of the assembly. Over time the bonding agent deteriorates and the lens slowly starts to peel away, typically from the top down, and from inboard outward. I've read that people have removed that outer lens and re-apply adhesive, but if you can figure out a way to remove that entire outer layer of brittle plastic without chipping or cracking it, let me know.

I'm pretty sure I have that missing wingnut stashed away somewhere, it was removed when the bulb for the brakelight was replaced a couple weeks ago, I thought it was put back but apparently not, most likely the cause for my flooding!

Yeah no kidding on that hatch being heavy! I've gotten some bruises on my shoulders from getting knocked with it lol, any place you suggest for me to get those gas shocks at?

#11 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

View PostAquanet, on 27 December 2010 - 01:24 PM, said:

any place you suggest for me to get those gas shocks at?

They're available at places like Auto Zone. The shocks for the hood are still available too.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users