Firebird Nation: Speedometer off/abs inop light/low oil light - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speedometer off/abs inop light/low oil light Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   sardonicus 

• Pontiac Firebird Tire Changer
  • PipPip
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Devin
  • City:Commerce
  • State or Province:GA
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.4L V6
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Got a few questions

1: My speedometer is 7 mph off, the speedometer is showing on the fast side, what would cause that?

2: My abs inop light comes and goes, haven't been able to determine a pattern for when it comes on, and from time to time when applying the brakes they will give out for a moment, apply more pressure to the pedal and its fine. Any ideas?

3: I just got this car a couple months ago, so I'm still working out the kinks, I know it doesn't leak or burn oil, and I've been checking the oil regularly just to make sure that is correct. Every oil check tells me that the oil is at the proper levels, and yet my low oil light will come on from time to time. Any ideas?

4: My firebird is a 95, so I have the distinct misfortune of nothing being easy. I got a couple code readers and they're uselss. First, without looking at the plug, which was my mistake, I got a code reader that my local parts store suggested. it was a GM obd 1 reader, and as fate would have it my car has an obd 2 connecter. The computer is obd 1 though, so when I got a usb obd 2 code reader, and the software to go with it, it was also useless because apparently it's not backwards compatible. I'd really like to know what all my lights are trying to tell me, I've also got a service engine soon light on all the time and an airbag light all the time. Do they actually have code readers that will work on this car?

If these questions are in the wrong part of the forum I apologize.

#2 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention, as part of my questions, the fuel gauge reads overfull when you fill it, and just barely comes off full at about half tank. How would I go about troubleshooting that?

#3 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:John
  • City:Lafayette
  • State or Province:LA
  • Interests:Just working on cars and taking care of my daughters.
  • Year: 2000
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LS1 Owns You
  • Transmission: Manual T56 6 Speed

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

For the speedometer being off.

Different tire/rim sizes from the factory. And gear ratio change in the rearend as well.

As for reading codes I believe Fred(Injunner) said that the 95 fbodys had a obd 2 connect but still used obd 1 computer and you would need a adapter to read it right.
Sold but not forgotten. 443rwhp/411rwtq, 12.11 at 115.57mph, 5% Black Tint all the way around, Black C6 Z06 Deep Dish Corvette Rims, Ventslide Black Taillight Covers, Pacesetter LT Headers with TSP Rumbler Exhaust, SLP Airlid with Holley Powershot Airfilter, SLP Smooth Bellow, Tuned By Ragin Racin, Descreened MAF EGR/AIR Delete, No CATS, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eibach Lowering Springs, SLP Bilstein Struts on the front, Comp Drag Shocks on the rear, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI Adjustable Torque Arm w. Driveshaft Safteyloop, Pro 5.0 Shifter with a Lou's Short Stick, SLP Line Lock, Powerslot Double Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LS7 Clutch with LS2 Flywheel, Mcloed Adjustable Master Cylinder,Taylor 10.4mm Race Wires, LS6 Intake and PP 85mm Throttle Body, Track Rims & Tires(Rear Weld Rims and M/T ET Streets, Front Summitracing Sports and Nexas Skinnies), PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads, ARP Head and Cam Bolts, Torquer V2 Cam, 37lb Fuel Injectors, LS7 Lifters, Harden Pushrods,Yella Terra Roller Rockers, JP LS2 Timing Chain, Ported LS6 Oil Pump, LS6 PCV System. Moser 9 Inch Rearend with 4.11 gears 31 Spline Axles and Detroit Tru-Trac Posi Unit.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thank you for the adapter info, I will see if I can find one. As far as the tires and gear ratio, it's got 16 inch tires which I think is factory standard, and to my knowledge nothing has been changed in the rear end, anything else that would cause the speedometer to be off?

View PostFSTLS1TA, on 22 November 2010 - 06:42 PM, said:

For the speedometer being off.

Different tire/rim sizes from the factory. And gear ratio change in the rearend as well.

As for reading codes I believe Fred(Injunner) said that the 95 fbodys had a obd 2 connect but still used obd 1 computer and you would need a adapter to read it right.

#5 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

Not really what about the tire size of the car. is it also still factory.
Sold but not forgotten. 443rwhp/411rwtq, 12.11 at 115.57mph, 5% Black Tint all the way around, Black C6 Z06 Deep Dish Corvette Rims, Ventslide Black Taillight Covers, Pacesetter LT Headers with TSP Rumbler Exhaust, SLP Airlid with Holley Powershot Airfilter, SLP Smooth Bellow, Tuned By Ragin Racin, Descreened MAF EGR/AIR Delete, No CATS, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eibach Lowering Springs, SLP Bilstein Struts on the front, Comp Drag Shocks on the rear, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI Adjustable Torque Arm w. Driveshaft Safteyloop, Pro 5.0 Shifter with a Lou's Short Stick, SLP Line Lock, Powerslot Double Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LS7 Clutch with LS2 Flywheel, Mcloed Adjustable Master Cylinder,Taylor 10.4mm Race Wires, LS6 Intake and PP 85mm Throttle Body, Track Rims & Tires(Rear Weld Rims and M/T ET Streets, Front Summitracing Sports and Nexas Skinnies), PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads, ARP Head and Cam Bolts, Torquer V2 Cam, 37lb Fuel Injectors, LS7 Lifters, Harden Pushrods,Yella Terra Roller Rockers, JP LS2 Timing Chain, Ported LS6 Oil Pump, LS6 PCV System. Moser 9 Inch Rearend with 4.11 gears 31 Spline Axles and Detroit Tru-Trac Posi Unit.

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Honestly I'm not sure if it is factory, is 245/50 16 standard?

This post has been edited by sardonicus: 22 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

#7 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:05 PM

How did you check you speedometer for the 7 mph off.

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

You know those things they have on the side of the road every now and again that tell you how fast you are going? I went by one of those the other day and it said I was going 43, and my speedometer said I was going 50.

About that adapter, do you have any idea where I might find one? I had a quick look on google and I can find adapters that are backwards for what I need, but nothing that will fit my application.

View PostFSTLS1TA, on 22 November 2010 - 07:05 PM, said:

How did you check you speedometer for the 7 mph off.

This post has been edited by sardonicus: 22 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

#9 User is offline   FSTLS1TA 

• FBN Master Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

Not really on the adapter send a PM to Fred(Injuneer). My info is more on the LS1 engines.

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

Will do. Thank you.

View PostFSTLS1TA, on 22 November 2010 - 07:23 PM, said:

Not really on the adapter send a PM to Fred(Injuneer). My info is more on the LS1 engines.

#11 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

If the tire size is throwing off the speedometer, could it also throw off how the abs and traction control works?

#12 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:East Brunswick
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + O/D

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Speedo error is usually a percentage, not a fixed number of MPH. Speedo reading 50 when the radar indicate 43 MPH is a 16.3% error. That large an error can not be caused simply by a tire size difference. If your stock tires were 26" diameter, your present tires would have to be 22.4" diameter. They would look like roller skate wheels.

Stock tires on your car were either 215/60-16 (26.2") with the "base" V6 package, or 235/55-16 (26.2") with the Y87 V6 performance package. The 245/50-16's (25.7") were only used on the V8 cars that had the Z-rated tire option. So far, the tires are causing the speedo to read about 2% higher than actual speed - as noted, not enough to account for your 16.3% error.

If you got good data from the roadside radar, the most likely cause of the error would be a rear axle swap. If your car started its life with 2.73's, someone could have installed 3.23's for example. Or maybe changed 3.08's to 3.42's.

Speedo error will not affect the ABS system. The system activates when one of the wheels is approaching "0" rotational velocity, while the other wheels are still turning at a higher rate of speed. Its the relative speed of the wheels, not the absolute speed.

I gave you the link to Shoebox's wire jumpers for the 12-pin --> 16-pin OBD-I ALDL connector. Check your private conversation for the response:

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

You can not read ABS or airbag codes with a common "code reader" or PCM scanner. You need a high end tool like the Tech-1 and Tech-2 tools that GM mechanics use.

When the ABS suddenly kicks in for no reason just before the car stops, its often a dirty wheel speed sensor. Most common problem is the one on top of the differential housing. Pull the sensor out and clean it off. The metal particles from the gears will accumulate on the sensor.

If your oil is at the correct operating level, but the oil level light comes on, its most likely a faulty sensor, or faulty wiring. The oill has to be really low to turn that light on.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#13 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

Is there a way that I can tell what rear end is in the car now? I bought the car from someone that obviously did some work to it, though I have no way to tell accurately what was done. I know it's been painted, and a ram air hood was put on it, neither of those things would be particularly cheap so it is safe to assume that a rear end swap might have been done.

#14 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Another thing, would the different tire size or a rear end swap have any effect on the traction control system?

#15 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Card carrying member - NHRA and AARP! Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:55 AM

Traction control was not standard equipment. Does your car even have it (RPO code "NW9")? Traction control responds to relative differences in wheel speeds as well. If the front wheels are standing still, and the rear wheels start to rotate, TCS determines the rear wheels have lost traction, and responds. As long as you have the same outside diameter tires front and rear, you will not cause any problems if you depart from the stock tire sizes. If you had different diameter tires front and rear, it MIGHT have an effect, it the difference in tire diameters was large.

The rear axle ratio does not affect traction control. TCS reads the rotations of the axles, using sensors on the end of each axle backing plate.

You need to jack of the rear end of the car. Mark the tires and mark the driveshaft. Rotate the tires (together) one full turn. Count the rotations of the driveshaft. The number of turns of the DS is the rear axle ratio. Alternatively, pull the cover off the diff housing, and count the ring gear teeth and the pinion gear teeth, and divide the number of ring gear teeth by the number of pinion gear teeth.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

NO PHOTOS - MY WEBSITE IS BEING MOVED TO ANOTHER SERVER - SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

#16 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Hate to sound like an idiot but RPO code? Tires on the front and back are the same size. Would the traction control light even be able to come on if it didn't have that system?

View PostInjuneer, on 24 November 2010 - 09:55 AM, said:

Traction control was not standard equipment. Does your car even have it (RPO code "NW9")? Traction control responds to relative differences in wheel speeds as well. If the front wheels are standing still, and the rear wheels start to rotate, TCS determines the rear wheels have lost traction, and responds. As long as you have the same outside diameter tires front and rear, you will not cause any problems if you depart from the stock tire sizes. If you had different diameter tires front and rear, it MIGHT have an effect, it the difference in tire diameters was large.

The rear axle ratio does not affect traction control. TCS reads the rotations of the axles, using sensors on the end of each axle backing plate.

You need to jack of the rear end of the car. Mark the tires and mark the driveshaft. Rotate the tires (together) one full turn. Count the rotations of the driveshaft. The number of turns of the DS is the rear axle ratio. Alternatively, pull the cover off the diff housing, and count the ring gear teeth and the pinion gear teeth, and divide the number of ring gear teeth by the number of pinion gear teeth.

#17 User is offline   1993TransAm 

• DELCO NERD
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Simon
  • City:Central Ohio Region
  • State or Province:OH
  • Interests:Firebirds, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, E-bodies, W-bodies, professional automotive repair, automotive electronics and audio, body work, upholstery, detailing, weightlifting, NASCAR, baseball, football, heavy metal, big 80s hair/sweet mullets, and first and foremost my wife, family, friends, and the Almighty God.
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1 OHV V8
  • Transmission: 4L60

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

RPO (Regular Production Option) codes are located on the "Service Parts Identification" label located inside your glovebox.
"Simon, you finally moved on from those punk-a** V6s and turbo 4-cylinder cars." -- Mike R.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am..."Abygail"...Black...5.7L LT1 OHV V8...4L60
U1A CD player, '02 Firebird Monsoon Amplifier (12 speakers!), HUD, '91 Grand Prix UK3/NP5 steering wheel, SiriusXM, etc.
1992 Pontiac Richard Petty Special Edition Grand Prix SE..."Robbyn"...Neon Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
UB3 digital cluster, UP3 CD player, 10-disc changer, DIC, HUD, AQ9s, SGS switch, Firebird Monsoon amplifier (10 speakers!), etc.
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE..."Missy"...Bright Aqua Metallic...3.1L L82 OHV V6...4T60E
Pontiac Firebird UW2 amplifier, sail panel tweeters (8 speakers), UP3 CD player, GT tail lights, GT exhaust, etc.
1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Troféo..."Norma"...Light Driftwood Metallic...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Olds Alero UQ3 amplifier coming???
1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL..."Stormi"...Bright Red...3.1L LH0 OHV V6...4T60
UB3 digital cluster, UQ3 amplifier, Audio Bass Control slider, U1C CD player, Driver Information System, leather AQ9s, etc.

1992 Buick Riviera..."Josephine"...Sapphire Blue Firemist...3.8L L27 OHV V6...4T60E
Delco cassette player, Remote CD player, Buick Century Monsoon amplifier coming???

1988 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz..."Emma"...White...4.5L LR6 OHV V8...440-T4
Delco/Bose Gold Series CD player!!!!! N-Body Monsoon configuration in the works...gonna bang!
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34..."Summer"...Medium Maui Blue Metallic...3.4L LQ1 DOHC V6...4T60E
Not pictured - Delco CD player, Chevy Camaro Monsoon amp coming???

WANTED: 1990 CHEVROLET BERETTA INDY - Know anyone who has one? Let me know! Let them know!
"NERDS? I MAKE NERDS JEALOUS. NERDS THINK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT I DO."
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

It appears the obd1 code reader thing that I've got doesn't have the same pin configuration as the one in the picture. The label says that it is for 82 to 95 year model cars, so it should work, but I don't seem to be able to make it work with the wire jumper picture on my code reader thing there is no pin where it says pin M should be, the pin in that row is on the other side. Any thoughts, or am I just outta luck.

#19 User is offline   sardonicus 

• PipPip

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Found the sticker with the RPO codes and no NW, although that sticker also says it's got keyless entry stuff, and it doesn't. The sticker also tells me the rear axle should be 3.23, I am replacing shocks and springs in the rear this week and will confirm.

This post has been edited by sardonicus: 24 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

#20 User is offline   Injuneer 

• Just Trying to Help
  • View gallery

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

What traction contol light is coming on? All the cars have a "LOW TRAC" light. If you only have ABS, that light comes on when the ABS activates.

What OBD-I code reader did you get? There is a very cheap (~$30) Actron that is called a "code reader", but all it really is, is a connector the leads to a switch that shorts the pins in the ALDL connector, and flashes the trouble codes on the SES light. It even says on the box it will work with 94 or 95, but it won't. 1993 was the last year you could short the pins on the ALDL connector to flash the codes. And to do that, you don't need a $30 code reader, you just need a 2-cent paper clip.

Sounds like you may have the wrong device. What you need is an OBD-I SCANNER, nt a "code reader". In all the years I've been working on these cars, and following them on these bulletin boards, I have never seen a "code reader" that will work on a 94/95.
1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA

FRED

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users