Firebird Nation: 75 pontiac 455 oil pan install question - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.

1970 - 1981 Pontiac Firebird
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

75 pontiac 455 oil pan install question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Full Member
  • First Name:Albert
  • City:Port Saint Lucie
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:family, cars, racing
  • Year: 1996
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6 Speed

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

Ok, I need help, I am trying to put a new oil pan gasket on for the 5th time. Everytime I have tried before it leaks from somewhere different. Can someone please give me the most basic installation instructions for this. Do you use silicone? Are cork gaskets all they make for this engine? I bought the Milodon MIL-30770 about 6 or so years ago and put it on last year and have nothing but leak after leak. The oil pan has 4 holes in the front timing cover and 3 holes on one side in the rear and 2 on the other. The reason I am saying that is to make sure I have the right pan and timing cover. The issue I am having on this one is the rear lip seal refuses to stay in and bulges in one spot or another. Also the gasket pushes out on the sides before hand tight. It is costing me $20.00 everytime I screw it up. I am going to try one more time before I put a chevy motor in, lol.... :jk22: ... But I am at wits end with it..
Thank you in advance for your help
Albert
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL
Remember there is always someone who needs the parts you send to the junkyard
Membership is what helps sites like ours succeed, SIGN UP TODAY!!
Membership Details can be found here: http://www.firebirdnation.com/club/

Posted Image
96 TRANS AM - SLP ceramic coated shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, SLP intake going in the bumper under the driverside light, Short throw shifter, Honeycomb tailights, Corvette styled 5 spoke rims with 315/35/17 Sumitomo rears 245/45/17 Fuzion HTI front tires, Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, Accel optispark, Skip-shift eliminator, more to come...

1975 Trans Am SOLD -& MISSED -- THE 75 MOD LIST - C.E. SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT, 3 WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND, ENERGY SUSPENSION FROM FRONT TO BACK, FLOWMASTER SUPPER 44 x2, LONG TUBE HEADERS, JEGS 3" EXHAUST PIPES, RUSSLES BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES FRONT AND BACK, TCI STREET FIGHTER 400 TRANNY WITH 2200 STALL CONVERTER, NEW WIRING, AND MORE TO COME

THE 95 TRANS AM SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#2 User is offline   72 blackbird 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Account Disabled
  • State or Province:AL

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

Albert,
The best fitting oil pan IMO is still the OEM oil pan w/ a baffle- as well as that pan fits, plenty of Pontiac engine builders still get leaks after installing them. I've had the best success by installing the pan when the engine is mounted on an engine stand, putting an additional bead of silicone where the timing cover meets the block, and where the rear cap mates to the block. It's also a good idea to silicone the rear rubber pan seal. After siliconing the gaskets and setting the pan down, set all bolts down finger-tight, and re-tighten after the silicone dries.

Geno

#3 User is offline   Alan70 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • View gallery
  • Group: FBNCC Member
  • First Name:Alan
  • City:Reno
  • State or Province:NV
  • Year: 2011
  • Make: harley
  • Model: ultra limited
  • Engine: 103
  • Transmission: 6 speed

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:08 AM

Someone told me also with your type pan to ruff up where the gasket goes on pan this is suppose to help and also what geno says is a good idea also. I have had the same issues from the last chrome pan to which I got the comment of ruffing pan. I am going to buy a mildon deep pan myself, and was told to do this with that pan also. Just like anything you do normally is make it a non slick surface. Good luck ! I think I will try Geno's Idea also on this build I am doing.

#4 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:57 AM

View Post72 blackbird, on 01 October 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

Albert,
The best fitting oil pan IMO is still the OEM oil pan w/ a baffle- as well as that pan fits, plenty of Pontiac engine builders still get leaks after installing them. I've had the best success by installing the pan when the engine is mounted on an engine stand, putting an additional bead of silicone where the timing cover meets the block, and where the rear cap mates to the block. It's also a good idea to silicone the rear rubber pan seal. After siliconing the gaskets and setting the pan down, set all bolts down finger-tight, and re-tighten after the silicone dries.

Geno

Thank you Alan and Geno.
That is a great idea Geno, and when you do tighten it down the gasket does not push out or leak? I found this oil pan gasket at Butler Performance

http://www.jbp-ponti...asketRubber.jpg

http://www.jbp-ponti...sketRubber2.jpg

It is a steel renforced one piece rubber gasket $49.95. Has anyone used this and had any success?
Thanks again
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image
96 TRANS AM - SLP ceramic coated shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, SLP intake going in the bumper under the driverside light, Short throw shifter, Honeycomb tailights, Corvette styled 5 spoke rims with 315/35/17 Sumitomo rears 245/45/17 Fuzion HTI front tires, Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, Accel optispark, Skip-shift eliminator, more to come...

1975 Trans Am SOLD -& MISSED -- THE 75 MOD LIST - C.E. SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT, 3 WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS ALL AROUND, ENERGY SUSPENSION FROM FRONT TO BACK, FLOWMASTER SUPPER 44 x2, LONG TUBE HEADERS, JEGS 3" EXHAUST PIPES, RUSSLES BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES FRONT AND BACK, TCI STREET FIGHTER 400 TRANNY WITH 2200 STALL CONVERTER, NEW WIRING, AND MORE TO COME

#5 User is offline   72 blackbird 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

The one-piece oil pan gasket sold by BOP and Butler are similar to the 1-piece oil pan gasket for SBC's- it installs in a similar manner and should give a leak-free seal, provided you can install it properly. I'll be installing a BOP 1-piece seal on the 326 I'm building for a customer, since he also believes the only way to seal a Pontiac V-8 is to use the one piece oil pan seal. The rubber 1-piece seal isn't the only way to do it, but it sure makes it alot easier to do than the 3 rubber-cork gaskets and separate rear main cap rubber seal.

Roughing up the oil pan mating surface will give the silicone something to grab onto, but thorough cleaning of the pan rails to insure they're free of oil and grease will ensure it grabs to the gasket after the silicone dries and sets up.

Geno

#6 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

View Post72 blackbird, on 02 October 2010 - 10:18 AM, said:

The one-piece oil pan gasket sold by BOP and Butler are similar to the 1-piece oil pan gasket for SBC's- it installs in a similar manner and should give a leak-free seal, provided you can install it properly. I'll be installing a BOP 1-piece seal on the 326 I'm building for a customer, since he also believes the only way to seal a Pontiac V-8 is to use the one piece oil pan seal. The rubber 1-piece seal isn't the only way to do it, but it sure makes it alot easier to do than the 3 rubber-cork gaskets and separate rear main cap rubber seal.

Roughing up the oil pan mating surface will give the silicone something to grab onto, but thorough cleaning of the pan rails to insure they're free of oil and grease will ensure it grabs to the gasket after the silicone dries and sets up.

Geno

Thanks again Geno..
I ordered another oil pan gasket and it will be here at 5 pm. I am going to exactly what you said because it makes alot of sense. In the event it does not work due to my experiance or lack there of I will be ordering the rubber one piece. How tight should the pan bolts be? I just need a reference so I know im not going too tight. Like I said I am trying to follow the book on this one. :29rulez: :29rulez: .

I hope I can have the engine installed by tomorrow, I still have to put the top end on. Just a reminder for me, I put the rocker nuts on and tighten to 25ft/lbs and thats it? No rotating from cylinder to cylinder? I just put it at TDC and tighten all the nuts?
Thanks again Geno
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Badass Pontiac 

• Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • First Name:Beau
  • City:lincoln
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:PONTIAC, hunting, fishing, and learning about cars
  • Year: 1973
  • Model: Formula firebird
  • Engine: chevy 350
  • Transmission: turbo 350

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

well if it doesnt work out for you i got a SBC 350 in my bird that id be more than willing to trade you for your 455

#8 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

View PostBadass Pontiac, on 02 October 2010 - 04:52 PM, said:

well if it doesnt work out for you i got a SBC 350 in my bird that id be more than willing to trade you for your 455

I am sure you are, lol.. I have a LT1 for that route... Thanks for the offer :12EMOTICHEERS:
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   96TA 

• just another car guy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

:crossfingers22: I think I have the oil pan on and leak free :crossfingers22:
I will not know untill I get the motor in and running but im confident that the advice from Geno and Alan is the best and will work, it went so much better then the previous 5 or so attempts :22gloomyandsad: .

Now I am having a cam delema, see the topic 73 poncho cam question/problem

Thanks guys once again
Albert
Albert
Treasure Coast, FL

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   72 blackbird 

• Firebird Master Tech.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Albert,
As I mentioned before if you run a high lift aftermarket cam you need to convert to an adjustable valvetrain- the non-adjustable Pontiac bottleneck studs will not work.

Geno

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users